Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post

My philosophy since that day is if you feel like taking a day off and playing, take it off and play, work ethics will get your hurt.
    Profound statement, Master Yoda you are.

Now I know why you are the Colonel. I will strive to live by that philosophy.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I have the perfect part-time job. I retired at 67 and immediately took a job at an indoor municipal range two miles from my house. I have the credentials, all types of training is provided, and at 73 can still outshoot most of my fellow co-workers which keeps them from making fun of my elderly status.

Which brings to mind it is really nice to have some sort of part time job that hopefully supports your hobby.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    I have the perfect part-time job. I retired at 67 and immediately took a job at an indoor municipal range two miles from my house. I have the credentials, all types of training is provided, and at 73 can still outshoot most of my fellow co-workers which keeps them from making fun of my elderly status.

Which brings to mind it is really nice to have some sort of part time job that hopefully supports your hobby.
    Appears you are the person that the phrase...."living a dream" was written for!!!

For sure. I'd love to have a range 2 miles from home weather I worked there or not. But if I did I'd work there. I'd find a way.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post

I retired from the Bureau of Prisons in 2005 and started managing at the Vandenberg AFB Rod & Gun Club, http://vafbgunclub.com/ just recently retired from there. I too thought it would be great to work there since I'd been shooting there since 1982....wrong....I found out that:

Working at a gun club turns a hobby into a job.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Good point. If there's ever a range 2 miles from my house I'll just shoot there every day but I won't work there.

My first on the job training after becoming a derelict was at a gun shop with a range. Nice facility but poor management. I found that I didn't have time to do much shooting, in fact I don't recall shooting any in the month I was there. I worked for free since the state was supposedly supporting me.
    Owner replaced me with another guy. Coworkers told me he only lasted two days.

Even being near deaf, I outsold all the others but they loved it since it was commission and since I didn't get it I'd put the number of who ever I was working with on the sale so they'd get it. Owner was more focused on selling and not helping customers make wise choices.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I can see taking a part time job just to get off my lazy butt. Not sure where I'd want to work, it probably doesn't matter actually. Work is work, play is play.

My duties at my retirement job.
    We have two RSO inside on the lines at all times. We do not have customers, we have friends. Much of my salary goes to fund the ammo I donate to new shooters whose partner hands him or her a .357 magnum for their first experience. We quickly get them aside with one of our 22's and after a few minutes of basic instruction, we have them outshooting their partner who is struggling with their big bore proving their manhood.
    We have has customers from all over the world who have little or no access to firearms and we RSO's make sure they have the experience of firing our personal guns, everything from an AR15 to any caliber handgun in our gun boxes. Their evening is capped by them gathering for pictures under the 6' American flag on our wall. We have parents bring in their young kids and we set them up with a scoped bolt action rifle over a bench and have the pleasure of seeing their first shot in the bullseye.
    We also teach basic handgun courses to new and inexperienced shooters. We have a state of the art 120° virtual range that has dozens of scenarios allowing ordinary people to experience what police officers experience on a daily basis. Advanced tactical training is offered as well as carry permit courses.

This is without question the most rewarding job I have ever held and every time I leave for "work" two hours early my wife says, have fun playing with your friends. Believe me, I would pay them to let me work there.
    If you are ever in the area, http://policeandfire.training/public-programs/
    "Never pet a burning dog"

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

340pd, your right. I've made a lot of friends working at the R&G Club. The part of the Club that makes it a "JOB" is dealing with all the Air Force Regulations, on top of all California's bull...., both have plenty of them, you know what I'm talking about if you checked our website link I posted above.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    That's one of the things they encouraged in the hospital when I was getting fixed. Anytime you feel sorry for yourself just look around, there's somebody worse off.
    Heck the chair ain't a bad thing, I can get the remote without getting up, do all sorts of things without getting up, course I can't get to someplaces too.

OK the chair really sucks and I don't recommend it to nobody.

My philosophy since that day is if you feel like taking a day off and playing, take it off and play, work ethics will get your hurt.
    And that fer sure be truth! I've never been big on feeling sorry for myself...no point in it to my mind. Guess that's why I've never let this cancer thing bother me much. And my hat's off to you, Col....what happened to you, being cut down early, is one hell of a lot worse than me going terminal toward the end of a full life.
    NRA Benefactor