Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun

Thread: Hello from Pompano Beach FL (CT40 Mag Issue)

Default Hello from Pompano Beach FL (CT40 Mag Issue)

Hello, I'm David - new member here. Glad I was able to find this forum here. I recently had my eye on a lightly used (almost new) Kahr CT40 in a shop near me, so I went ahead and purchased it. Unfortunately it only came with one magazine and I foolishly ejected it when when working the slide and checking the barrel. Anyways, upon further inspection when I got home, I realized that the magazine would not fully seat in the gun without significant force applied. If you just insert it normally, it will not seat. Obviously the first this to do would be to get another magazine, but the shop doesn't have one, so i have ordered one online for $30. Just wondering if anyone has had an issue like this and if i should be worried about the overall function of the gun itself. Still waiting on the magazine to arrive but any tips or info on whether or not this is a common problem or if ill have to send it in to Kahr would be helpful. Thanks, all.

Is it hitting on the slide stop which is sometimes hard to push past or gets close and just won't quite latch up?

I'd lock the slide back and then seat the mag, that should make it very easy. I often time push the mag release button as I insert the mag so it gets past the catch with little effort and to me just saves wear and tear.

You might also load a round (if you haven't already) in the mag as you load the mag, that might help.
    They do some times require a pretty good push to seat.

Keep playing, we'll figure it out. Glad you found us.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the quick reply! With my limited knowledge, after examining the mag, it seems that there is a small metal dimple on what I assume you'd call the follower (the small black plastic piece that pushes the rounds into the chamber). The dimple appears to be worn, as I can see some small marks on it. I cleaned and lubed the gun, and inspected the inside of the grip where the mag lock/release mechanism is located and everything appears to be smooth and in good condition so I'm thinking that the firearm isn't necessarily the issue. I think its that dimple on the mag, but I could be wrong of course. Im hoping a new magazine will show me what the dimple should look like.

I should probably add that when I say significant force, i mean im practically slamming my palm on the mag after i insert it. It drops out quickly and easily when I press the mag release.

The "dimple" is what engages the slide lock to (duh) lock the slide on an empty mag. If the slide is not locked back already when you put in an empty mag you have to overcome the slide lock function with the magazine. It's the same reason it's hard to release the slide lock with an empty mag in the gun. Like Bawanna said, try inserting the mag with a round in the mag or alternately try inserting the mag with the slide locked back. It should be a lot easier.

Okay, I see now. Thanks for the info, will def try this later. Is this normal for handguns or specific to the CT40, I've had a few handguns and for most it never seemed to matter whether the mag was empty or not.

I would venture to say it's pretty much the norm on all, just more noticeable on some than others.
    It's pretty much the case across the board on Kahr models.
    It's not what I consider a bad thing. Its kind of like the slide release being very difficult to release with an empty magazine but easy with a loaded one.
    It just tells you your trying to load an empty mag which don't do nobody a lick of good.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Tennessee welcome to the forum. Have you shot your new CT yet. Kahr's are good guns. Be sure and let us know how it works out.

I’ve had a few different models, by different manufacturer’s, that were a bit difficult to get in there without a bit of force. I would only worry about something like that if :
    1. The gun did not run well
    2. This was my intended carry gun. On a carry gun, I would not want anything to do with my weapon that requires extra force, etc. In a defensive situation (heart in throat), you want nothing that may induce “fumbling” or require you to take your eyes off of the bad guy. Also, if you end up one handed (as in the other arm/hand/shoulder had been shot), you might not be able to exert that additionaly needed force.

I would see if it runs well. If it does, and you intend to carry it, practice, practice, practice ejecting and loading that mag (without looking) so it is second nature.

Enjoy your new Kahr, and welcome to the forum. Lot’s of nice, helpful folks here!

I have had the same issue with a few different manufacturers. If I have the slide locked back on my XDm and slam a mag home the slide releases. I think that is normal on a few models but once you get used to how your=s functions you will be fine.
    "Never pet a burning dog"