Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr cw9 owner needs help

Default New Kahr cw9 owner needs help

Hi, I’m a new cw9 owner and new to the forum. I knew about the 200 round break in period before the gun is to be considered fully reliable. Seems a little excessive, but okay, fine. Before firing it I disassembled it and it looked clean except for some excess oil in the slide. No shavings or burrs were noticeable, so I wiped off the excess oil and went to the range and fired about 80 rounds through it and the great majority of them had failure to fully feed. The slide would stop about an inch short of its intended travel and I would have to slap the slide home before I could fire. 50 of the rounds were Perfeca so that could have contributed to the problem. I had never used those before. Can’t recall what the other 30 rounds were.

I disassembled the gun at home and gave it a normal cleaning. The second time at the range I shot 50 rounds of American Eagle and this time about 40-50% of the rounds fed normally - the others required the hand slap to further feed the round. So there was slight improvement. My concern is that I’m over halfway through the break in period and FTFs are way too frequent for a gun I bought for concealed carry. I’ve got a Hi Point C9 and a Phoenix Arms hp22a that combined cost less than my cw9 and those both worked fine with no FTFs right out of the box. I hate to think I’m going to have to return this gun to Kahr for repair but if it doesn’t straighten out soon I’ll have to send it back which is ironic given my experience of my other guns which are considered “cheapo” guns.

Is this a common experience? Do I have a lemon, or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by Redwood; 01-28-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Typos

Is the recoil spring assembled correctly... closed end to the rear against the flange?

Video here RSA re-assembly at about 3:10 and the slide stop spring re-assembly after that:

https://youtu.be/G2cZgVg_SwA
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

That many failures to return to battery after that many rounds with several types of ammo tells me something is wrong. Others will chime in with suggestions but I’d be shocked if this problem went away by itself.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Is the recoil spring assembled correctly... closed end to the rear against the flange?

Video here RSA re-assembly at about 3:10 and the slide stop spring re-assembly after that:

https://youtu.be/G2cZgVg_SwA
    wyntrout, yes the recoil spring is installed correctly. However at 4:30 in the video it says the “wire spring” needs to be over the pin hole when inserting the pin. That spring doesn’t extend fully across the pin hole and I can’t tell if it’s over the pin when I push the pin through the frame or not. I never heard that mentioned before. The slide racks normally and the slide catch functions normally. Thanks for the video.

I doesn't go all of the way across the hole. The video shows it and the protrusion on the slide lock lever has a shelf that the free end of the spring rests on inside the the frame. The spring pushes down on the protrusion to keep the slide lock lever depressed until the magazine is empty and the follower pushes up, overcoming the slide lock spring and causing the slide lock to engage and hold the slide to the rear. An empty magazine causes the slide lock to rise and hold the slide back. The little spring can cause malfunctions if it is pushed inside or below the protrusion. This can damage the little spring and it can't fulfill its other function of holding the slide lock pin in the frame by riding in the pin's detent. The slide lock can can back out and cause malfunctions.

Your spring should look like the one in the video or this picture:

More about his here:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...om-Kahr-manual

Manual.pdf here: http://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Make sure you have a firm grip on the gun. You may be limpwristing. Here's a video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka556--WF2o

Quote Originally Posted by Kdf22 View Post
    Make sure you have a firm grip on the gun. You may be limpwristing. Here's a video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka556--WF2o
    I’m pretty sure that’s not the problem, though the gun has a good kick due to its light weight. I fired another 50 rounds through it yesterday and there was no improvement. It was Federal FMJ. I noticed the the left front corner of the magazine follower is showing wear - perhaps from me having to firmly slap the slide home the last inch. As I research this gun more I find more information about the quirks and problems people have. It seems they either work fine out of the box or you have feeding problems. So quality control is an obvious problem. I was on hold with Kahr yesterday for 10 minutes before getting a recording that they close at 1pm Pacific time... really?

In addition to the cost of 200 rounds before it’s deemed reliable (again... really?) it looks like I’ll have to fork out overnight FedEx charges in hope of getting a good gun. I hate to sound bitter but this is the most expensive gun I have bought and it’s the first one that has disappointed.

Re: Wyntrout’s comment on the slide catch spring, yes it is above the locking pin tab.

Not sure why you think you’ll have to pay the shipping. Kahr will likely pay and you should send it to them to fix.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Redwood,
    Some questions and suggestions:
    Can you fully cycle the slide by hand with no rounds in the gun? Can you make it hang up when manually working the slide?
    Does it ever fail to chamber the first round when loading the gun using the slide stop?
    When it does fail to cycle fully, is the case rim up and under the extractor claw?
    Do you have more than one magazine? If so, does it FTF using multiple magazines?
    Are the failures prone to happen when the magazine is full or at random?
    If you pull the barrel and drop a round into it, does the round go in easily and the rim sit flush with the barrel hood?

I know it was mentioned above, but the recoil spring needs to be installed with the "closed" end towards the button/flange on the guide rod.
    If you only have one magazine, check the feed lips for any sharpness/burrs/damage.
    If possible, please post some photos of the stoppages.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Redwood,
    Some questions and suggestions:
    Can you fully cycle the slide by hand with no rounds in the gun? Can you make it hang up when manually working the slide?
    Does it ever fail to chamber the first round when loading the gun using the slide stop?
    When it does fail to cycle fully, is the case rim up and under the extractor claw?
    Do you have more than one magazine? If so, does it FTF using multiple magazines?
    Are the failures prone to happen when the magazine is full or at random?
    If you pull the barrel and drop a round into it, does the round go in easily and the rim sit flush with the barrel hood?

I know it was mentioned above, but the recoil spring needs to be installed with the "closed" end towards the button/flange on the guide rod.
    If you only have one magazine, check the feed lips for any sharpness/burrs/damage.
    If possible, please post some photos of the stoppages.

Regards,
    Greg
    Thanks for your thoughtful questions. I can answer most of them.
    Yes I can manually rack the slide with no rounds in the gun no problem. It will not hang up with no rounds in the gun.

Yes it frequently hangs up when I release the slide catch to load the first round. I’ve always used the slide release to load a round per the manual and never slingshot the slide.

No I don’t believe the case rim is up under the extractors claw - not when I’ve looked, but I don’t look ever time, I just pound the slide the last inch or so since it happens so frequently that if I didn’t know better I would think that’s how semi auto pistols operated.

The gun came with only one magazine, that’s all I have.

I most always start with a full magazine. The only pattern I noticed last time was when I get properly fed rounds in sequence they seem to be third and fourth or maybe fourth an fifth rounds in the magazine.

Yes I can load a round manually and it slides easily into the barrel with the rim flush.

Yes the recoil spring has the closed end against the flange on the recoil guide rod.

Re: the magazine I don’t see any burrs or bent lips, although the front left corner of the magazine follower (the side that is lower with the pin in it shows so wear - perhaps from having to slap the slide home.

As far posting a photo of the jam I don’t see a link or button on this posting a reply window to do that. But if it jammed on the first round I could probably take a photo without having to go to the range to fire it to get it to jam when it cycles a new round.

One thought I’ve had is replacing the mag follower without a Lakeline follower after watching a video recommending that as a fix to FTFs. Do you think that would help? I ordered one online, it bugs me that I would need to buy a $20:follower for any additional mags I might buy. I hope these answers give you some clues, and thanks again Greg.

Bernie