Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr cw9 owner needs help

Redwood,
    It's been my experience that the Lakeline follower does improve feeding, but agree with others that the pistol should perform better than what you are seeing with stock magazines.

Give markman's suggestion a read, it's as good as place as any to start and could very well solve your issue.
    At least tear down the top end and give the extractor parts (to include the tunnel in the slide) a good cleaning and inspection.

You need a minimum of 30 posts before the photo hosting feature becomes available to you. In the meantime, you can upload photos to an off site host and link them here using BB code. I use https://postimages.org. Once you have uploaded your image there, the site will open another page with links: look for "Hotlink for forums:" copy that and paste it here.
    If that doesn't work for you, PM me and I'll give you an email address to send them to and I'll upload them for you.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Called Kahr customer service yesterday and they were supportive and offered to send a prepaid shipping label. It hadn’t arrived by this morning so I called again and they emailed it shortly thereafter. So the gun is on its way across the country and I hope to have it back in what... two weeks? (CA to MA and back on two day FedEx - at least on the way east.)

I’ll report back on how long it took and how it does at the range. I sure hope when it returns it is as dependable as a couple guns I have that cost half as much! Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
    Last edited by Redwood; 02-06-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Typo

I got the gun back. Turn around time was 14 days which was good since it had to make a round trip from CA to PA. The work sheet described the problem as “ FTRB P2 1 K820”. My guess is that translates to “failure to return to bore (or breech) p2 (2 parts?) and 1 magazine (K820). Action taken was described as “Polished feed ramp, test fired ok.”

I’ll take it to the range next week and fire a few magazines through it and report back. I did load a magazine and the round fed properly when the slide catch was released. I jacked/ slingshot the slide and the remaining rounds all fed and ejected properly. So far so good but firing the gun will be the real test. I bought a Lakeline magazine follower which I’ll switch in if I still have problems. Stay tuned.

Hope they fixed it properly. Good luck.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

14 day turnaround...that is great. Hope that is the norm because that means my CW380 should be back soon.

I recalculated and it was 16 days but still good. I followed up by phone after a week and I was told it was in cue to be seen the next day. Two work days days later it was shipped and two days later I received it back.

CW9 is hard to load no matter how you try, so if you are really carrying it for self defense always carry a extra mag and plan on reloading the extra mag after your 5th shot. That way you don't have to either sling the slide or hope it locks back after the last shot. Dave

Took the CW9 to the range yesterday to see how it worked after getting it back from Kahr. Ran 25 rounds of WWB through it flawlessly, using the slide release to load the first round every time. As this was that first time I was ever able to fire a full magazine through it with no FTFs, I was very happy. I started with the Winchester ammo because I had good experience with another 9m. Next I shot about 25 rounds from a box of Perfecta I had lying around. I figured if that fired flawlessly I was home free and could carry it. Not so fortunate this time. The first round of each full magazine did not fully chamber and the slide had to be slapped home with the palm of my hand. (I only have one magazine so the difference in function isn’t that). However, the remaining rounds all fed properly as I recall. So much improved - but not ready for prime time.

Next step is to change out the mag follower with a Lakeline follower I bought before I decided to return the pistol. Based on the reviews that should work. I’ll shoot the remaining rounds of Perfecta after the upgrade and report back. At least I know it works well with WWB ammo. There’s a short YouTube video where a guy with a CW9 and Lakeline follower slingshots the slide and actually rides the slide home and the rounds feed smoothly.

I know Perfecta ammo won’t run in Kahr’s 380 pistols because it’s specs are a little different than most 380 ammo. I’m not sure if that’s an issue with 9mm.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.