Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CW380 will not break in.

Sounds like a trip back to Kahr might be in order. I didn't know you'd played with others and had something to compare to.

It almost has to be springs but might be worth having them take a look at it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well I have e mailed Kahr and ironically after posting in another thread how satisfied I was with Kahr dealing with my CM9 trigger reset issue, have yet to receive any response from Kahr CS.

Wed Jan 30, 2019

Hello,
    I have a CW380 I bought in July of 2017 and it will not “break in” for nothing. I bought it for my wife originally but when new she could not rack it so I said I would break it in and I bought her a . 32 revolver. Well to make a long story short…I have shot nearly 1000 rds thru the gun and I can still barely manually rack the thing. It performs great…accurate perfect size, but I can just barley pull the slide back and lock it to install a mag and release the slide lock to load a rd in the chamber. I am not a small or weak man…no problems with any other semi I own…and that includes my favorite…a CM9. Sure would like some suggestions on how to get this little gem broken it

See if the owner of the CW380 that you shot and tore down will let you switch out the springs as a test. It could be that the spring it was delivered with was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    See if the owner of the CW380 that you shot and tore down will let you switch out the springs as a test. It could be that the spring it was delivered with was wrong.
    Now that is a great idea!!...ty Not sure what other spring in any Kahr firearm would fit, but will try the switch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    Now that is a great idea!!...ty Not sure what other spring in any Kahr firearm would fit, but will try the switch
    Possibly the spring for a CT380?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Mike_usn_ret, I just switched out my P380 recoil springs. The springs have 900 rounds on them, which is when my P380 becomes much easier to rack, but also when it sometimes doesn’t chamber range ammo the last 1/16”, due the springs weakening. It would be interesting to learn if those springs will make it easier to rack the slide on yours, and if they do, if your gun will cycle perfectly every time. If you are interested, I’ll send them to you.

-Wlf

Thanks Wlfman..... I did do the switch out on the springs today with a friends CW380. It is much better, not as easy as his, but at least I do not strip my gears racking it. Now for the kicker....switching the springs to my friends CW380 made his tougher but still was able to rack with nowhere near the effort it takes with those springs in my gun. Also the top of the barrel (square part with the 9mm on it) seems to be dragging on my gun. I always put a drop of oil on that area when I clean the gun...put some white grease on it today. Tomorrow is another day at the range with it using my friends springs. Sure glad my CM9 not a problem child. ARGGGGGGGGGGGG...lol

Post a picture of that barrel hood. I wonder if it isn't peening, hanging up and making it hard to rack.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

SAM_1617.jpg Did some polishing and slight filing to get a smoother surface. It did help a little. Bought some ammo and will go back to range tomorrow. At least now I can get the slide back and locked with out a circus strongman, boy scout troop and a couple dozen Navy Seals helping me.

Filing? Was there a burr at the top of the barrel hood, I can see the top of the barrel hood in your picture, looks fine now, how much did you have to take off to make it smooth?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan