Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop

Thread: 180 GDHP for CM40

Default 180 GDHP for CM40

Hi reloaders,
    Just wondering if any of you have used the 180 grain gold-dot and does it chamber in the CM40 at book COL specs. All I've loaded is the 155 and 180 XTP, which both chamber nicely in the CM, but I'm not overly impressed with their ballistic data. Gold-dots seem to be right in the sweet spot as far as penetration and expansion. If not gold-dots, what other 180 HP's have you had fit the CM40, and are readily available. Thanks.

I haven't reloaded any of the Gold Dots but I shot a lot of factory Gold Dot in my K40 and never had an issue.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I haven't reloaded any of the Gold Dots but I shot a lot of factory Gold Dot in my K40 and never had an issue.
    Thanks Bawanna, do you know if the K40's chamber and leade are close to the CM, or more generous like other brands?

Can't say for sure and I knew we might not be comparing apples and apples here but I'm assuming the chambers and the feed angles would be very similar.
    Gold Dots have ran well in everything I own. I shot a lot of 45.
    Just seems like a very chamber friendly bullet shape.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Picked up some 165gn Gold-Dots and made several test loads. They chamber nicely at Speer's OAL of 1.120". Going to the range later and see which will become my carry round, if any.

Looks like I found what I was after. The 165 GD that Lucky-gunner tested didn't perform very well. Over penetration and almost no expansion, due to low velocity. The 165 GD is listed at 1150fps but they averaged 942fps from LG's Glock 27. From the same gun the 180 GD averaged 956fps when it's listed at 1025fps. Even the 155 GD did very well, but it also was traveling over 1100fps.

So, with the help of Longshot, my CM40 has the 165 GD traveling at a very accurate 1071fps. I have no doubt the 165 GD will perform well at that velocity.

Picked up a box of 180gn Gold-dots and they chamber just fine at 1.125" so I worked up some test loads and hit the range. Of five different powders, four performed great at max charge and were as accurate as my 165gn best. So which would you choose for your carry round?

Highest velocity to lowest,

Longshot____@1022fps

BE-86_______@997fps

CFE Pistol____@959fps

Autocomp____@931fps

I'd carry whichever load had the least flash/fireball and also allows the quickest recoil recovery. If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd take the one with the least flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I'd carry whichever load had the least flash/fireball and also allows the quickest recoil recovery. If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd take the one with the least flash.
    Thanks Ken,

I haven't given much thought to the flash aspect, however it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. All of my testing is done outdoors (early) in the bright Arizona sun so I may have to wait until dusk and retest. After reading the reviews on Longshot, it's definitely an attention getter when it comes to flash. The ballistics testing I've seen shows great performance around 950fps so I'll back off the charge of BE-86 and compare both it and the CFE loads and pick from those.