Kahr Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace

Thread: Brand new CW 380 cannot budge slide please help

Default Brand new CW 380 cannot budge slide please help

Brought home tonight from FFL. Lined up hashmarks, pulled slide lock out. Pulled trigger, slide moves maybe an eighth of an inch in either direction. Can't get it off, can't realign it. Tried it with mag in, out, etc. Stuck. Saw one similar problem on Forum with a P380. That info did not help. I have a CZ75, a Walther PPK/S, a Makarov and a Glock 19, so I know a little bit about semi-auto handguns. Stumped. Please help.

Try working the trigger a bit as you apply force forward and back. Just reasonable hand force, not 3# hammer force.

I call it tickling the trigger and I sometimes have to do it with my PM45.

You didn't get it apart and put the slide lock back in before all this did you?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Been working the trigger like mad. Slide stop is out. Can't get it back in. Slide only moves a tiny bit in either direction, not enough to come free, not enough to put back together.

TimD56,

Can you move the slide enough to align the barrel lug with the hole in the frame?

I ask because I think you need to reset the trigger. You can normally do this by just pushing the slide to the rear until you hear a click. Sometimes it can be difficult and putting just the pin of the slide stop into the hole when the barrel lug is aligned makes it easier to do. If you can't get the pin in, try pushing down on the barrel hood as you pull the slide back.

Once the trigger is reset, pull it and hold it back while pulling the slide off the front of the frame. The slide should come right off when doing this, but sometimes the slide of my P380 comes to a halt after a short bit of travel; at this point I just release the trigger and the slide will come off the frame.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

No. Cannot expose the barrel, cannot get pin back in. Slide will move about an eighth of an inch back or forward. Won't release, won't go far enough back to realign anything.

You might try smacking it into the palm of your hand on one side, then attempting to move the slide. And if that doesn't work try the other side. It's possible the inboard end of the guide rod is catching, if it slipped to one side of the locking block.

You mention reading a thread about this issue on a P380, was it the one where some folks resolved it by manipulating the cocking cam with a small tool (bent paper clip)?
    If not, you might want to read here (starting at post #28): http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...-screwup/page3

I suspect the cocking cam has already come back up behind the striker, but ahead of the slide end plate. The slide is not coming off the front of the pistol in this condition. To remedy that you have to move the cocking cam out of the way or pull the end plate. As you can't move the slide to the rear, let's rule out the end plate. You can try to move the cocking cam as described above or pull the frame side plate and manipulate the cam from there, but first I'd try to find out why you can't move the slide to the rear. Look inside the magwell to see if the cocking cam is catching on the striker block or if the ejector is hitting the striker. The barrel or recoil springs/guide rod might also be preventing travel.

Personally, outside a definite metal to metal feeling that prevents movement to the rear, I'd be tempted to give the slide a light smack backwards with a rubber mallet. You could also hold the slide with on overhand grip and smack the frame forward with the web of you other hand (about the 2:58 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdyPdlzEPs ). You just need travel enough to reconnect the trigger so that you can move the cocking cam.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I was pondering along these same lines. I recall a year or so and officer here brought one in where he'd done something similar.
    I put a screw driver up the mag well (I think it might have been your suggestion) and pried a bit and it popped loose and all was well.
    I don't recall the specifics of where or what I pried on. Nothing serious prybar stuff, just a gentle little twist and off it came.

I think in that case upon reflection I have removed the rear plate also but didn't get anywhere with that.................
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

TimD56,

I was able to (I think) replicate your problem today, and I think that the paper clip tool I posted about in 2014 may work for you. If you have questions, PM me. Maybe a phone call or FaceTime call would be appropriate, if you need to see the fix in action. I’m assuming this may be your first Kahr, so you may not have a good mental picture of what the paper clip will be used for. I’ll post a photo this evening that should show how to use the paper clip.

-Wlf