Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: New from Ohio needing help with a question on buying today

Default New from Ohio needing help with a question on buying today

Been a fan but never had a Kahr - now I have a chance.
    LGS had a new collection at the used counter:

K40, P45, CW9 - and each were $359

If I'm looking for the best of the selection, and a best introduction to Kahr, not worrying about caliber, which would you choose?

Possibly carrying it, but all 3 seemed no problem, so not biggest concern.

Thanks! I'll probably need to get back there today to grab it!

Those three guns span the Kahr lineup.

The K40 represents the highest in quality, with all stainless construction. It's slightly heavier weight should make shooting the potent 40 caliber a bit easier.

The P45 is a good example of Kahr's "Premium" series polymer frame guns. They're finished a bit nicer, and have some distinct advantages over the value "C" series. Things like dovetailed front sights, better quality side stops, and nicer machining on the slide are some of the key differences, as well as polygonal rifling in the barrel.

The CW9 is a popular example of a value series Kahr. Some people won't miss the differences between the value series and the premium series, as the value series are still high quality guns. Having a very limited choice of sights would be the biggest issue for me.

If caliber were no issue (and it certainly WOULD be), I'd take the K40. It's Kahr quality at it's highest. The CW9 can be found under $350 brand new - pretty much all over.

My personal choice would be the P45. It's a good savings over a new one, and it's a caliber that I prefer over 40 caliber.

K40, P45 = good deal at $359.

CW9 at $359 used = overpriced.

Guess I should say that I shoot all three calibers so i wouldn't have a problem adding any of these to the mix. Given my preference, I'd choose the 45 for carry in terms of size and what you get in terms of recoil, but I was very impressed by the quality of the all metal construction of the 40. Thanks for the input. Something tells me that if I ever wanted to sell the 40, they would probably be in lower demand. But boy did that feel good in the hand...

The all steel Kahrs are some of the best made pistols money can buy. They shoot even better than they feel. too.

At that price, I highly doubt you'd ever have a hard time getting at least what you paid for it if you sell it.

FWIW, I'm picking up a brand new CW9 at my local gun shop tomorrow for $289. I already have three other Kahr 9mms, but at that price, well.....

I'd get the 45 myself and seek a K9 or an MK9 for the all steel Cadillac of Kahrs.

I have a K40 and just don't care for the flip. It isn't painful and I can shoot it all day but it takes awhile to get back on target following each shot.

On the plus side, when all other calibers dry up for whatever reason (usually politics), there's usually still 40 on the shelf. Main reason I keep mine.
    I have a K9 that I haven't shot much held in reserve for when the hands/wrists balk at the 45 but so far no issues. Even then I'd probably practice with the 9 and carry my 1911 or PM45.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

1rst off welcome aboard enjoy your stay from a fellow BUCKEYE.
    Like previously stated leave the CW9 sit there for someone else for that price.
    BOB

Plan is to go for the 45 if it's still there tomorrow. Life got in the way today.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Great choice!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I love my MK9.

A new CW9 = $309.

https://www.dahlonegaarmory.com/prod...686047319-2448

Just to discuss a point.

I got a new PM9 for $610 in Ohio. Friend is a FFL and mostly sells at cost plus transfer fee.