Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop

Thread: Loose rear sight

Default Loose rear sight

Just noticed that the rear sight in my CT380 is loose. It easily slides side to side enough that it can slightly stick out past the slide on either side.

Any suggestions for tightening it up? A dab of some sort of glue?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

What I generally do with a loose sight it take it all the way off. Set up solid as you can so the bottom is up. On a vise or something to keep it bottom up best you can. This can be hard to do since the sight is so little and your trying not to damage the top side. Then I take a center punch and basically stipple it. When you punch your displacing metal, you make a hole it makes a bit of a ridge.
    Do that in a few spots and it will fill the gap. I prefer not to do anything to the slide itself as you can always get a new sight but should leave the slide be.
    I have give them a tap a time or two to help but try to avoid that if I can.

Stippling and a bit of loctite, don't recall the color most folks use should do the trick. I've never had to use the loctite myself as the punch usually gets it done.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I just use some red thread locker and let it set up after the sight is in the correct place. I've had that happen more than once... loose rear sight... from the factory.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I've used "wicking grade" Loctite on sights that I've installed, just to be safe. A drop from either side, after the sight is adjusted properly, does a nice job. Keep in mind that if you want to remove the sight in the future, you'll want to heat up the area with a hair dryer.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’ll try a little red loctite. If that doesn’t work I’ll move on to stippling.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’ll try a little red loctite. If that doesn’t work I’ll move on to stippling.
    Went with the blue threadlocker first. If that doesn’t work I’ll move on to red.

Put a drop of that penetrating type on the front of the recoil spring guide rod. That should keep that nut from EVER coming off.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".