Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New K9 owner

Default New K9 owner

I've been looking at various Kahr pistols since last November. Not any up close and personal, as we live out in the country about 15 miles from any town of sorts. But I've read numerous threads on this site, amongst others, trying to get a feel of impressions about Kahr in general. Kind of decided on a K9 or K40 sometime ago, as I really liked the metal guns over the polys. Been watching several online auctions and even participated in a few, but I had my budget I kind of wanted to stay within range. Bid on one last week on gunbrokers, and surprisingly I was the last bidder.

I recieved the gun this morning, brought it home and shot 6 rounds through it just to see how this trigger worked, I had read so much about. It definitely was smooth and long. I took it in the house, and disassembled it, with no problems. This gun had the little orange spacer with it, so that made things very easy. I thoroughly cleaned the gun, as I had read numerous times in this forum and watched many a you tube video. Put it all back together, loaded a magazine, and went out and shot some more. It worked great, although I need to practice quite a bit, as I was hitting low of target, with most of my shots. I just need to figure out where to target the site. Guess I'll have to wait a bit, to post pictures, as apparently I haven't posted enough.
    Jim

Welcome, glad you found us.

It's very common for folks shooting Kahrs for the first time to shoot low and usually left for right handers.

Should cure itself after you get accustomed to it which generally doesn't take long. Seems to work best for me if I don't stage the trigger but do a nice smooth pull through.

Did you get the 9 or the 40?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Welcome, glad you found us.

It's very common for folks shooting Kahrs for the first time to shoot low and usually left for right handers.

Should cure itself after you get accustomed to it which generally doesn't take long. Seems to work best for me if I don't stage the trigger but do a nice smooth pull through.

Did you get the 9 or the 40?
    Bought the K9. Think after checking the serial #, Im thinking it was 2002-2003 model, so should be well broken in. (ha) I do have one question, maybe Ive been watching too many you tube videos of the K9, but on most of them when the mag release button is pushed, the mag seems to be shot pretty far out of the gun. On mine, it just sort of releases it, extends down a couple of inches, then you have to pull it the rest of the way out. Does that on both mags that came with gun. Is that a lubrication issue or week spring somewhere or normal?
    thanks,
    Jim

Could be either or both.

Something else to keep in mind should you decide to change your sights. Kahr used a different dovetail profile up until 2004 I think. So if your gun was made before that you will probably need sights cut to what is referred to as the "old" style dovetail.

Should be a nice little gun for you. Enjoy!

It could also be hardly used, no telling how long it sat in a distribution point and then how long on a dealers shelf. No matter really, you'll not wear it out.
    I suspect you could squeeze the top of the mag at the feed lips, just a smidge in a vise and that would help the mag ejection. Doesn't take much at all and don't over do it.
    Some prefer that the mag doesn't fly out so they don't have to bend over and pick them up. Lazy I guess. I prefer to shoot em out.

Some mags spread just a bit just at the top and the squeeze fixes them right up.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

This gun was well used, as indicated by some wear marks on the handle from holster use, and some minor wear scuffs on places on the gun. All of this was pointed out in the add, but really looks better than I expected. It cleaned up really nice. I do notice when the mag ejects, they both fill like they drag a bit, so your idea of. Squeezing the ends a might, could possibly help.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Could be either or both.

Something else to keep in mind should you decide to change your sights. Kahr used a different dovetail profile up until 2004 I think. So if your gun was made before that you will probably need sights cut to what is referred to as the "old" style dovetail.

Should be a nice little gun for you. Enjoy!
    . Yep, will need to do some more reading on that subject. I always thought whatever gun I would buy, I would like night sites on it. This has night sites on it, but long since have dimmed.

I can throw a micrometer on mine and you can compare yours if you got something to measure with. I'm sure the squeeze will work, it's worked for others in the past.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Coadman View Post
    . Yep, will need to do some more reading on that subject. I always thought whatever gun I would buy, I would like night sites on it. This has night sites on it, but long since have dimmed.
    Yet something else you should know is that Kahr's sight are notoriously tight. I've heard tales of slides being marred even by gunsmiths who swapped sights for folks. I have an MK9 that I had the factory put night sights on back in 2003 which are also very dim. It's hard to find sights of the old style, and I'm not sure if that or swapping them out would be the hardest part of doing so. Also, my MK9 is a rare Elite 2000 which has a black roguard finish on the slide and frame and I'm really hesitant to take the chance of marring it by swapping out the sights. I may end up just using some paint when they finally wink out. Or just leaving them as is since I don't carry it anymore. Good luck!

I've found, I believe two different ones that will work, if and when I decide I want to try the install. I'm a farmer. And we're used to working on things, sometimes with just baling wire and a pair of pliers!(ha). Sometimes we need to make tools to fit the task. I'm confident I can probably do it, when I decide