Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Carbon fiber frame?

Default Carbon fiber frame?

Hay fellas. Question.

First off, i work with carbon fiber and am a part hobby, part pro blade smith. And once upon a time i built an experimental 10 round double column .50AE magazine using welded magazines and m1 carbine mag spring. It was rough but proof that the idea is feasable as it was only a tiny bit wider than the regular magazines. By now you can probably see where i am going with this. If i do this it will be a while from now. Probably a year or more. I am interested mostly on whether you think a carbon fiber frame and mag is feasible at all, and if you think it is, where and how to place the steel inserts.

Here is my uneducated opinion.
    I have watched high speed photography of a Glock 19 firing a round. The polymer frame flexes and absorbs some of the recoil. This allows shooter to carry a much lighter weapon, but still have manageable recoil. With my limited exposure to Carbon fiber, I feel that it is much more rigid, and less likely to flex and absorb recoil. I would guess that a carbon fiber framed heavy caliber weapon, would be very painful to shoot.
    NRA Benefactor

Very good point. I would be more concerned about structural integrity than recoil (there are other ways to make it more comfortable. The softest epoxy resins i've worked with remind me allot of the pmags but are still noticeably more solid. To be clear, my reason for taking interest in carbon fiber for a frame is not about weight but about making a unique frame design with materials i am familiar with and able to use.

I am sure Carbon Fiber CAN be made to work with the concept of a Desert Eagle, but... the current Desert Eagle design is based on standard machining and casting production methods. A carbon fiber frame to do the same thing would likely be completely different. While slightly over-designed, the Desert Eagle is still shooting the most powerful pistol cartridge in production, so the design would need to be really robust. In that design, you will be constrained to mating the slide, where its design was made for the cast frame and might not be appropriate for what you can do with Carbon Fiber.
    If it was a 9mm, I would not have much concern, but there is a lot of energy being contained/controlled by that frame.

I was trying to imagine some kind of splice at first, where the handle area was replaced to accommodate a new magazine well... but then while looking at one here for a bit, there is a lot going on, with very low mass.

If you try it, I would enjoy seeing the project for sure.

MrBlackCat