Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used but unfired K40 and a mystery

Default Used but unfired K40 and a mystery

I recently could not pass up a local deal on an unfired stainless K40 with wood grips, 3 mags, 3 holsters for $300!! I rarely find this kind of deal. Only fired 33 quick rounds due to extremely cold conditions, but it was 100% so far. Now the mystery part. There is no roll pin or hole drilled for it in the frame just forward of the slide stop pin as seen from the right side. I have only field stripped it once to lube before firing. I failed miserably on try 2 after banging the slide stop carefully with a hammer on the plastic grip of a screw driver (no scratches allowed). I used the orange plastic spacing doohicky in the chamber for proper slide alignment. So I haven't studied the interior in regard to the missing roll pin. Anyone seen this before? Ser. # is DF78xx. I have no idea on a build date. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bytor; 03-16-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    I recently could not pass up a local deal on an unfired stainless K40 with wood grips, 3 mags, 3 holsters for $300!! I rarely find this kind of deal. Only fired 33 quick rounds due to extremely cold conditions, but it was 100% so far. Now the mystery part. There is no roll pin or hole drilled for it in the frame just forward of the slide stop pin as seen from the right side. I have only field stripped it once to lube before firing. I failed miserably on try 2 after banging the slide stop carefully with a hammer on the plastic grip of a screw driver (no scratches allowed). I used the orange plastic spacing doohicky in the chamber for proper slide alignment. So I haven't studied the interior in regard to the missing roll pin. Anyone seen this before? Ser. # is DF 74xx. I have no idea on a build date. Thanks!
    Welcome to the forums and congrats on acquiring a K40 in such a sweet deal.

I've not seen a "K" series gun without that pin. It retains the slide stop spring.
    Wynn's photo:

The "MK" and "T" series guns have a screw that retains the slide stop spring. This is similar to what is found on the poly frame guns.
    Photos from https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/w...ictures?page=2

I'd like to see how your K40 is done.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Pictures?

Awesome pics. Thanks. All I know is that I am using the chamber tool for proper alignment and am literally banging on the plastic handle of a screwdriver with a full size hammer so I don't scratch the frame. That slide stop is rediculous. Won't come out. I'm actually thinking of grabbing my short sledge hammer to have a few whacks. I tried the cheat I saw where you insert an empty mage before doing it. That's how I got it out the first time. This had better get easier or I'll never shoot the darned thing! Just frustrated.

What's a chamber tool, I'm lost? There's a notch on the bottom of the slide that you need to pull the slide back to line up with the little ear on the bottom of the slide lock/Take down lever.
    Hold it so it's lined up and one little tap and that pin should just pull out.
    If it's not lined up, you beat on it all day and it ain't coming out.

The first little bit has pretty good resistance but once it starts, your home free. Really shouldn't be that tough.

I usually just hold it lined up and take a plastic tipped hammer and just tap, a screwdriver handle should work if you can hit the pin. Some line it up and then push against a dowel or piece of wood. Easy.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Wow. So this is different. This plastic chamber tool is inserted in the chamber which holds the slide back the perfect amount. No struggling required. I had the slide retracted EXACTLY as pictured in the owner manual and everywhere else I've seen. The thing is, mine does not need to be retracted nearly as far, and the slide lock came right out. I wonder if it has anything to do with the different design without the roll pin? Comparing it to the pics of the inside of the frame, no slide lock spring is visible, or the cut out for it. Of course, no rollpin. The steel above the slide stop is solid, not notched out there. Seems to be a rolling change in the design. That's my only guess. So the chamber plug thingy is inappropriate for this one, as it holds the slide open too far. Otherwise, it does field strip easily now. Thanks for the help. I'm not currently with a picture hosting site, or I would post some. If anyone is really dying to see some, pm me your email address, and I will send a couple.

That's great to hear.....Glad you got it figured out and now you have a sweet shooting pistol....I remember my first Kahr was. CW40 way back in 2009...I couldn't make heads or tails out of the owners manual and it seemed they were talking about several different models and it wasn't very clear or helpful at all....I had taken mine apart but couldn't get the slide to go back on....That was my first striker fired Poly gun and I admit I didn't know what I was doing so I got on the old interweb and found Kahrtalk and the good folks here helped me out and told me how to get the slide and slide stop pin back in correctly.....Lots of helpful folks here and Bawanna and Greg have a vast amount of firearms knowledge if you ever need help in the future......Welcome to Kahrtalk and go enjoy you beautiful new pistol.....

You don’t need an image hosting site. Just upload the pictures as attachments from your device. Lots of people don’t use hosting sites. You don’t need them.

Rush fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    You don’t need an image hosting site. Just upload the pictures as attachments from your device. Lots of people don’t use hosting sites. You don’t need them.

Rush fan?
    His nemesis is waiting at the gate...lol

Have to have 30 post before you can upload from device.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."