Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning with ultrasonic cleaner

Default Cleaning with ultrasonic cleaner

I cleaned my PM9 yesterday using my new ultrasonic cleaner. It went very well. I used Simple Green Pro HD mixed at 5 to 1 with very hot water. I set the temp on my ultrasonic cleaner at 140 degrees and the timer at 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I took out the parts and scrubbed them with my nylon brush to remove any loose gunk. Then back in the hot solution for another 10 minutes. I drained the parts and refilled my cleaner with clean hot water for a rinse. I let them run for 5 minutes in the hot water and took them out to drain. I dont have my air compressor to blow them dry but coming out of the hot water they dried almost immediately. Then I ran a cleaning patch thru the bore and it came out spotless. I lubed the gun and reassembled it. I added my Crimson Trace laser and adjusted it to align with my sights. All ready to hit the range tomorrow and see if I can do any better. I am a terrible shot and just must keep practicing.

Did the same to my p380 and pm9 using SG and water. Made a rust covered mess of the striker spring and mag release. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Did the same to my p380 and pm9 using SG and water. Made a rust covered mess of the striker spring and mag release. Live and learn.
    Wow, that would suck. What is normally used in those machines?

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    I was concerned about that and I think the heat and lubrication should prevent the rusting. I will keep an eye on it, Thanks

A guy on the 1911 forum recently made a detailed positing with his new cleaner. He used Lucas ultrasonic cleaner, said it cost about $100, but worth the money. Should last a long time.
    No rust with the Lucas stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-Ext...ag=googhydr-20
    NRA Benefactor

Default Cleaning with ultrasonic cleaner

I wouldn’t bother, they just don’t need to be that clean.

As long as you’re cleaning out the striker channel you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    I wouldn’t bother, they just don’t need to be that clean.

As long as you’re cleaning out the striker channel you should be fine.
    Oh, I am sure you are right. But who buys the gun they really need? We buy the one we want and enjoy doing totally unnecessary things to try to customize or improve the. I am 74 yrs old and can afford to buy a few things I really don't need. I figure having my gun really clean is at least as good as just clean enough to fire.

One thing I heed with ultra sonic (never used it personally) but have during my short on the job training period at a gun shop is it removes lube everywhere.

It's important to get that lube back. On Kahrs this isn't too difficult as most everything is pretty accessible. Some guns, revolvers especially have a lot of areas that just aren't accessible unless you pull side plates which can sometimes be a scary thing.

I completely agree with buy what you want and/or need and do what you want. I adhere to that idea more and more as the mileage adds up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

First time I’ve ever heard of anyone cleaning an entire gun in an ultrasonic cleaner... I’d say I agree with lee, they just don’t need to be that clean... some of my carry guns I clean once a year, just to blow the sand out of them. Don’t need to eat off of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maht_g View Post
    First time I’ve ever heard of anyone cleaning an entire gun in an ultrasonic cleaner... I’d say I agree with lee, they just don’t need to be that clean... some of my carry guns I clean once a year, just to blow the sand out of them. Don’t need to eat off of it!
    Well, it is the first time I tried it also. I have been seeing a lot of it on You Tube and it prevents having to do a complete disassembly of the slide. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fanatic about cleaning my guns. When I purchased my PM9, I ran 300 rds thru it before I cleaned it the first time. Took it out of the box and fired 200 rds the first day. No malfunctions by the way. I will also admit that i use more lube than recommended on my guns. I have found that oil is rarely harmful. Anyway it was a fun experience but I won't do it often. Thanks for the input.