Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning with ultrasonic cleaner

I put 350 through my PM45 out of the box. I did take it apart to check the striker channel as there were reports of matching junk left behind. Mine was pristine. Didn't Clean till after the 350.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I've used my ultrasonic cleaner to clean several guns. I've stripped them all down though, then put all the bits and springs in the ultrasonic. Came out absolutely spotless, including the barrel. I really like using it on my Ruger Mk1.

Really does a great job cleaning AR bolt carrier groups, too. Of course, everything needs to be lubed back up, but don't we have to do that after every cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I've used my ultrasonic cleaner to clean several guns. I've stripped them all down though, then put all the bits and springs in the ultrasonic. Came out absolutely spotless, including the barrel. I really like using it on my Ruger Mk1.

Really does a great job cleaning AR bolt carrier groups, too. Of course, everything needs to be lubed back up, but don't we have to do that after every cleaning?
    I look forward to using it on my Ruger Mk IV Competition. I wish I did not have to remove the red dot sight. So the first time I only cleaned the bolt.

I bought a Sonic cleaner and never looked back. I bought two solutions, one for cleaning and another for lubrication. However, I have not opened either of the two. I wanted to try Ballistol first. Since using the Ballistol, I have had great success. Does a fantastic job of cleaning. After cleaning, I spray out the striker channel with a can of dry air. One thing about Ballistol, is the fact that it does not gunk up.
    Does Ballistol resinify or harden?

"Ballistol does not resinify. Most other lubricants are subject to relatively fast aging and oxidation. They harden in time - a process which is called “resinification.” The oil begins to thicken, becomes sticky, gluey, and finally turns into a hard resinous substance. By contrast, Ballistol contains a combination of anti-oxidants and medical oils, which together make it much less susceptible to the process of aging than other lubricants"

When finished, the Ballistol will leave a very fine coat of lubrication on all parts. And I like the fact that it is non toxic. I will also just toss magazines into the cleaner and it cleans them out and also leaves a fine, thin coat of lubrication. The bottom line is that it works. All my guns run fine with no failures. I am ocd when it comes to cleaning striker channels and have found this to be a easy way to keep them clean. Occasionally I will tear the gun all the way down, but they are never gunked up.

I once experimented with a NEW Super Duper lube. Man that crap hardened like glue. Had to tear down about 5 firearms to work at getting it out. I have tried just about every thing out there, but always go back to Ballistol. It works for me.

*Note- I can use Ballistol many times before changing it out. In fact, I do not empty it out of the cleaner since it is non corrosive to the metals. Where must products require you to remove it after use. All the residue floats to the top and I just use a baster to remove.
    Solution: 10% Ballistol, 90% water.

For drying parts you can use this... just be careful on plastic parts. This is how I dry the many parts I clean in my Ultrasonic Cleaner. https://www.amazon.com/ZeopoCase-Por...dp/B073RK2M2Y?

Greg

I have used Simple Green Pro HD....(Purple Color) at Home Depot. I use it in a 50-50 mix in my Ultrasonic Cleaner. Then dry the parts with a heat gun.... Just to raise the parts temp so the water evaporates. Always rinse in Distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by ohboy2 View Post
    I have used Simple Green Pro HD....(Purple Color) at Home Depot. I use it in a 50-50 mix in my Ultrasonic Cleaner. Then dry the parts with a heat gun.... Just to raise the parts temp so the water evaporates. Always rinse in Distilled water.
    First time I used mine I mixed 1 : 5 ratio simple green pro. Then did another round in the ultrasonic cleaner with just clean water. The cleaner got it hot enough that the water quickly evaporated when i took them out. Now I have a small air compressor two blow water out of any areas i cannot reach. Then well oiled.

Although I haven't used it for guns yet, I purchased an Ultra Sonic at Harbor Freight for cleaning model airplane engines which can really have baked on gunk, internally and externally. Often times they have been sitting for years and the Castor oil in the fuel completely turns to tar in the bearings. I disassemble them of course and use about 1/3 LA's Totally Awesome cleaner (buy it at the local Dollar Store) and 2/3 water and wow, it does a great job on engines, they look like new. I love this thing.

The Harbor Freight one is what I’ve been using. It does a pretty good job. What I really need instead of the Simple Green HD pro purple stuff in the Lucas Oil ultrasonic cleaner. It cleans and oils at the same time. It’s a bit pricey though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk