Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving on from my CW45

Really awesome. Thanks for sharing!

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Thanks for sharing this Greg, it helps a great deal for folks to see the "plunk" issue in photos.

I just got done throating a P45 barrel for a customer, the lands in the polygonal rifling are very tight. Most 45 barrels run anywhere from .4415" to .443" bore diameter, but the polygonal barrels will run down in the .436" to .439" range. I had to machine a pilot bushing specifically for this barrel. Took me longer to machine the bushing than it did to do the throat, crown & polish package. I should have taken pics but I was trying to make the USPS collection to return the barrel.

Throating these is the bee's knees. I like a semi-long freebore before the leade ins start so it is able to let the bullet exit the case and be held in freebore which is a lot tighter and much more concentric alignment with the rifling than just the expanded case mouth when it is fired.

I had a couple of the Hornady JHPs fail to fire in my CW45, I think when the striker hit the primer, it pushed the round farther into the chamber instead of firing it. This must have been some interference in the throat, same as the OP posted in his photo of the case rim sitting proud of the barrel hood. Throating the barrel would have prevented this as the rounds would have chambered correctly.

This is a previous P45 barrel I had worked over, it got the package. I do recommend the 20 degree crown as I am not a fan of the 45 degree countersink that Kahr sends them out with.

After throating it would happily plunk all of the dummies in the photo:

And the finishing touch, the 20 degree crown:

The rounds that I carry daily are Speer Gold Dot, this JHP profile will plunk in stock Kahr barrels for the most part, I was most impressed with this bullet's performance having dug this sample out of 9" of North Carolina red clay. Couldn't ask for better out of a compact carry gun..

Good work and congratulations on your upgrade. Thanks for the post
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thanks for this write up Greg! I learn from you all the time. Now I just have to apply some of that knowledge!