Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CM9: Maybe I don't have the "Wheaties" for this gun!

Default CM9: Maybe I don't have the "Wheaties" for this gun!

New CM9 -- I just spent about 20 minutes getting the @#$% pin back in. I have a CW380, which I like. My CM9 is new, never fired, yet. I thought the CW380 was tough, but I took it apart tonight to clean it -- no problems. So I took the new CM9 out, disassembly went fair. However getting the gun back together ... different story. What pervert designed this gun to require 3 hands to assemble this gun? OK, Kahr makes fine guns, but at this juncture, why should I struggle to assemble/disassemble the gun? What is the next best gun like this one that I can actually maintain without hiring a Hercules every time I need to clean it? Thoughts, please -- I'm ready to sell the gun now.

Perhaps you need a revolver?

I agree it can be tricky when the recoil springs are very stiff. After a couple hundred rounds the springs will loosen up and it should be easier to keep the slide held back in the right place.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by tkarl View Post
    New CM9 -- I just spent about 20 minutes getting the @#$% pin back in. I have a CW380, which I like. My CM9 is new, never fired, yet. I thought the CW380 was tough, but I took it apart tonight to clean it -- no problems. So I took the new CM9 out, disassembly went fair. However getting the gun back together ... different story. What pervert designed this gun to require 3 hands to assemble this gun? OK, Kahr makes fine guns, but at this juncture, why should I struggle to assemble/disassemble the gun? What is the next best gun like this one that I can actually maintain without hiring a Hercules every time I need to clean it? Thoughts, please -- I'm ready to sell the gun now.
    Where exactly are you having issues with the reassembly? Maybe there is something the members here can help you out with.
    FWIW, at one point I had a CM9 and made a video about the orientation of the recoil spring during reassembly:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I think its more about technique than Hercules. Had an officer couple days ago got a new recoil spring for his Hi Power, couldn't get it in.
    Came to me said he knew it was the wrong one. I laid it on the desk, held the alignment with my left hand and pushed with my right. Installed in about 10 seconds including the conversation. I'm not talented or a Hercules, just had a different approach.

I'd encourage you not to give up, it will get easier for you.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

More details? OK. Got the slide partway on. Put the pin partially in before the two marks aligned. The slide was sticking. I could not get it on or off the gun. After much trying and consternation, the slide would occasionally move toward the "holy grail" of the two marks aligning. Then, by the time I got the pin, (OK, sometimes it was not in first), my Wheaties gave out and the slide slid back to stuck mode.
    I watched your video in awe: It seemed like your spring was about 1/3 the strength of mine. But, as stated in my OP, my CW380 HAS become easier over time (I think I've had the CW380 apart ~4-5 times -- last night I took it apart, cleaned, & back together about as easy as your video showed).
    Am I over-reacting to a NEW CM9?
    I did notice from your video, that before the slide was back far enough to fully insert the pin, that you had that pin in further than I had mine. There is that weird little spring partly covering the pin-hole. So, OK, I put the pin in further, first. I going to try that right now ...
    OK, forgot to mention about 1/2 my Wheaties were expended getting the pin OUT. I line up the marks, then try pressing the flat of a screwdriver on the nub of the pin -- no go!!!
    Does leaving the slide locked back for a few days help?

OK: New technique: a small block of wood on the pin's nub; then slide slide to two marks; push down with both hands to get pin started out -- NO GO!
    Frustrated!

The spring blocking the hole is what holds the pin in. When your removing it I just give it a tap. It can be hard to just push but doesn't take much of a tap. Once it pops loose just a little bit your home free.
    The line up marks are only a reference, I don't even look at them, you need to line up the cut out on the slide with the back of the slide lock levers little raised bump.
    In the video Greg is lining up the barrel link, getting the slide lock lever pin in that hole, you can push the pin almost all the way in until that little raised bump hits the slide, then you have to get it lined up to finish pushing it in.
    Many believe leaving the slide locked back helps the spring take a set. I'm not totally convinced but it can't hurt. Shooting will work the spring and just setting locked back or not will get the spring to take it's natural set.

You got this, go give it another try.

When I'm removing the slide lock lever pin I put my left thumb in the trigger guard and fingers over the top of the slide, then I take my right hand with thumb against the grip and fingers over the rear sight and pull it back to the marks or the notch. I can then squeeze with my left hand, freeing my right to take a soft faced hammer to tap the pin. I do the same thing putting it back together only you don't need to tap it in, you can just push it.

Wish I knew how to do a video. It's easier to do it than write it down.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

New Problem: I got the pin out, now the slide will not come off the gun! O woe is me! What to do now?
    I'm concerned I may have put the spring in backwards!
    Spring back in, gun seems to work.
    Why won't slide come off after pin is out? Yes, I pulled the trigger.
    Pin back in, gun seems to dry fire OK.

Did you pull the trigger? I sometimes have to jiggle the trigger even after I've pulled it for the slide to come off.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by tkarl View Post

OK: New technique: a small block of wood on the pin's nub; then slide slide to two marks; push down with both hands to get pin started out -- NO GO!
    Frustrated!
    I've found those two witness marks to be approximate rather than exact. What I do is align the tab on the slide stop in the take down notch, then push the stop out.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>