Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The illusive flying part. Teaser----Happy ending.

Default The illusive flying part. Teaser----Happy ending.

So our story begins as I was reassembling a Beretta 92 that a co worker had cerakoted. I went to Beretta school but it was long long ago and you know the memory thing. When I stripped the slide in preparation to get the cerakote I knew it would be challenging to put back together.

Anyhow it ended up taking months to get it back, I took a M&P slide in as well and it too took months. Bad communication, I think the guy just forgot but that's another story.

So finally the guy brings the slide back to me after I recovered some of the small parts that had to be redone (wrong color).

I'm assembling the slide assembly and not taking any chances, working in a plastic bag. I'd sorted out in my head how everything had to go and was feeling pretty confident. Wouldn't you know the spring and detent on the left side took flight, I felt them hit the palm of my hand, but I was not worried, I'm in a bag. WRONG. I found the spring right away on the floor, it had made the gap in the bag and got away. Now I was worried, had to have that little detent or it was game over.

I tore my room apart, got on the floor, emptied boxes of wood scraps, searched hard for over 3 hours!

I'm not giving up.........then I gave up........ then as I was cursing myself I decided to search the bench again. No way it could be there as I felt them hit the palm of my hand so they should have went to the floor like the spring.

Found it in a cup I keep Qtips on a stick and tooth brushes in. There was a half inch of sawdust in the bottom and as I sorted through that wala, there she be. I was able to complete the assembly and happy to report it works slick.

I would have had to take it apart again as the cerakote added too much, the safety worked very hard, I took and exacto knife and scraped some off and now it works slick than possum snot.

The hole in one cup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I love happy endings!
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

My latest adventure was about a year ago. Took apart the CZ SP-01 to polish everything. Did the pre assembly of the sear cage and everything was good. Put it back in the pistol and pushed through the pin that holds the sear cage in which removed the slave pin used in the pre-assembly. Well I thought it was all good and I looked at the table. Laying on the white towel I always use to keep things from rolling away was the little lifter spring that flew out during final assembly. They are about fine as a human hair so it was lucky I saw it. I would have issues if I tried firing it with out it. Last parts order I ordered a spare since they are only $3 and not having one would shut down a project.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Thankfully, my mag didn't fly apart on the latest drop of my P380. It did in the past when I was carrying it in my Uncle Mike's IWB soft holster. It was a good thing, because this time I was at the Walmart Local Grocery Store, whatever, and I had just started getting stuff out of the cart to put on the conveyor belt in a self-checkout line. I felt something and heard something hit the floor. I looked down and there was my holster with the pistol in place, but the mag half out! The lady ahead of me was just about to leave with her bags and we locked eyes momentarily. I smiled and she looked about to do the same. I said "Crappy holster!" and she smiled before leaving... not in panic... or screaming "Gun!"
    She didn't look as if her home had wheels... now or ever... and was obviously not a screaming Liberal.

I've been carrying the P380 a lot lately since I've been getting radiation treatments Monday through Friday for very localized prostate cancer. I've completed 32 out of 45 treatments... piece of cake so far, but the Terk Oncology Center is 15.4 miles away and I've been using Wifey's new Subaru Forester as much as possible. We're lucky to have the best facility and doctors in the country... possibly the world, for the treatment I need.

Anyhow, I always take the pistol off and leave it in the car. It and my spare mag holder are really easy to get on and off, but I've had to rethink the holster choice. I only have 6 or 7 for the P380 and started using my steel-clipped Center of Mass Kydex IWB holster most of the time.

At least I wasn't walking in the big store and kicking it across the main walkway with many people about!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I've found a high output flashlight helps a lot when searching for small parts on the floor of my workshop.
    NRA Benefactor

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    I've found a high output flashlight helps a lot when searching for small parts on the floor of my workshop.
    I have a huge speaker magnet that I use quite often to search for springs..It has helped me on several occasions.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Oh I had that going, had to replace the batteries I ran it so long. I just didn't want to wait a week for a new detent, I wanted to be "Done".
    I almost took the one out of my 92 but thought, heck I might be looking for 2 detents.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

All the parts I’ve lost are probably huddled together inside the one missing sock, wherever that is.

Good story!

Thank goodness for CUPS....that's why C and D cups can be better BIGGER
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!