Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PM 45 Owner Has a few Questions

Default New PM 45 Owner Has a few Questions

Hi Everyone,

I have owned a CM9 as my EDC for 4 years. Over 4500 rounds and only 4 malfunctions. I bought a CT45 a year ago, over 1500 rounds 3 malfunctions. I was in the market for a CM45 for my new EDC and saw Bud's had PM45 with 3 mags and a case for $384 and jumped on it given it was the same price as a CM45 with one extra mag.

The slide stop pin rotates on a little threaded piece on the slide stop lever, I can see a couple of threads. Is this normal or should it be solid and tight? I know this and the barrel are different from the CM's. Also when I dropped my barrel from the slide to clean, it didn't fall right out like my CM & CT, I had to rotate it slightly to get it out. This sets up so much like my CM9 I wonder if the tolerances are tighter or did I get a gun that needs to go back to Kahr.

Before I went to the range, I cleaned the the gun and the mag internals, racked it 200 times, left it locked back over 8 hrs. I took 200 rounds of 230 round ball and 17 XTP 230. The first 50 rounds had 4 jams, the second 50 1 jam, the third 50 ran flawless. I was getting hit in the forehead about every 4 or 5 round with a casing. Recoil was extremely manageable and gun was crazy accurate to 15 yards and was easily on target at 25 yds. I set the gun down and shot my .22 target pistol for a 1/2 hour, then came back for the last 50 rds. At 175 rounds I got the jam from hell, new rd stuck in ejection port had to pry out. Admittedly the gun was filthy at this point. Then it ran fine including hollow points.

So what do you think? My plan was to run another 100-150 rounds and see what happens. I want to love this gun but it has to be reliable.

Thanks

Bill

I think your fine, the slide stop lever on some models does rotate, no issue there.
    I have to angle my barrel a bit to get it out also, once you get the hang of that, no issue there either. Don't try to force it and get it stuck which just frustrates you ( and me too). Just jiggle it out, it gets easier.

Mine throws a case to the forehead whenever I get a little sloppy with the grip for some reason. Try to keep a good solid grip on it and see if that helps. That also seems to get better after some rounds fired. I don't know if lightening the extractor tension a bit would help that or not, never tried that.

I know Wynn used to always wear a hat as his did that also. I always wear a hat anyhow so no issue there either for me.

I think your ok, keep shooting and let us know how it all shakes out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The slide stop lever is fine. My P9 is the same way.

I think you’re good to go but running another 50 or so rounds through it would be fine.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT56 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have owned a CM9 as my EDC for 4 years. Over 4500 rounds and only 4 malfunctions. I bought a CT45 a year ago, over 1500 rounds 3 malfunctions. I was in the market for a CM45 for my new EDC and saw Bud's had PM45 with 3 mags and a case for $384 and jumped on it given it was the same price as a CM45 with one extra mag.

The slide stop pin rotates on a little threaded piece on the slide stop lever, I can see a couple of threads. Is this normal or should it be solid and tight? I know this and the barrel are different from the CM's. Also when I dropped my barrel from the slide to clean, it didn't fall right out like my CM & CT, I had to rotate it slightly to get it out. This sets up so much like my CM9 I wonder if the tolerances are tighter or did I get a gun that needs to go back to Kahr.

Before I went to the range, I cleaned the the gun and the mag internals, racked it 200 times, left it locked back over 8 hrs. I took 200 rounds of 230 round ball and 17 XTP 230. The first 50 rounds had 4 jams, the second 50 1 jam, the third 50 ran flawless. I was getting hit in the forehead about every 4 or 5 round with a casing. Recoil was extremely manageable and gun was crazy accurate to 15 yards and was easily on target at 25 yds. I set the gun down and shot my .22 target pistol for a 1/2 hour, then came back for the last 50 rds. At 175 rounds I got the jam from hell, new rd stuck in ejection port had to pry out. Admittedly the gun was filthy at this point. Then it ran fine including hollow points.

So what do you think? My plan was to run another 100-150 rounds and see what happens. I want to love this gun but it has to be reliable.

Thanks

Bill
    The "P" series slide stop is a press fit, three piece affair. The big pin has a groove around the end that is pressed into the lever. Then there is a small pin that is pressed into the lever that intersects that groove and holds the big pin in place. The big pin rotates on some stops and doesn't on others: it's a non issue either way.

As to the rest, I'm for continuing with your plan and welcome to the forums
    Regards,
    Greg

Edit, well darn, I see I'm slow this morning and that your concerns have been addressed most ably as I typed my reply. Well done folks
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Default New PM 45 Owner Has a few Questions

And regarding the tight barrel. My P9 is a very tight fit. It was so tight that during the break in, with plus P ammo, it locked up on me twice. It’s been fine for the last 500 rounds.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

The first time I shot my PM45 I kept getting hit in the forehead. I shot 175 rounds or so and then went shopping at Walmart. When I got home I found that had over a dozen black marks on my forehead and wondered what people thought at the store!

Since then, I've always worn a cap with the bill forward and low as possible, along with eye protection, of course... no worries about ANY brass now.

Welcome to Kahrtalk.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Update to my first post. Second range session, 100 rounds 230 round ball and six rds 230xtp ran flawlessly. Took wynn's advice and wore a cap. When brass did hit me I took Bwanna's advice and tightened my grip and the following round didn't. Thanks all of you for your advice. "Baby Thunder" is now my EDC.

For a pm45 with 3 mags and a case for $384 you stole it. Good for you. If I had seen that I would have had to get one.

good range report by the way.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Oh my, I just saw what they are going for..... I may be in trouble.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I would also caution anyone to not wear clogs and no socks when shooting the larger calibers... .45 brass can CUT... and hurts! I know by experience to respect even the .45 brass!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".