Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compare K40 to K9?

Default Compare K40 to K9?

All,

When I was deciding whether to purchase a K9 or K40 a few months ago, I ultimately decided on a K9 primarily because it is the original Kahr design (and therefore very "mature"), and it holds one more round (7 + 1 vs. 6 + 1). Both the K9 and the K40 enjoy stellar reputations, though, I think.

I've been extremely pleased with my K9: It carries and conceals well, and it is effortless to shoot and accurate. I shoot it a lot, mostly 124 gr. +P self-defense ammo. (I bought my K9 new from Bud's, sight unseen, having never seen any Kahr in the flesh.)

Still, I'm thinking that the K40 just might be the better Kahr for me for CC self-defense purposes, and I am contemplating purchasing one. The two pistols have comparable dimensions, and I am thinking that the more potent 165 gr. .40 S&W round will shoot almost as effortlessly through the 27 oz. K40 as the 9mm Luger +P round shoots through my 25 oz. K9.

Can someone who has lived with both pistols share his/her impressions? Compare the two experiences? What was the order of your purchases (i.e., which did you acquire first)? Am I likely to I suffer buyer's remorse if I purchase the K40? (My K9 isn't going away. Ever!)

TIA,

rx7sig

I got and still have a K40 first. Have since shot a couple K9's and now have one of my own. I much prefer the 9 although I'm a devout 45 fan and carry my PM45 over either.
    While not uncomfortable I didn't like the muzzle flip of the 40. I had mine magnaported in hopes it would help and it did to a point but not enough, just too much flip for any kind of follow up shot.

For some it doesn't bother them at all and they love them. I can shoot mine all day but it's not in the rotation for carry.

I've never shot a PM40 but I gotta believe it's got a ton of flip to it being so much lighter.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    While not uncomfortable I didn't like the muzzle flip of the 40.
    Amen to that.

After my son-in-law bought my PM9, I got a Kahr P40 Covert instead -- opting for the larger bullet.

Yup, got that -- but WOW, I also got more muzzle flip too. It was way more SNAPPY!

I recall seeing videos online where a guy shot similar Kahr models in 9mm, 45acp and 40 with a backdrop that had X/Y lines on it, like large graph paper. The 40 had much more "flip" than the 45, by half as much; but it was easily 2X the 9. So I got a P9 Covert instead. To me, the controlability, the extra capacity and faster second shot (plus the better 9mm ammo that's widely available today) made me choose the 9mm over the .40.

I'd suggest you RENT BEFORE BUYING to see if you really want -- and can handle -- a .40 Kahr.

Yes, it is more potent -- but on BOTH ends though!

Good luck.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Bawanna and Old No7,

Thank you both for your impressions. My M11-A1 (Al + SS) shoots .40 S&W so well, that I was thinking that the all-SS K40 would too. (I had heard already that the P40 was way snappy.) Alas, there doesn't seem to be a K40 around here that I can try.

Thanks,

rx7sig

I'm probably in the minority on this but I love the .40S&W round. I purchased my K40 and MK40 before I purchased the K9. I shoot the K40 a ton and do not find it to be flippy. Same for the MK40. My EDC is the PM40. I expected it to be super flippy and tough to control but it isn't. I have no issues with recoil and I do not notice much muzzle flip. The trigger on my K9 is lighter than the K40. Bottom line is if you prefer the 9mm round in general, then I'd say to go with the K9. If you like .40S&W like I do, then stick with the K40. Or just buy them all and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    All,

When I was deciding whether to purchase a K9 or K40 a few months ago, I ultimately decided on a K9 primarily because it is the original Kahr design (and therefore very "mature"), and it holds one more round (7 + 1 vs. 6 + 1). Both the K9 and the K40 enjoy stellar reputations, though, I think.

I've been extremely pleased with my K9: It carries and conceals well, and it is effortless to shoot and accurate. I shoot it a lot, mostly 124 gr. +P self-defense ammo. (I bought my K9 new from Bud's, sight unseen, having never seen any Kahr in the flesh.)

Still, I'm thinking that the K40 just might be the better Kahr for me for CC self-defense purposes, and I am contemplating purchasing one. The two pistols have comparable dimensions, and I am thinking that the more potent 165 gr. .40 S&W round will shoot almost as effortlessly through the 27 oz. K40 as the 9mm Luger +P round shoots through my 25 oz. K9.

Can someone who has lived with both pistols share his/her impressions? Compare the two experiences? What was the order of your purchases (i.e., which did you acquire first)? Am I likely to I suffer buyer's remorse if I purchase the K40? (My K9 isn't going away. Ever!)

TIA,

rx7sig

One benefit to the 40 and I have nothing against the 40 in larger guns is when things are bad, (think government) and all the ammo dries up, there's usually still lots of 40 on the shelves.
    I know guys that have 40's for just that reason alone.
    Probably one reason I still have mine. It was my first Kahr also so I guess it deserves to stay with me till they nail the lid shut.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I also choose .40 cal. over any other caliber. Common sense would tell you that if you're looking for a target firearm, .40 might not be your first choice. If your talking about defending your life, there's nothing better. If your a head shot artist, then by all means get a nine, or a .380 or .22. If you want to put someone down seriously, go with .40. Someone else said it here...……..if you start at the belt buckle, the gun will automatically go up. I guarantee, you will hit them rapid fire with every shot. Too many people wanting to walk the shot down to the target with minimal practice involved. I will say it once more...……...bigger bullet, bigger hole. The FBI stopped using .40, but that's because most of them can't hit anything with a handful of rice. With practice, you can overcome any flip involved. No practice and your whining is moot. A .45 flips more than a 9mm and I don't see any complaining about that??????? Need to put things in perspective.

While I personally have nothing against the .40 as I have had many in the past, .40 vs .355 is about a .045 bigger hole. The better of the rounds in both calibers penetrate & expand to pretty close the same.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/

I will say it once more...……...bigger bullet, bigger hole.

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    While I personally have nothing against the .40 as I have had many in the past, .40 vs .355 is about a .045 bigger hole. The better of the rounds in both calibers penetrate & expand to pretty close the same.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/
    I looked at the results for the ammo that I use...…...HST 147 9mm...…...HST 180 .40 cal...………………………………………...there is a penetration difference of 3.3 " between the calibers. Also a diameter expansion difference from .61 for 9mm vs .72 for .40 cal. Both going at roughly the same speed. Looks like a substantial difference to me. I will say it once more.....bigger bullet, bigger hole, and deeper hole, and at the same speed, more knock down power.

Federal 150 gr HST 17.3 - .71
    Winchester 147 gr RT 16.5 - .74

Both well within the FBI 12-18 inch penetration range

.71 < .72
    .72 < .74

I also believe shot placement to be more beneficial than a few hundreds of an inch of bullet diameter.