Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compare K40 to K9?

Placement is important but let's be honest here. Gel tests really don't mean much to me. Not real world. I hate to say it, but there is a real reason why gangbangers choose to carry larger calibers than 9mm. They see real world results. Look at the Civil War...……...large, slow pieces of lead caused more horrific injuries and carnage than modern war weapons. If all you're concerned with is penetration, you should carry a .380. 102 gr. Golden Sabers have 21" of penetration. Maybe you should just be honest with yourself and admit you can't shoot anything larger than 9mm accurately. It's ok, many can't. That's why those that can, do, and if they can't, they go to the gel tests. The FBI can hit those...………………………...

Gel tests really don't mean much to me.
    OK, I can respect that. I believe in ballistic gell for comparing different rounds, but I also believe it's not the end all in seeking the best possible round for self defense. I use it to compare known reliable rounds on the street to unknown rounds.

but there is a real reason why gangbangers choose to carry larger calibers than 9mm.
    I'm not really sure were you get that info. Is that real world experience or just gun shop talk. I have had contact with with very many real life "gang bangers" and the vast majority gravitate towards high capacity magazines for there drive by spray and pray style of shooting. In the article I've linked below "The weapons of choice for gangs today are 9MM semiautomatic handguns, followed by .40 caliber and .45 caliber semiautomatics, says Thomas Ahern, an ATF senior agent based in Chicago."

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/01/chi...me-guns-chart/

If all you're concerned with is penetration, you should carry a .380. 102 gr. Golden Sabers have 21" of penetration.
    I don't recall saying that all I'm concerned with is penetration. I believe in shot placement + penetration + expansion. Take any one out of the equation, it will definitely effect your stopping power.

Maybe you should just be honest with yourself and admit you can't shoot anything larger than 9mm accurately.
    That's a pretty bold statement for someone who doesn't know me. I have owned pistols in 45, 44 mag, 40, 357, 38 SP, 9mm, 380, 32 H&R Mag, 32 ACP & 22. I believe I can shoot them all with about the same accuracy, except for the 22, which is a target pistol. If all your concerned with is a big hole, why not carry a .45 ACP, like I have in the past. Maybe it's because you can't shoot anything larger than a 40 accurately. I personally choose the 9mm for capacity, nothing else. I am one to believe with modern ammo, there is not that much difference with stopping power. There are no magic bullets in any pistol caliber. This has been posted here before.

https://www.policemag.com/341954/9mm-vs-40-caliber

Until then, shot placement with any commercially available ammunition will offer you the best chance of maximizing your duty ammunition's stopping power.
    https://www.policemag.com/340890/sto...-and-realities
    Last edited by markman; 04-06-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added calibers

I don't carry a .45 because .40 makes a big enough hole for me. I assume that if you believe in gel tests for accuracy, then you need to come back to reality. If this has been posted before, then don't read it. If you don't want replies, then don't come on here and talk about stupid gel tests. Come back to real life and reality. People who need lots of capacity must have accuracy issues. How many firefights do you hear about?????? Bold statements come from people who believe in gel tests for their info. Let me know the next time you get in a shootout with a gel block. You keep on believing. I believe in info that comes out of Chicago like I believe the last Potus. I live in gang banger heaven, so I know what they use. 9mm are more popular, that's why many use them, but if they can get something larger, they do. I'm not the only member who chooses to carry something larger than 9mm. Why don't you ask them why they choose size over capacity. If most ammo is equal, why would they choose a larger caliber????? Already told you. The Civil War proves my point. The LE in my area, and sheriffs choose larger calibers than 9mm. Wonder why?????? Many people choose 9mm over 38 special because they think that 9mm is more powerful a round. Those in the know, realize that a 38 special bullet being .002" larger than a 9mm at speeds equal to 9mm makes a bigger hole. It's not rocket science. Unless you rely on gel tests.

I'll end my part of the converse with this. I'll let you answer this question to yourself. When you go out target shooting, the holes in the paper become larger as you go up in caliber. .22's make little holes, and .45's make big holes. Noticeable differences in size as you go up. Why do you think that is?????????????

Deep breath and a group hug needed here.

I subscribe to the each his own school of thought myself. If something works for you it's a perfect fit.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I assume that if you believe in gel tests for accuracy
    I don't believe in gel tests for accuracy. Gel tests are for comparing different rounds, targets are for accuracy.
    If you don't want replies, then don't come on here and talk about stupid gel tests
    I don't mind replies, I believe in constructive debates. I also said I believe it's not the end all in seeking the best possible round for self defense.You should read each sentence carefully before you get so worked up. I usually choose my ammo from actual street results.
    People who need lots of capacity must have accuracy issues.
    It's sad you actually believe that. I would bet I'm not the only here who went from a 45 to a 40 to a high capacity 9mm. I personally didn't do it for accuracy, my reason was capacity. You're stuck on some kind of accuracy thing. If you carry a big bore with a reload, isn't that carrying with more capacity?
    How many firefights do you hear about??????
    I imagine about the same as anyone here.
    Bold statements come from people who believe in gel tests for their info
    As I mentioned above it's only part of the equation.(See above)
    I believe in info that comes out of Chicago like I believe the last Potus
    I never voted for that POS. That info is from the ATF, not some Chicago hack.
    9mm are more popular, that's why many use them, but if they can get something larger, they do.
    I don't believe that to be true. People I talk to and things I read say otherwise.
    I'm not the only member who chooses to carry something larger than 9mm.
    Everyone should carry what they are comfortable with.
    Why don't you ask them why they choose size over capacity
    The majority of the people I know that carry large bores carry 1 or 2 extra mags. More capacity?
    If most ammo is equal, why would they choose a larger caliber?????
    I imagine because that's what they are comfortable with.
    The Civil War proves my point.
    I'm not sure that proves a point, that was non expanding ammo.
    The LE in my area, and sheriffs choose larger calibers than 9mm. Wonder why??????
    Like above, I'd imagine that's what they're comfortable with. I'm actually glad they have a choice, not all Agencies give you a choice.
    Unless you rely on gel tests.
    There are many who get their info about expansion from recovered bullets from actual people. I guess your not familiar with people like Evan Marshall.
    When you go out target shooting, the holes in the paper become larger as you go up in caliber. .22's make little holes, and .45's make big holes. Noticeable differences in size as you go up. Why do you think that is?????????????
    Because expanding rounds don't expand in paper. Why does a 38 wadcutter make a bigger hole than a 38 RN in paper, theyre both the same diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by renothecat View Post
    I purchased my K40 and MK40 before I purchased the K9. I shoot the K40 a ton and do not find it to be flippy. Same for the MK40. My EDC is the PM40. I expected it to be super flippy and tough to control but it isn't. I have no issues with recoil and I do not notice much muzzle flip. The trigger on my K9 is lighter than the K40. Bottom line is if you prefer the 9mm round in general, then I'd say to go with the K9. If you like .40S&W like I do, then stick with the K40.
    Thanks for your impression, @renothecat.

rx7sig

[QUOTE=markman;405727]That's a pretty bold statement for someone who doesn't know me. I have owned pistols in 45, 44 mag, 40, 357, 38 SP, 9mm, 380, 32 H&R Mag, 32 ACP & 22. I believe I can shoot them all with about the same accuracy, except for the 22, which is a target pistol. If all your concerned with is a big hole, why not carry a .45 ACP, like I have in the past. Maybe it's because you can't shoot anything larger than a 40 accurately. I personally choose the 9mm for capacity, nothing else. I am one to believe with modern ammo, there is not that much difference with stopping power. There are no magic bullets in any pistol caliber. This has been posted here before.

" I choose the 9mm for capacity, nothing else." From your replies, that's understandable. Another pray and spray??????????????? No Draco, AK????? Glock 19 with a 30 rd. mag????? Just imagine if those big, slow shots during the Civil War did expand. Your explanation on why bullets make larger holes in paper works with different ammo, but what about the same ammo??? I shoot HST's in 9mm and .40. Why does the .40 leave a bigger hole???? Ever look at wound channel results???? .40 is definitely larger than 9mm. That's from your gel tests. Also leave way larger holes on the way out, if you use that kind of ammo. They/you can argue the point till the cows come home. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine. I will continue to say, bigger bullet, bigger hole. If this wasn't the case, everyone would carry 9mm and leave the big boys at home. Then again, some of us just choose 9mm for capacity, nothing else.

Nobody needs to change anybody's mind here and I'm thinking the conversation is deteriorating to the point where I see no harmonious outcome nor any need to continue.
    Really don't understand why this couldn't be discussed a whole lot more civilly.

Lets see if I remember how to close a thread. Been a long time.

Carry on.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."