CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: New Kahr Oil and Lube Questions From A Dude Who Has Glock Pistols

Default New Kahr Oil and Lube Questions From A Dude Who Has Glock Pistols

I've dry fired my CM45 a few times...well maybe 50 times. Trigger is decent I can get used to it. I have yet to field strip the gun and Ballistol it like Hickok45 taught me to do to my Glocks. I know about the Kahr lube points and I've been watching field strip videos.

The thing is the pistol seems to be lubed very well from the factory. So I'm actually thinking of leaving it Kahr factory lubed and oiled until I get to the gun range. This might be a few months. Until then I will put the gun unloaded in the safe. This is not my carry gun yet as I haven't even fired one round yet. I can't keep myself from palming this little hellcat from time to time and dry firing some when I go by the safe. Which is often. Like daily!

Does anybody know what Kahr uses at the factory for lube? Is it a good idea to just leave it factory oiled until after the first range trip? Is it over oiled from the factory for corrosion resistance?

And do you guys use silicone cloth on the outside of the slide to remove finger oils like I've always done?

Tell me your thoughts on what a Kahr noob should know about lube.

TYFYT

Most like to do an internal exam of pistol before 1st range trip. Nothing wrong in becoming familiar with pistol.
    Slide stop will be tight to remove the first few times, and the recoil spring stiff until shot. Good idea to inspect magazines to be sure springs were oriented correctly from factory.
    Follow striker channel cleaning recommendations. Lube per sticky instructions.

The factory lube is fine for what you suggest. Not knowing how long they will sit at a distributor or a dealer they are lubed to stay rust free.

While getting familiar with it as kwh suggested is a good idea, you can certainly hold off on that till just prior to your range trip.

If anything it's probably a bit over oiled but run a patch down the bore to make sure it is clean and oil free and go shoot.

You can take the top end apart to clean the striker channel or just flush it out with brake cleaner or gun scrubber.

I disassembled my PM45 to inspect but didn't really lube or change anything and shot 350 rounds first range trip so you should be fine.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thank you for your replies. I can't go by the safe without pulling out this little jewel. Feels so good in my hands. I have medium sized hands I would say and I have mastered the Glock subcompacts to a point where I don't need mag extensions but this little Kahr feels so good with my pinky on the gun. Ergos on this model are excellent.

Back on topic...I had some time so I field stripped and Ballistolized her just like I did my Glocks hitting all the Kahr lube points lightly. I tend to be in the lighter side of lube opinion but I definitely apply lube where the Kahr diagram said too.

Night and day! Should have done this sooner. The gun feels so much smoother and isn't slurpy leaking lube like it was before. Ballistol is old world eco safe stuff that my cats can lick if they choose and the SO doesn't mind it but I've actually been impressed by the function. So happy "Hellkitty" CM45 likes it and she seems to want to be my carry gun so far. Even though I ordered a PM45! CM45 showed up at FFL and I'm very pleased with the feel of the gun.

Excited to have a .45 ACP that I can carry eventually once I get more familiar after a few hundred rounds. Right now I can't give up my G27 but this CM45 is a bit narrower and seems the fact that I can fit my pinky without mag extensions is a huge plus.

I bought this gun sight unseen via order through my local FFL just by researching a USA made compact 45. I ordered PM45 but this little homely hellcat CM45 showed up and I'm quite in love.

TL;DR CM45 hand cycles quite smoothly after a light Ballistol bath.

You are wise in using the time to practice the continual, steady, straight-back trigger pull before the 1st range trip.
    Great combat trigger, but make take a little getting used to.