Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older P9 has developed a failure to eject.

Default Older P9 has developed a failure to eject.

My 15+ year old P9 used to be reliable, and it still is with most ammo. My carry ammo has always been Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P and it functioned without any issues, but recently it has started failing to eject and trapping the empty case between the top of the breech and the barrel hood. I had hoped a new recoil spring would fix the problem, but when I tested it with the new spring I had the same problem with the regular pressure version of the same ammo 4 out of 20 shots. Oddly enough it shot Remington 115 +P flawlessly.

The difference in length between the old and new recoil spring made me hopeful it would fix the problem.

What’s next, a new extractor spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    My 15+ year old P9 used to be reliable, and it still is with most ammo. My carry ammo has always been Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P and it functioned without any issues, but recently it has started failing to eject and trapping the empty case between the top of the breech and the barrel hood. I had hoped a new recoil spring would fix the problem, but when I tested it with the new spring I had the same problem with the regular pressure version of the same ammo 4 out of 20 shots. Oddly enough it shot Remington 115 +P flawlessly.

The difference in length between the old and new recoil spring made me hopeful it would fix the problem.

What’s next, a new extractor spring?
    That would certainly be what I would try. I'd also do a close inspection of the extractor.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I have a new CM9 so I stripped the slide and swapped every part with my P9. Let’s see if that makes any difference.

Great idea, only downfall to swapping multiple parts is it might still be a mystery as to which part was the offending culprit.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Great idea, only downfall to swapping multiple parts is it might still be a mystery as to which part was the offending culprit.
    As old as this gun is I figure all the springs needed replacing anyway. Assuming the swap fixes it, I’ll just put the old parts in the new gun with a complete set of new springs.

Well, it still isn’t 100% even after swapping all the parts. I’m at a loss, especially since I just spent $500 for a case f this ammo.

Maybe its the ammo and not the gun? Does the ammo shoot flawlessly through other guns?

Does the ejector look any different form your other Kahrs? Maybe dinged, dented, or worn?

Also like 187911 said maybe there is a small change in the casing of the rounds of your ammo so it’s ammo related. I had that happen one time. Frustrating as all get out. I pretty much stick to Federal HST or Hydrashocks now for that very reason.

Hope you get it figured out.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I’ve tried ammo from different lots with the same result. It shoots fine through everything else.

After the failed parts swap I gave it one last try with a brand new extractor, extractor spring, striker spring and plunger fresh from Kahr. I went through a full box of the problem ammo with no failures to eject. Visually I can’t see any defects with the old extractor, but as long as it’s working again I’m not going to look my gift horse in the mouth.