Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do any scroll saw crafts?

That looks pretty durn good. Looks like the blade is accessible, the table is awesome.
    I meant to look up the Wen's but never got around to it, I might have to check one out for myself. I'll toss the two on the shelf.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have a Dremel brand saw that is a bit over 40 years old now. My father bought it new in the mid 70's. I have always used it. It has instant blade access... 5 second changes. (blade release lever on top) It is used a LOT in these years. I could show 100 projects it has been involved in just the last ten years. It is used weekly in other words.

I have about five different blades I run in mine for different projects. For this post I will just show the most extreme single project I have done with it in recent years. I cut this 8x8 tile flooring project with it. Took about a week of four to six hours a day. Around 150 pieces total were cut. Just an example of what you could do with one of these. I can't think of a more suitable tool other than production equipment like water-jet or laser that could have even done something like this.

My saw...

One of the many projects...

MrBlackCat

Nice ...real nice MRBlackCat. Nice set up in the room also.

Well first project done...wife and friends say it is great ...especially for a first project. I maybe a little to picky and not patient enough for this craft as I think it is ....alright. I look at some of the very nice things and wonder if I will ever do them...sure hope so.SAM_1701.jpg

I can tell what it is. It has a very admirable theme. You completed something.

Is all positive to me.

When I get a new tool, it takes a while to get used to the idea of using it as a resource... as thinking in the context of tools you don't own isn't very productive usually.
    Now that you have it, and have used it for a project, you are almost certain to consider it for other things you might enjoy making.

Here is an example from just last week... another game room project.

I wanted this... (a symbol from a video game I enjoyed)

So I used the computer to edit and print out this paper template...

I traced it, roughed it out and made this...

Then I added LED Lighting and made this display for the game room...

This didn't have to be "perfect" as far as cut or copy of the original, so it was a pretty relaxed project. Now I have another themed light for the game room. Excellent project for a scroll saw.

When my father got this saw in the 70's we were pretty "financially challenged" you might say now days, and the first project that I remember was this... we had a set of Christmas themed cookie cutters from KMart we used as templates on 1/4 plywood to make the shapes. We then cut them out with this saw and painted them with a base color of red, green, or white. Then we took model brushes or cotton swabs and decorated them. Then drilled a hole for a small string. We gave them as gifts and used them. I still have some of them, but they are packed up and I don't have an image to share.

Excellent use of a scroll saw in my opinion.

Good luck on your next scroll saw project.

MrBlackCat

Nice job tracing and making the skull. Like the light use.

I had forgotten we had this cookie cutter set till your post.....yep, these will be great for Christmas decorations....thanks!!SAM_1703.jpg

Well today got to make a few more things with the scroll saw. The cookie cutter are great for making patterns and cutting them out. Found the Santa face online, and also the pig that I made into a trivet for the wife. Bought a foot switch and a few different blades at Lowe's today. I am liking this saw and it is actually more relaxing than frustrating if you can believe that!!!
    SAM_1707.jpgSAM_1712.jpg

Now your getting intricate. That santa took some major effort and some time too I reckon. Nice work.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Now your getting intricate. That santa took some major effort and some time too I reckon. Nice work.
    TY, not real smooth cuts and I did a few "out of the lines" cuts in the thin beard parts, but overall ...my wife likes it a lot....loves the pig trivet...for some reason that one went so smoothly. almost tracked on the lines without any resistance.

Wood will mess with you, soft and hard, always messing with the cut.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan