Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rats!

Default Rats!

This morning our little bird, squirrel, feeding corner was doing a huge business. Birds and 3 squirrels with record size tails and lo and behold a rat kept sneaking out, grabbing some food and then retreating behind the bush at the corner of the shop.
    Perfect shot from the back door and just the right range, maybe 30 yards that I have my CZ 452 dialed in for.

I don't shoot squirrels anymore but I never pass up a shot at a rat, I know squirrels are rats that live in the trees but just don't feel like shooting them any more.

So I scramble to the man cave, grab the CZ and alas not a 22 shell to be had in the house, grrrrr.

I moved the majority of the ammo out to an old freezer in the shop. Kept a good supply of 45, 223, and 06 for the Garand in case I need to keep anybody off my lawn but neglected the vermin medicine.

I've of course cured that and brought some 22 in but will have to wait for another chance now..........

Have to rearrange again and make sure I got a bit for all of them. 45 Colt in case I want to go cowboy, 12 ga in case we opt for the scattergun, oh I got that covered forgot. Maybe some 30-30. Might have to bring it all back in, might want to hole up ya know?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

He's laughing at you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    This morning our little bird, squirrel, feeding corner was doing a huge business. Birds and 3 squirrels with record size tails and lo and behold a rat kept sneaking out, grabbing some food and then retreating behind the bush at the corner of the shop.
    Perfect shot from the back door and just the right range, maybe 30 yards that I have my CZ 452 dialed in for.

I don't shoot squirrels anymore but I never pass up a shot at a rat, I know squirrels are rats that live in the trees but just don't feel like shooting them any more.

So I scramble to the man cave, grab the CZ and alas not a 22 shell to be had in the house, grrrrr.

I moved the majority of the ammo out to an old freezer in the shop. Kept a good supply of 45, 223, and 06 for the Garand in case I need to keep anybody off my lawn but neglected the vermin medicine.

I've of course cured that and brought some 22 in but will have to wait for another chance now..........

Have to rearrange again and make sure I got a bit for all of them. 45 Colt in case I want to go cowboy, 12 ga in case we opt for the scattergun, oh I got that covered forgot. Maybe some 30-30. Might have to bring it all back in, might want to hole up ya know?
    I can relate to that exact story only it was an armadillo instead of a rat. Never did get that thing.

Best of luck with your dilemma. If you get it post a pic of the trophy for those of us who have lost such battles.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I live on a wetlands and my squirrel/bird feeder is always full of creatures. I have also limited my choices for extermination with my 22 pellet gun (I live in the near city suburbs so any shooting involving a primer and a bullet would be frowned upon) Yes I know the police include pellet guns in the no tolerance category but is is a bit easier to defend.
    Last year it help dispatch a large ground hog, and a couple of muskrats that had dug under my yard causing a large section of it to drop well over 12".
    Between three neighbors and two years we have removed nearly 100 rabbits some of which stripped and destroyed nearly $1000 worth of newly planted shrubbery, and a number of red squirrels that loved to winter in neighboring attics. I also learned that one dead crow left on the ground in the woods will prevent them from coming back and destroying my feeders. That was a shot of at least 40 yards and one pellet.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

I actually have a good pellet rifle scoped and has a 22 and a 177 barrel. Had pellets too, should have grabbed it I guess, wasn't confident of the shot but I should have tried.

I'm in a legal shooting area but grown up around and not far, couple blocks from where no shooting starts. Surrounded by tree huggers, so I don't shoot much, just now and then. I know they would petition to shut my area down too.

We don't go Armadillo's around here, can you off them with a 22. Like to get one to replace my tin foil hat, heard they work just as well. I got a big head so it would have to be a big one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Now that’s funny. I think a .22 would do it with a rifle (not a pistol). Next door neighbor got one with a 12 gauge about 3am. A pellet won’t penetrate. Don’t ask me how I know....
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I have a great advantage of no kids or grand kids in the home. When the grand kids are coming they are a few hours away and we always get a phone call ahead of time. Every firearm of all calibers are loaded and ready for use in in areas of the house until I get a call they are coming.

Cut my lawn for the first time this year today.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered a small hole about 5" in diameter on the edge of my nicely mulched dogwood tree - right smack dead center in my front yard.

Gotta be a young groundhog that did this.

I live right next to the local high school, in the middle of suburbia. I think the borough would frown on me shooting it, so I guess I'll just have to settle this affront to my manhood by setting up one of those live trap things.

Back in the day, I'd have whacked that vermin with my compound bow.

I tried a .177 pellet pistol... 420 fps, CO2-powered, at about 3 feet, on an armadillo. Two hits between the eyes didn't stop it! I finally got an axe from the neighbor I was trying to help and whacked it. They really tore up her flower garden.

I bought a machete after that, but never had to confront an armadillo again. I added barriers to the bottom of my fences to stop them from easy access to the yard.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".