Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr T9 to heavy as Carry?

Default Kahr T9 to heavy as Carry?

I have been looking at a T9 for an EDC firearm. Researching online a lot of people indicate its to heavy and would prefer a polymer framed pistol with higher capacity or there is some debate on what roll a T9 would play.

A common choice a Glock is the preferred choice over a T9 a Glock 19 as an example. The thinking is a T9 (28oz w/mag) is to heavy compared to the Glock 19 (24oz w/mag) but because of capacity a loaded T9 is roughly 32oz compared to the Glock 31oz essentially the same weight. That's pretty common that a poly framed pistol roughly the same size as the T9 while lower in weight unloaded becomes roughly the same weight when fully loaded due to higher capacity.

Whats the argument? If you have a choice between 2 firearms the same weight pick the one with higher capacity?

It seems the T9 would make a great carry gun. Its not to big 6.5" in length, 5" long, and less than a inch wide. You get a 4' barrel anything else that size is 3.5" or less and safe to carry with DOA trigger. Why in most forum posts is it people love the gun but would not carry it or pick the smaller K9? What am i missing?

I would and will carry a T one of these days soon.
    Some folks are kind of over the top in my book regarding capacity. Cops, military, security, they need capacity. Actually sheepdogs like myself who get involved benefit from capacity but in my book 5 or 6 with a spare mag is enough. The spare mag is more for a stoppage than more bullets but of course it works for both.

Course I been a 45 guy all my life and calculate 3 - 9's = 1 - 45 so I might have to carry two spare mags.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I own a T-9, I was thinking about getting a commander sized 1911 in 9mm, but bought the T-9 instead.
    Being a 1911 guy, I never consider weight when I pick an EDC.
    The only things for me are, 1.Can I shoot it well? 2. Can I conceal it? 3. Is it reliable?
    The T9 is slim like a 1911, which makes it a little easier to conceal, and it shoots great.
    I own a G19 too, even have a holster for it, but I never would carry it by choice, to thick and bulky.

Here lately, on the weekends, I have been carrying my Ruger Speed Six. If I can't handle the situation with 6 or 7 rounds, I'm a goner anyway.
    NRA Benefactor

I love my T9. I love my K9 and my MK9. But I carry my CM9. All things being equal,I'd rather carry a lightweight handgun. A CM9 and two extra seven round mags gives me 21 rounds on board, and the weight is evenly distributed bilaterally.

The T9, for me, is too heavy for the capacity it offers. If I am going to carry something that heavy, I'd rather carry, as you mentioned, a Glock 19 and have 16 or 18 rounds on board.

Funny thing is, I shoot my steel Kahrs alot. One of them is brought out every range session. The nice thing about Kahrs is trigger time on one of them equals trigger time on all of them.

A Kahr T9 vs a Glock 19 is an apples to oranges comparison wrt anything other than weight.

Personally, the T9 is a non-starter for me for an EDC. I would, and do, choose a LW 1911 in that size class. I find Glocks too bulky and I don't care for their less than safe action, without being modified for a thumb safety, I have a K9 and an MK9, but EDC neither. My choice for that, in Kahr, is my PM9. I do own Glocks but they serve duty as car/truck appliance guns. And I'm not a capacity hound.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by chengpu42 View Post
    I have been looking at a T9 for an EDC firearm. Researching online a lot of people indicate its to heavy and would prefer a polymer framed pistol with higher capacity or there is some debate on what roll a T9 would play.

A common choice a Glock is the preferred choice over a T9 a Glock 19 as an example. The thinking is a T9 (28oz w/mag) is to heavy compared to the Glock 19 (24oz w/mag) but because of capacity a loaded T9 is roughly 32oz compared to the Glock 31oz essentially the same weight. That's pretty common that a poly framed pistol roughly the same size as the T9 while lower in weight unloaded becomes roughly the same weight when fully loaded due to higher capacity.

Whats the argument? If you have a choice between 2 firearms the same weight pick the one with higher capacity?

It seems the T9 would make a great carry gun. Its not to big 6.5" in length, 5" long, and less than a inch wide. You get a 4' barrel anything else that size is 3.5" or less and safe to carry with DOA trigger. Why in most forum posts is it people love the gun but would not carry it or pick the smaller K9? What am i missing?
    Choosing the K9 might be more a matter of availability and pricing. The T9 can be hard to find, especially in a local shop.
    With more K9s out there: you more apt to find them, find them at discounted prices, or find deals on used ones.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

There is that. T's are like chicken lips to find. Just don't ever see them for sale or otherwise at gun shows or shops.
    Do see the K's and MK's from time to time.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Choosing the K9 might be more a matter of availability and pricing. The T9 can be hard to find, especially in a local shop.
    With more K9s out there: you more apt to find them, find them at discounted prices, or find deals on used ones.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Im lucky i got this great local shop with a really interesting way to find firearms. As of right now they have access to the T9 and T9 Elites at very good prices.

Its interesting that multiple people mention 1911's. Right now i am deciding between the T9 or a 1911 with a 4" barrel. The big factor here is do i want a thumb safety to deal with. A T9 and a 4" barrel 1911 is essentially the same size (1911 adds extra length with the beavertail) and practically the same weight even with a alloy 1911.

T9 is better than a 1911 in every way but trigger and mag prices IMHO, but with the trigger comes a thumb and grip safety that you must deal with.

I believe people prefer the K9 for carry because it's lighter, smaller, more concealable, more common, and you get all of that for only a 1 round difference between the T9. I have the extended ported 4" barrels on my K9 and K40, so barrel length difference doesn't matter much to me.

If you want to EDC a T9, go for it. You don't need our approval, nor do you need to justify why you made that choice to other people. A K40 is what I carry over a Glock and the like. I carry it because it conceals better than a double stack, it feels better in my hand than than any other single stack (I've own and/or fired most), I prefer steal framed guns, the weight is a non issue for me for a belt gun (only 27oz loaded vs like 24oz with Shield), and last but not least, it's a prettier gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 187911 View Post
    T9 is better than a 1911 in every way but trigger and mag prices IMHO, but with the trigger comes a thumb and grip safety that you must deal with.

I believe people prefer the K9 for carry because it's lighter, smaller, more concealable, more common, and you get all of that for only a 1 round difference between the T9. I have the extended ported 4" barrels on my K9 and K40, so barrel length difference doesn't matter much to me.

If you want to EDC a T9, go for it. You don't need our approval, nor do you need to justify why you made that choice to other people. A K40 is what I carry over a Glock and the like. I carry it because it conceals better than a double stack, it feels better in my hand than than any other single stack (I've own and/or fired most), I prefer steal framed guns, the weight is a non issue for me for a belt gun (only 27oz loaded vs like 24oz with Shield), and last but not least, it's a prettier gun.
    I just looked up the extended ported 4" barrel and that really got my attention. The Kahr website indicates "may require fitting" did you find that was needed? A K9 with the extension looks like a real possibility to me. How much does that affect recoil?