Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Me a New 1911

Default Got Me a New 1911

Well hey there guys thought I’d drop in for a visit, well you know me I’m a huge fan of the 1911 and you seen I’ve been trying to do some Bulleye shooting but a few weeks ago I came to the realization that my old 1911 had too much play to be accurate for this style shooting. So big decision time I needed a new 1911, now had just enough cash to go on the low price range and seeing my birthday was coming up I picked up a Springfield range officer. Now the reviews were good on it but it had a lot of injected parts in it the frame and slide are forged steel and a stainless barrel and bushing. The frame to slide fit was really tight and the bushing needs a wrench to remove it, so for me that was the important part but all the other parts were injected parts on it and I figured I could just change them out as needed. So off to the range a week later after dehorning the edges and looking for any other things that may cause issues. Now to be fair guns are made to run on full loads but Bulleye run fairly light loads and I knew the gun had to be smooth. There would be some time spent refining, recut the sear and tuned the sear spring and lighter recoil spring and got 3 lb 2 ozs on the trigger that breaks like glass. Went out and fired 200 rounds and at the end felt like just wasn’t right. So came home and start looking and measuring parts. It was doing a reverse stove pipe where the back of the case was high and jamming. Come to find out the extractor was .020 short on the front hook and that was an injected part, not even going to deal with Springfield on that. I just took the Wilson extractor from my other gun for now but this gun will out shoot me for sure and so will some young and older bucks. I enjoy the challenge and couldn’t afford a high end 1911 but if you have some skill this gun is a good building format. By any means I’m not the best shot but get my moments and at 17 yards and a 3 inch target that’s smaller than the front sight it’s hard. So here a few of my old eye targets as yes iron sights. All in all if you where going to shoot hardball it probably be fine but I’m pushing to the limits for what I want to do so there be some work to do on my end. Now for my update on this gun, I’ve been shooting it for a little while now and I know the gun is dead nuts on when I bench it but when I go one handed it would be hit or miss on the days I shot it. Done a lot of reading one Bullseye but finally ran across some videos from Brian Zins and it help me quite a bit. I only do for my own enjoyment and don’t want to join any league. Nice to know I can cast my own bullets and load my own ammo and get some good results from my efforts but can be frustrating at times which makes me want to do it better. So here are few of my good targets can’t do this all the time but when I do this makes this old man smile.

IMG_0154.jpg

and from today

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg
    and this one made me happy
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot

Thumbs up Congratulations

I came close to getting a Range Officer.
    It's obviously a sweet shooter.
    Ended up with a DW V-Bob.
    It's a nice carry gun, great workmanship, fit and finish.
    Looks outstanding
    But in my hands the 4.25" commander is not a bullseye machine.
    Funny how things work out.
    I actually shoot my Sig P220 ST 45 better
    There may be something wrong with me - LOL!

Looks darn fine to me Harry, I'd be plumb tickled with targets like that too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    It's a nice carry gun, great workmanship, fit and finish.
    Looks outstanding
    But in my hands the 4.25" commander is not a bullseye machine.
    Funny how things work out.

I love my 1911s. Especially my Dan Wessons. But, my p220s have a similar grip angle and shoot every bit as good. The biggest problem I have while shooting both at the range at the same time is they are calibrated to two different holds. The DW is close to a 12 o clock hold whereas my sigs are at a center hold(except my p225 which is a 6 o clock hold). It can get aggravating.

I agree on the P220, Barth. Actually, for me, my 4 1/2 SIG is my best shooting 1911. Maybe something wrong with me too. I only have one full sized 1911, a SA lightweight, with the alloy frame.

Your P220 looks a lot like mine. What year is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harrylee View Post
    Well hey there guys thought I’d drop in for a visit, well you know me I’m a huge fan of the 1911 and you seen I’ve been trying to do some Bulleye shooting but a few weeks ago I came to the realization that my old 1911 had too much play to be accurate for this style shooting. So big decision time I needed a new 1911, now had just enough cash to go on the low price range and seeing my birthday was coming up I picked up a Springfield range officer. Now the reviews were good on it but it had a lot of injected parts in it the frame and slide are forged steel and a stainless barrel and bushing. The frame to slide fit was really tight and the bushing needs a wrench to remove it, so for me that was the important part but all the other parts were injected parts on it and I figured I could just change them out as needed. So off to the range a week later after dehorning the edges and looking for any other things that may cause issues. Now to be fair guns are made to run on full loads but Bulleye run fairly light loads and I knew the gun had to be smooth. There would be some time spent refining, recut the sear and tuned the sear spring and lighter recoil spring and got 3 lb 2 ozs on the trigger that breaks like glass. Went out and fired 200 rounds and at the end felt like just wasn’t right. So came home and start looking and measuring parts. It was doing a reverse stove pipe where the back of the case was high and jamming. Come to find out the extractor was .020 short on the front hook and that was an injected part, not even going to deal with Springfield on that. I just took the Wilson extractor from my other gun for now but this gun will out shoot me for sure and so will some young and older bucks. I enjoy the challenge and couldn’t afford a high end 1911 but if you have some skill this gun is a good building format. By any means I’m not the best shot but get my moments and at 17 yards and a 3 inch target that’s smaller than the front sight it’s hard. So here a few of my old eye targets as yes iron sights. All in all if you where going to shoot hardball it probably be fine but I’m pushing to the limits for what I want to do so there be some work to do on my end. Now for my update on this gun, I’ve been shooting it for a little while now and I know the gun is dead nuts on when I bench it but when I go one handed it would be hit or miss on the days I shot it. Done a lot of reading one Bullseye but finally ran across some videos from Brian Zins and it help me quite a bit. I only do for my own enjoyment and don’t want to join any league. Nice to know I can cast my own bullets and load my own ammo and get some good results from my efforts but can be frustrating at times which makes me want to do it better. So here are few of my good targets can’t do this all the time but when I do this makes this old man smile.

IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    and this one made me happy
    Nice shooting and congrats on the new gat Harrylee!
    MY RO had a large billboard on that side of the slide: I like how yours is marked.
    Is the ejector pinned or glued in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post

Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Looks darn fine to me Harry, I'd be plumb tickled with targets like that too.
    Me too Colonel!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lantern View Post
    I love my 1911s. Especially my Dan Wessons. But, my p220s have a similar grip angle...
    SIG knew a good thing when they saw it

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    I agree on the P220, Barth. Actually, for me, my 4 1/2 SIG is my best shooting 1911. Maybe something wrong with me too...
    Yep.

Sorry fellers, I just couldn't resist
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

My Kimber 38 Super.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Greg it’s been a while, as far as the ejector it has to be just Loctite no signs of a pin. I knew this going in on this gun but for the price range you get a forged steel frame and slide plus a stainless steel match barrel and bushing. Lock up on this is real tight and frame to slide I’d say is fairly tight and as far as it’s accuracy it’s way better than I am. Didn’t ever thing I could group that good one handed. I’ll give it a workout for sure, not even a month and over 1500 round thru it.
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest

Where are you holding on the target?
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Top of front blade center of the of the bull. Now the thing is that the 3 inch target is smaller than front sight at this point all a mental game. Put the front sight on bottom of target with half pressure on the trigger and pre-stage then bring it up. When it looks good apply the last bit of pressure and break the shot
    Last edited by Harrylee; 04-23-2019 at 06:42 PM.