Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On The Road Again.....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    It’s magic.
    Yeah. Like DARPA.
    NRA Benefactor

Yeah like California ,when we build the wall nobody gets out.

Maybe we need to build a Kahrtalk wall?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Whatever happened to sending postcards while on road trips?
    You know, the 3x5 or 4x6 cards that have a picture of the world’s largest ball of twine or a giant jackrabbit on one side and on the other enough space to say something cute about the “good times you are having, glad they’re not here”. And a one cent stamp.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Whatever happened to sending postcards while on road trips?
    You know, the 3x5 or 4x6 cards that have a picture of the world’s largest ball of twine or a giant jackrabbit on one side and on the other enough space to say something cute about the “good times you are having, glad they’re not here”. And a one cent stamp.
    I stopped sending them things sometime after they began arriving postage due.
    NRA Benefactor

Yeah, when they jacked it up to 3 cents, that really was annoying.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Wifey says the postcard rate is 35¢ now.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Sadly, I have returned from Maine/PA road trip in one still very annoying piece. Enjoyed the trip, and vacation from chemo, immensely.

There was one unfortunate bit where I kinda trashed the lower front fascia of my car when I hit some road debris (a tire and wheel about the size of a U-Haul spare) at speed in, where else but, Misery, 800 miles into a circa 4200 mile round trip. But some cutting away of damaged underneath plastic shrouding and judicious application of duct tape and all was okay. Bizarrely, there was no mechanical damage and the car's still running just fine.

Life is depressingly good at the moment.
    NRA Benefactor

Safe travels!
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

Off to PA come Monday for family reunion.

Car's still running well, is now cosmetically patched to at a glance presentable, and ready for another run. It's gonna need body shop attention, but I'm putting that off until end of travel season. Don't want to chance car being hung up in the shop when I need it nor tempting the Misery road damage gods unnecessarily.

NRA Benefactor

It's good that the debris didn't stop you. That's one of my biggest worries on trips... hitting some of that tire debris from the big truck tires, especially if the guy in front of you ziggies one way to avoid something and you don't have time or the space to avoid it... at night, too!

Back in April, I was returning home on the fastest E-W road around town... usually 80+ or you're being run over. I had just gotten on to that thing and was in the right lane of 3 headed home after my radiation treatment for my prostate. About 100 yards in front of me I saw an old... looked weathered... soccer ball rolling from right to left across the road. Traffic wasn't heavy, but there were several cars that could become involved should someone take drastic evasive maneuvers! You just can't predict what people will do. I moved as far to the right as I could in my lane, quickly scanned the traffic around me, and looked for escape holes if people started swerving or braking in front of me.

It happened pretty fast and the guy in the center lane just held his course... or froze up... and then we were past the ball. I don't know what happened behind me, but things could have gotten really crazy fast. That was one of the weirder things I've seen on a highway... a soccer ball just rolling across a busy highway... at least it wasn't a crowded 85+ mob on the road at that time.

I drive fast, but I really pay attention and think about what I would do if something developed... having to go off the road into the median to avoid a pileup can get really dicey with culverts and the like in the median. I try to have some kind of plan... sometimes... I don't always just drone along at 85+.

Wifey and I don't want to ever fly again... too much BS and I can't carry a bunch of stuff that I like to have for protection and enjoyment. I've only flown once with a pistol... our flight was delayed and the luggage left without us. We got diverted to Denver on the way to Durango and spent the night in a hotel there with no luggage... did have a nice meal in the hotel, though, but had to get up very early to catch the next flight to Durango. My gun was waiting for me in my luggage.
    On the way home, we beat our luggage arriving about 10:30PM and the airport asked if I wanted them to leave it at the front door around 3AM, without ringing the doorbell, when they were carrying the late luggage to the owners. I said no, and napped in my TV chair until the luggage arrived safely.

Both times I was checking in, the guy at check in hadn't a clue... wanted to put a tag on the outside. I'll wear and carry all I want and drive. We can sleep in the van and have a Keurig coffeemaker, DC cooler, and a cassock potty, as needed. We don't have to stop or hunt for Starbucks!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".