Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Xssights

Thread: Questions About the K and MK series Kahr

Default Questions About the K and MK series Kahr

I have a total of 4 steel framed Kahrs, and they all have small differences that I'm hoping someone can explain to me. I have one K9, two K40s, and I recently acquired a MK40. Even though I'm also asking about the K series, I'm posting my question here being that there's no "General" forum for Kahr pistols.

Can anyone tell me why the branding and serial number on the frame isn't laser engraved? I searched through a few forum post, Google images, YouTube, GunBroker, etc, and all the pictures I've seen have been laser engraved... My serial number begins with "HA" if that means anything..

Also, I don't know if you can tell from my pictures, but I noticed that the MK40 had a matte/dull stainless finish whereas all 3 of my standard K series have a glossier finish. If this common for the non Elite MKs?

I see some K9s with different take-down lever designs, and some alignment markings on the slide and frame. I believe I seen some NIB K series selling in one or the other format. Can anyone shed light on this?

Interesting, I'd never noticed those differences.

Makes me want a steel Kahr, though.

I'm sure it's just model variations. The MK is probably a newer model than the K's and they decided to forgo the laser engraving, perhaps a cost cutting measure.

The take down levers I can't explain as we see the ones where the pin rotates on the lever and is held in place with a little keeper pin and the solid ones mixed all the time. I don't know that one is any better than the other as the barrel link rotates on the pin.

I'll have to check my K's again and see, don't remember. I'll also look over my new T, I took it apart for an examination but didn't take note of the take down lever or the engraving far as that goes.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'm sure it's just model variations. The MK is probably a newer model than the K's and they decided to forgo the laser engraving, perhaps a cost cutting measure.
    The thing is that the MK has the old style slide.

Doesn't really matter, but I was just curious to know the history behind the differences.

Wow that shoots a big hole in my newer theory, maybe I got it backwards.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My new T is laser engraved, and has the rotating pin on the slide lock lever.
    My K9 is also laser engraved and has a solid pin. Son has my K40 so not sure what it's got but I'm thinking same as the K9 as they are about same vintage.
    Thinking maybe I did have it backwards with your old style sight, it's probably older and the laser engraving was an upgrade.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Interesting, I'd never noticed those differences.

Makes me want a steel Kahr, though.
    Surprised that you don't own one already.

My is the 3 inch version of the khar k9 3.5 inch barrel. The mk9 elite is highly polished and more refined than the standard model. Both are high quality pistols just elite cost more because special polishing and few other nice touches

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I bought my K9 new in 2001 (dragged out my receipt file to verify). The engraving looks like your MK40 pic. The slide stop is similar to the upper left one in your slide stop only pic. The frame area where the slide stop pops out of looks like the K40 on the right in the pic of the slide stops sitting on the pistols. It also has the old style sights.

As a side note, the night sights were not that bright when I bought it... almost imperceptible now.