Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: New CW40 need advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New CW40 need advice

Hi all, I was just looking for suggestions/opinions on my experience and possible issues with my new CW40. I've been hauling a few newer firearms to the range to test for function, recoil, POI vs POA, etc. with different ammo. The last two range trips I've been testing my CM9, CW40, CW45, FNX9, and S&W 66-8. The only issues I had were with the CW40, and I was wondering if it is normal for that model. I've only shot one other 40 S&W (glock 23) and that was in the 90's... although I have a couple 10mm's.

The first 100 rounds through the CW40 were with AE 180gr FMJ (they have a flat nose). I had multiple failure to feeds with every magazine (I could actually feel the slide bouncing off the bullet as it got stuck on the feed ramp). The kick was significant, and I had trouble keeping a group. Please keep in mind, during the same range session (after firing the CW40) I shot 120 rounds of 357 magnum (Rem 125gr and 158gr) through a 2.75" 66 with no problems with grouping or fatigue. Similarly, no feeding or grouping issues with the CM9,CW45, or FNX9. I later put a box of Hornady Critical Defense through the CW40 with zero malfunctions, but still significant kick and grouping issues.

My questions is, could this be an issue with the gun, the recoil spring, or just me, the shooter? I want to like this gun, and will keep bringing it to the range with different ammo and a new recoil spring (hard to get parts locally). I was just looking for opinions/suggestions from those with more experience with this model. Please bear in mind, that sometimes it can be over a month in between range visits for me.

Update 6/21/2019: Post #7
    Update 11/26/2019: Post #14
    Update: 1/11/2020: Post #15
    Last edited by Scott321; 01-11-2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: update 1/11/2020