Tommy Gun   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CW40 need advice

Default New CW40 need advice

Hi all, I was just looking for suggestions/opinions on my experience and possible issues with my new CW40. I've been hauling a few newer firearms to the range to test for function, recoil, POI vs POA, etc. with different ammo. The last two range trips I've been testing my CM9, CW40, CW45, FNX9, and S&W 66-8. The only issues I had were with the CW40, and I was wondering if it is normal for that model. I've only shot one other 40 S&W (glock 23) and that was in the 90's... although I have a couple 10mm's.

The first 100 rounds through the CW40 were with AE 180gr FMJ (they have a flat nose). I had multiple failure to feeds with every magazine (I could actually feel the slide bouncing off the bullet as it got stuck on the feed ramp). The kick was significant, and I had trouble keeping a group. Please keep in mind, during the same range session (after firing the CW40) I shot 120 rounds of 357 magnum (Rem 125gr and 158gr) through a 2.75" 66 with no problems with grouping or fatigue. Similarly, no feeding or grouping issues with the CM9,CW45, or FNX9. I later put a box of Hornady Critical Defense through the CW40 with zero malfunctions, but still significant kick and grouping issues.

My questions is, could this be an issue with the gun, the recoil spring, or just me, the shooter? I want to like this gun, and will keep bringing it to the range with different ammo and a new recoil spring (hard to get parts locally). I was just looking for opinions/suggestions from those with more experience with this model. Please bear in mind, that sometimes it can be over a month in between range visits for me.

Update 6/21/2019: Post #7
    Update 11/26/2019: Post #14
    Update: 1/11/2020: Post #15
    Last edited by Scott321; 01-11-2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: update 1/11/2020

I've had a CW40 for a number of years now! If your pistol functioned fine with Critical Defense ammo it should be just fine. Since it functions fine with the CD I would guess that your range ammo is slightly under powered and should function better as your recoil spring gets broken in! The accuracy will improve as you learn to deal with your gripping of the little monster!

When I first got my CW40 I experienced similar issues to what you have experienced, I also had similar issues with my PM40. The recoil pulse is quite sharp with the forty and requires a more secure grip than even a .45 auto!

You should find that your CW40 is just as accurate as any of your other pistols! Good luck and enjoy your new toy!
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

I had a Mag-na-ported P40 that I sold after I got a black one and added the 4" ported barrel.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/gu...0-ptbrl40p.asp

I also have a Glock 23C... the ported model. The .40 has more kick than the 9mm, but I prefer and carry the P40. The .40 has more oompf.

I replaced the polymer magazine base plate with a stainless one and added a 3/32" thick 7/8" ID neoprene O-ring to stop pinches. I had already done the same to my P9, including the ported barrel.

I have a threaded conversion barrel for the G23C and shooting 9mm in it is almost like shooting my .22 Ruger MK3 22/45... lower recoil.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thank you both for your comments. I'm not going to give up on the CW40 since "on paper" it checks off almost everything I want. I'll probably head out to the range next month after I track down some 45 ACP +P I like for the CW45 (can't order online in my neck of the woods). I picked up some WWB 40 JHP and will try fancier ammo depending on what's available at the range to get a better idea of what to expect from the gun... or what I, as the shooter, have to work on.

WT, thank you for your service!

I have had the best success with WWB, Blazer Brass and Remington for range ammo with my CW40. I had issues with rim thickness causing feeding issues with Fiocchi and ended up doing a little extractor work to make up for the rim variances. I also needed the full 200 round break in period. I also polished the feed ramp, that seemed to make a difference. Mine likes my handloads to be on the upper end of the powder charges also. And as such, you get snappy recoil.

I'm always amazed at how accurate my CW40 is. Stick with it, it'll come around.

The Fiocchi ammo really gave me headaches... thought it was the gun and did extensive testing and polishing the chamber trying to stop the jams. I finally checked the ammo and found that the case mouths were the problem with the Fiocchi ammo. I think I had bought a case of 170-grain FMJ. It worked fine in my Glock 23C. Anyhow, the case mouths are thicker and more pronounced, causing them to catch at the top of the chamber, but taking the tiniest bit off pressure off the recoil spring by pulling back ever so slightly on the slide would allow the round to fall down and chamber without assistance.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Update:

I tried 50 rounds of WWB JHP in the CW40. This only totals around 170 rounds fired through the gun (including the other brands). Rounds seemed all over the place. Last 10 rounds settled in at around 3 inches low and 2 inches to the right with about a 4" grouping at 5 yards. The kick didn't seem as much as before with AE FMJ and Hornady CD... maybe it's breaking in. The slide still felt like it was slightly bouncing while chambering under fire but not nearly as much as with the AE FMJ (flat nose). I'm going to postpone further testing while I concentrate on my 9's and 45. I really like the numbers on this gun with the 40 cartridge but won't rely on it until I get these issues figured out. Much of the variation could still be my fault, but currently I'm fawning over my older K9 and CW45 so the CW40 takes a back seat on the priority list.

Something tells me your left handed. Am I telling myself the truth?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Right handed... But I have a modified Weaver stance because my left elbow has lost 80% of it's range of motion (arthritis). I am not recoil sensitive for the most part, and have not experienced any of these issues with the CW45 firing +P ammo.

Well that certainly blows a large whole in my theory. Since you got the CW 45 your accustomed to the trigger.
    New right handed shooters generally shoot low and left till they get acquainted, figured low and right you was a lefty who incidentally only account for 6% of the population but I think I know them all.

This is painful I was wrong once before.... I think it was 1956, no make that 57 but I got over it. Now this.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."