Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new

Thread: Starting the break-in on my new CT380

Default Starting the break-in on my new CT380

Just picked up a CT380 from Bud's. I knew I was going to be in for an ordeal breaking it in, so I headed out to the range with a variety of ammunition.

First off, slingshotting the slide will absolutely NOT chamber a round. Or it will chamber, but not cock the striker.

Secondly, it IS ammunition sensitive. Mine apparently hates Geco .380 95 gr. ball, as it frequently gets hung up halfway into the chamber. Or 90% of the way into the chamber and I have to do a forward assist. I shot about 150 of these.

Remington Green box, on the other hand, chambered reliably, about 50 95 gr. ball.

Then another 50 Remington 102 gr Golden Saber, the best of the ammo, although Hornady 'Zombie Max' and Remington 88 gr. JHP also did well.

Perhaps the Geco is underpowered or the profile of the bullet simply doesn't 'agree' with the Kahr chamber.

Oh, and the trigger is surprisingly easy to manage, and the gun is VERY accurate at self-defense ranges. Assuming the springs finally settle down it could be a BUG with the right ammunition. For now, not so much...

Edit: at least one reviewer on SGAmmo found that his Kahr doesn't like the Geco .380
    Last edited by Noway; 06-01-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Congratulations on a great first outing.

If GECO is the only problem then you’re in really good shape. Kahr 380s also won’t cycle Perfecta.

It’ll loosen up a little over time but not all that much. Racking the slide to chamber a round is still not 100% in my CT380 after 700 rounds. I generally lock the slide back and use the slide release.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Mine still gets indigestion from WWB, but eats everything else I’ve fed it. Have not tried GECO or Perfecta, but won’t bother with it.
    I think the CT is the perfect 380 for my needs.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

My CT was also filthy after this modest outing, on a scale I haven't seen since I fired Norinco ammo in my Makarov years and years ago. So it's possible some of that soot was gumming things up a bit too...

Quote Originally Posted by Noway View Post
    My CT was also filthy after this modest outing, on a scale I haven't seen since I fired Norinco ammo in my Makarov years and years ago. So it's possible some of that soot was gumming things up a bit too...
    Could be a contributor. I run my Kahrs “wet” and clean them after every outing.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Same here.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Also storing it with the slide locked open, for what that's worth.

The next range trip will probably be limited to +P ammunition...

Also going to try some reloads. THAT should be interesting...

Hey Noway, Congrats, you made a great choice. I agree that Geco is a definite no-go...I had many failures to go fully into battery in a box of 50 in my relatively new CT380. Through 300+ rounds, I've had 100% success with FMJs from Federal, Remington and Blazer brass as well as Federal HST 99 grn HP, which is my current carry ammo. Chambering a round requires the full force of the recoil spring. Use the slide release or a full force slingshot. I find myself carrying my CT380 more often than my two other respectable 9mm options. I fully trust it with the right ammo. Stick with the ammo I mentioned as well as the Golden sabers and Hornady self defense offerings and you should be good to go.
    Good Luck!

Back out for a follow up. Golden Saber HP is GTG, Geco still a non-starter, and my reloads were not bad at all. A few of the latter didn't quite chamber, but I'll reduce the OAL and see if that doesn't make a difference.

A wee reduction in the weight of the recoil spring would be nice...