Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am honestly disappointed with my CW45

Default I am honestly disappointed with my CW45

I put another 50 rounds through my used CW45 yesterday. That brings my round count up to 150. I do not know how many rounds its actually fired, but since it was assembled incorrectly when I bought it, I know it wasn't being used as a range rental.

During the 50 rounds I fired yesterday, I had at least 15 failures to return to battery. Some of them I solved by giving the slide a gentle nudge with my thumb, and some I had to give it a hard whack with the palm of my hand.

I will give it another 50 rounds to see if this problem resolves itself, and if not, I think it's on the chopping block. I find it unpleasant to shoot. There is a good possibility I turn it and my XD-S into a Glock 41, and reserve my .45 shooting to giant full sized pistols.

You purchased the gun used correct with zero knowledge of its history or round count? Why not change the recoil and mag springs for starters? I did that for everyone of my used Kahrs I purchased. I change the recoil, mag, and striker spring... Either way, you find it unpleasant to shoot, so I don't see the point in keeping it. List it in the market place setting, and give it a new home.

If you want a, IMHO, soft shooting single stack, try a Shield 45. I've never fired a CW45, bit I have fired a XDS in 45. The difference in recoil is night and day for me at least. The XDS beat up my hands a little, but I could shoot the Shield all day...
    Last edited by 187911; 06-03-2019 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMyers1970 View Post
    I put another 50 rounds through my used CW45 yesterday. That brings my round count up to 150. I do not know how many rounds its actually fired, but since it was assembled incorrectly when I bought it, I know it wasn't being used as a range rental.

During the 50 rounds I fired yesterday, I had at least 15 failures to return to battery. Some of them I solved by giving the slide a gentle nudge with my thumb, and some I had to give it a hard whack with the palm of my hand.

I will give it another 50 rounds to see if this problem resolves itself, and if not, I think it's on the chopping block. I find it unpleasant to shoot. There is a good possibility I turn it and my XD-S into a Glock 41, and reserve my .45 shooting to giant full sized pistols.

Beyond what 187911 suggests, you might check to see if your barrel has enough free bore. I wrote about this a little bit in this thread (about half way down the page): http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...n-from-my-CW45

If that checks good, I'd be inclined to make a shorter rear pin for the extractor to remove some tension off the extractor.

One might even check out the
    "Found solution to FTF and failure to return to battery on CW 380" sticky at the top of this forum for another possibility.

FWIW, when my CW45 was brand new I would have some failures to return to battery. I'm positive I caused these with a sloppy grip. I'd bear down and not have anymore stoppages.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Wow Mikey.

That's so unlike my experience with the CW45. I've had zero issues with mine, and it's just a joy to shoot.

With the prior owner having messed with the extractor assembly, I'd be leery that he did some ill advised mods to something, like cut down a spring.

I'd replace the springs with a Wolff kit, and see what that does.

Good luck, buddy.

Like MMyers, I too had a tough time shooting both the P and TP45. I though I had a fairly solid grip but the two light guns broke my grip and slowed my follow up a great deal. In addition both guns, but especially the P45, had feed problems. I wanted the guns to work but after well over 1000 rounds of trying I gave up.
    I've since sold my other .45s as well, even the full size ones, as I just don't enjoy the recoil. Getting older sucks.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Like MMyers, I too had a tough time shooting both the P and TP45. I though I had a fairly solid grip but the two light guns broke my grip and slowed my follow up a great deal. In addition both guns, but especially the P45, had feed problems. I wanted the guns to work but after well over 1000 rounds of trying I gave up.
    I've since sold my other .45s as well, even the full size ones, as I just don't enjoy the recoil. Getting older sucks.
    I think if Kahr made a K45 or a T45---Commander or Govt' Model sized---recoil wouldn't be an issue. I used to have a Glock 30. Recoil wasn't bad on that one, either. The CW45 is very thin, and I think that's part of the problem. I could try a Pachmayr grip sleeve, but throwing money at a handgun I don't think I like doesn't seem like a good idea.

Bigger and heavier are better in a .45, for me. Getting older does suck, and having numb hands after shooting 50 rounds is no bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I hope I never get older. Most of what I own are .45’s. Sorry to hear that man!

And all this time I thought you were born in 1970.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    And all this time I thought you were born in 1970.
    Me? Close to it. Not old, but not young. ; )

Default I am honestly disappointed with my CW45

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Me? Close to it. Not old, but not young. ; )
    Was actually thinking MMyers1970 but this is your thread so sorry for hijacking it.

Or maybe it’s Mike’s thread and I’m just old and confused.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.