Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Range Day With Two S&W’s

Default Happy Range Day With Two S&W’s

A while back I put together a new nightstand gun. A full sized gen 1 M&P. I added a +5 extension to both mags (each now holds 22 rounds), longer mag springs, as well as a TRL light. I also started to put one together for my wife, getting hers started by finding a $200 S&W SD9VE.

Before putting them into “duty”, I wanted to make sure each could run various kinds of ammo. I loaded up my range bag with 300 rounds various round nose/range ammo, and about 100+/- rounds various hollow points/+p’s/defense loads and headed to my local indoor range ($5 for veterans!).

I was very happy with mine. The supposedly craptastic trigger was really not so bad. I had manipulated the trigger a few hundred times at home. Also, I bought it used, with the previous owner having said he put two boxes through (looked new inside and out). Maybe I’m just getting better trigger control with more experience? I was miles better at shooting it than I have been with many more expensive double actions (I’ve had plenty of Glocks, H&K’s, Sig’s, Beretta, etc. etc.) in the past, even though I know some of their triggers were smoother, lighter and shorter, I have not done as well with them. I did some precision shooting (if you can call it that), some double taps and a few other drills. I really was happy with what I saw. Also, It fed everything. Ended up shooting about 275 of the round nose through it, as well as most of the defense stuff (read on about the SD9VE and you’ll know why I spent 90% of the range time/ammo with the m&p). The extended mags performed perfect so far. Really love the weight of the light on the front and how it counters muzzle rise, as well as the weight of he extended mags.

So now onto my wife's SD9VE. What little I fired fed and ejected well, BUT...First few rounds (at only 10 yards, using 8” “shoot & see” splatter targets) were genies, disappearing into thin air. I could not find where they were going. I adjusted my point of aim up and right, as I am right handed, and as right handers often do, I used to have to adjust for my grip which used to make me shoot low and left. Bingo! But, point of impact was still ridiculously low and left. So I looked at the sights and WOW! Previous owner had scooted the front sight waaaay left. Not sure how I had not noticed it when looking over the gun. I brought it home and adjusted the front sight. Hope to get it back to the range to check the results soon. After that, I will get her a light and mag extensions to up the capacity. It also will get a stainless guide rod/recoil assembly as the factory one is polymer.

So far, very happy with these two Smiths. Given what I gave for them ($250 for the m&p, $200 for the SD) I think they are real bargains!!! Before going with the Sig P365 I mainly carried a Shield Performance Center. Maybe it was it’s barrel/slide-length, or sight radius, but even with it’s supposedly better trigger I could not shoot it anywhere near as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BirdsThaWord; 06-04-2019 at 07:20 PM.

They are very shootable firearms at affordable prices. I just sold my M&P. Owned it for a while, and it was a good, reliable firearm. I just couldn't warm up to that trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    They are very shootable firearms at affordable prices. I just sold my M&P. Owned it for a while, and it was a good, reliable firearm. I just couldn't warm up to that trigger.
    Thats what I hear/read from most people or reviewers. "Boringly reliable", "but that trigger". I found that with staging it, it broke pretty smooth once I "hit the wall". I think that if I did not stage it, and pulled from it's starting point instead, that indeed would suck! It is a long pull, but (at least mine) is not gritty. Trigger looks stock, but maybe a previous owner put a spring kit in it. Not sure about that.
    Happy shooting man!

My Shield 45 and my $320 M&P 2.0 Compact have Apex triggers on it. No one should complain about the trigger IMHO. You can add an aftermarket trigger and still be $50-$150 less than Glock, Walther, or HKs with arguably a better trigger installed...

Quote Originally Posted by 187911 View Post
    My Shield 45 and my $320 M&P 2.0 Compact have Apex triggers on it. No one should complain about the trigger IMHO. You can add an aftermarket trigger and still be $50-$150 less than Glock, Walther, or HKs with arguably a better trigger installed...
    I kind of wonder if the internal stuff was put into mine because it really isn't that bad. It's no 1911, but I really was surprised after all the "craptastic" remarks/reviews. I had looked at that Apex stuff and everyone recommends it.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    I kind of wonder if the internal stuff was put into mine because it really isn't that bad. It's no 1911, but I really was surprised after all the "craptastic" remarks/reviews. I had looked at that Apex stuff and everyone recommends it.
    The stock trigger isn't bad IMHO. It's just different than the norm, so many blow things out of proportion. To some, unless it's a short, light, 1911 or competition like trigger, it's crap.

Agreed! I'm mostly a 1911 guy, and see how others could not like it comparatively. For what it is...it aint so bad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Thats what I hear/read from most people or reviewers. "Boringly reliable", "but that trigger". I found that with staging it, it broke pretty smooth once I "hit the wall". I think that if I did not stage it, and pulled from it's starting point instead, that indeed would suck! It is a long pull, but (at least mine) is not gritty. Trigger looks stock, but maybe a previous owner put a spring kit in it. Not sure about that.
    Happy shooting man!
    I didn't have a problem with the length of the pull, more the sponginess of the trigger. I had no gritty feeling. I've heard that many people got gritty triggers. A pretty easy fix without buying a different/new trigger. The trigger affected my accuracy. You either change the trigger, which I wouldn't do on an inexpensive firearm, or get a different firearm. Like I previously stated, nice firearms for the money. I prefer Kahr or HK triggers, with sa/da being # 1. For what you paid for them, heck, happy shooting yourself

The Apex duty action trigger kit makes the M&P a delight to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    The trigger affected my accuracy. You either change the trigger, which I wouldn't do on an inexpensive firearm, or get a different firearm. For what you paid for them, heck, happy shooting yourself
    Thanks! Yes, given the price I really couldn’t complain too much.
    I would consider changing the trigger, but for this guns purpose I can’t see doing it either. More so given the results I had at the range (not so bad, pretty accurate at house/room distances).