Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merwin & Hulbert

Default Merwin & Hulbert

I watched a "Gun Stories" TV show last night on the Outdoor channel and they did an episode on Merwin & Hulbert revolvers made between 1876 and 1919...I had never heard of them but they said it was the most popular revolver at the time because it was well made and cost much less than the Colt S.A.A., S&W or Remington revolvers and was carried by both Pat Garrett and Jesse James...The gun is quite interesting in how it operates in that to unload you push a lever and twist the whole barrel to the side and pull both barrel and cylinder assembly forward to eject all 6 empty shells and somehow if you didn't fire all six it would only eject the empty ones and leave the unfired rounds...It was originally chambered in .44 Merwin but later models were mostly .44-40 caliber....The company took a down turn when they sold the Russian government a very large lot of guns that were delivered but the company never received payment and went bankrupt....I have to my knowledge never seen one of these at a gun show but I'm going to keep an eye out, I'm sure one in any kind of shape would be well out of my price range but I would really like to see one....Here is a pretty good YouTube of what they look like and how they operate...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O4msUTg16k

Those are pretty clever. Thanks for sharing.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Hard to believe that they were able to machine and manufacture something with such tight tolerances, quality and beauty 140 years ago.....

Excellent video. Thank's for sharing. Ive always been rather fond of M&H revolvers, though I've never owned one
    NRA Benefactor

That's my kind of gun right there, born a 100 years too late I think. I strapped on my Uberti Birdshead 45 Colt to revisit my roots. Think I'll wear it to work tomorrow, might even get regular time on the belt. Wearing it as we speak and it feels fine.
    Good belt, good Mernickle holster, hardly know it's there.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Wow,
    I want one. But..I doubt I ever see one in person.
    NRA Benefactor

Never been able to find one I could afford myself. Theres a few on gunbroker but getting the big dollars. Love to have one, truly would.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have always liked Erbert & Gerbert myself....oh wait...sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I’m often amazed at the skills those guys had back then. No computers. No CNC machines. Often times working under candle or lamp light, yet they built amazingly intricate, beautiful pieces of functional artwork.

Everyone thinks Einstein was the genius, the REAL genius was John Moses Browning.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan