Magnum Research new   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 kahr 380s, 2 broken strikers

Default 2 kahr 380s, 2 broken strikers

Title just about says it. Broke 2 separate strikers on a p380 and cw380 from around 300 trigger pulls on each (broke the p380 6 months ago and the cw380 just now). I used azoom snap caps for every trigger pull.

For my p380 I upgraded the striker to a lakeline steel striker after I broke the MIM one, and this has been my edc for the past 6 months. I'm not needlessly bashing kahr, I love this gun and plan on carrying it for the foreseeable future, but thats only because I upgraded it to a configuration other than what kahr offers.

I truly love my p380 with its steel striker, but for the love of god Kahr what are you doing. The way they ship their guns from the factory I would never in a million years trust my life to one. Charge 30$ more and assemble it with a proper striker. The gun is great. It's a travesty that they got so close yet so far from a reliable 380 carry piece.

so an FYI for anyone thinking about carrying a kahr 380 pistol as is from the factory: DONT.

Lol, was the first thing I upgraded after I put 100 rounds through mine. Didn’t trust the striker after reading several posts about them failing. Also upgraded to magguts to add a round to the 6 round mags. Oh, and a stainless steel guide rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned the hard way I guess...

It's so frustrating. The p/cw380 is the best 380 ccw piece on the market, AS LONG AS it gets an upgraded striker. havent got the magguts yet but it has been on my radar for some time.

Kahr really shouldnt be able to get away with this. Whoever is in charge of the company is slipping because creating products like this is a guaranteed way to have your company go under.

Went with Magguts for my CW380 Tungsten and love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by charczard View Post
    Title just about says it. Broke 2 separate strikers on a p380 and cw380 from around 300 trigger pulls on each (broke the p380 6 months ago and the cw380 just now). I used azoom snap caps for every trigger pull.

For my p380 I upgraded the striker to a lakeline steel striker after I broke the MIM one, and this has been my edc for the past 6 months. I'm not needlessly bashing kahr, I love this gun and plan on carrying it for the foreseeable future, but thats only because I upgraded it to a configuration other than what kahr offers.

I truly love my p380 with its steel striker, but for the love of god Kahr what are you doing. The way they ship their guns from the factory I would never in a million years trust my life to one. Charge 30$ more and assemble it with a proper striker. The gun is great. It's a travesty that they got so close yet so far from a reliable 380 carry piece.

so an FYI for anyone thinking about carrying a kahr 380 pistol as is from the factory: DONT.
    I have owned several Kahr handguns since 2011 and have been a member of this forum that long too. Your post about broken strikers is the 1st report that I have read of broken strikers for the last 8 years. So, I am not seeing a striker problem for Kahr guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    I have owned several Kahr handguns since 2011 and have been a member of this forum that long too. Your post about broken strikers is the 1st report that I have read of broken strikers for the last 8 years. So, I am not seeing a striker problem for Kahr guns.
    Totally agree. The internet is full of comments like the OP's on many firearms. One owner has a issue and the internet takes it to a unreal proportion. Comments like "FYI for anyone thinking about carrying a kahr 380 pistol as is from the factory: DONT." These type of comments carry a lot of weight on the internet, but simply not realistic. The internet can be a useful guide for many owners and at the same time, it is full of false information. Most of the time issues are user error in some form. I have seen it many times over the years on the internet and even at the range. The Beretta Pico suffered from the same internet comments of broken firing pins. Yet, I have two of them with one Pistol well over 3500 rounds and never a issue. It is just a matter of using snap caps all the time. I was at the range and some guy was having extractor issues with his Beretta Nano. Cursing the gun all over the place. I asked if I could shoot it, and it was no surprise the gun shot just fine. Turns out, he was new to shooting and limp wristed the gun. Saw the same thing with another gun, a Ruger. That guy was riding the slide causing it to fail. I could go on and on.
    Kahr makes a fine high quality 380. Tight tolerances, great metal, great workmanship. I have a 380 with about 1500 rds down range and have complete trust in the gun.

While I don’t have links to them, I believe I’ve seen other examples of the striker in a Kahr 380 breaking.

Isn’t that why Lakeline designed and sells a stronger 380 striker which can also be bought directly from Kahr?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    While I don’t have links to them, I believe I’ve seen other examples of the striker in a Kahr 380 breaking.

Isn’t that why Lakeline designed and sells a stronger 380 striker which can also be bought directly from Kahr?
    Does Lakeland say how many rounds fired before failure in a normal striker? No, you would have to go through a lot or ammo before that ever happens and even so, you could just replace the factory on regular maintenance down the road. Just like striker guide rods. They can last a very long time. Many after market items for most guns out there. You can opt for mag extensions and on and on. Does not mean the factory do not work. Your post makes it sound like all Kahrs are breaking striker's. You can add after marker striker for a lot of guns. But just because they are offered does not make the original dangerous. And just because you saw other post that they break means nothing. How many per 1,000? I would bet it is as little as .6 % if that, which is the number that one manufacture found on a reported internet issue.
    Yes, someone can opt for a stronger part, but for you to issue a 'Warning' across the board is not prudent without some real facts. To believe Kahr is producing unsafe or unreliable firearms is IMO wrong. Again, they are a very reputable firearm manufacture. If you did break three strikers and used snap caps then I would recommend you have the gun sent in for Kahr to examine. Something else has to be going on.

Here is how the internet works IMO. You report a dire warning across the internet to not use a particular firearm. Nothing to back it up except a failure of the one gun you own. Now after reading your Dire Warning, 1,000 internet posters now become Kahr experts and parrot the warning. And then it snowballs, get larger and larger. Before you know it, all Kahrs are outright dangerous and a gun to be avoided. If you feel Kahr makes a unsafe gun, then please back it up with more information. If you know how many out of 50,000 guns and 49,000 have your issue then please post. Otherwise I suggest folks take your post with a grain of salt as well as any other internet post reporting the same kind of warnings etc.

Wow.
    Last edited by DavidR; 07-06-2019 at 09:03 AM.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I had to send my CM9 back about 3 months after I had it for a broken striker. Kahr replaced it and been good to go since.