Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 kahr 380s, 2 broken strikers

My striker broke early on. There were many posts on here about broken strikers. If I ever get another CW or P 380 I will change the striker immediately. I love my CW and carry it all of the time and have complete faith in it. I would never carry one with the factory striker.

I did a quick search, and found this thread from 4 years ago. Searched "broken striker".
    Sorry, I don't have a dog in this fight but even I have heard about the 380 striker issues.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...r-Ultimate-Fix

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    While I don’t have links to them, I believe I’ve seen other examples of the striker in a Kahr 380 breaking.

Isn’t that why Lakeline designed and sells a stronger 380 striker which can also be bought directly from Kahr?
    Yes, exactly! I had a cw380 which broke its striker after a few hundred rounds. I bought a P380 and got rid of the CW. The striker in that P380 broke at least 4 times before Alphonse developed the Lakeline replacement. Kahr replaced barrel and slide 2x . They had a gunsmith call me to review my ammo choices. Snap caps or not, the striker broke. There has not been many reports lately, but back in 2015 or so, there were a bunch.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

I can't speak for any in that time era, and perhaps they did have a large batch of bad strikers, which is possible. But I have one along with a few friends at my club and we have not seen any of the more recent guns to have that problem or any Light Primer strikes. And combined guns equal a lot of rounds down range. Perhaps I will get one down the road. It seems Kahr should have issued a recall.

I had no issues with the stock striker in my CT380 through 600 rounds. At that point, since I wanted to thoroughly clean the striker channel, I went ahead and put the Lakeline striker in.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Totally agree. The internet is full of comments like the OP's on many firearms. One owner has a issue and the internet takes it to a unreal proportion. Comments like "FYI for anyone thinking about carrying a kahr 380 pistol as is from the factory: DONT." These type of comments carry a lot of weight on the internet, but simply not realistic. The internet can be a useful guide for many owners and at the same time, it is full of false information. Most of the time issues are user error in some form. I have seen it many times over the years on the internet and even at the range. The Beretta Pico suffered from the same internet comments of broken firing pins. Yet, I have two of them with one Pistol well over 3500 rounds and never a issue. It is just a matter of using snap caps all the time. I was at the range and some guy was having extractor issues with his Beretta Nano. Cursing the gun all over the place. I asked if I could shoot it, and it was no surprise the gun shot just fine. Turns out, he was new to shooting and limp wristed the gun. Saw the same thing with another gun, a Ruger. That guy was riding the slide causing it to fail. I could go on and on. Kahr makes a fine high quality 380. Tight tolerances, great metal, great workmanship. I have a 380 with about 1500 rds down range and have complete trust in the gun.
    1) broken firing pins are not 'User error' (unless youre using snap caps made of steel or something)
    2) just because YOU have a pico thats fine doesnt mean they dont have problems ( the plural of anecdote is not data).
    3) the reason why I feel confident that Kahr has a striker problem with their 380s is because I had two independent guns break their striker in the exact same place (which is coincidentally the same place everyone's stikers break). Again, you for some reason feel like the countless examples on this very forum (and this very thread) of people breaking their strikers are somehow negated by the fact that YOU have one that didnt break.. That is faulty logic.

I love my p380. But to try and claim that Kahr doesnt have a problem with their 380 strikers breaking is wrong. Search around the internet, it happens to way too many people, and our strikers break in the *exact same* place every time. It happened to me with 2 separate guns with serial numbers 10 letters apart.
    Lakeline stikers exist specifically Because Kahr has a 380 striker problem. It is only cost effective for them to manufacture those strikers because so many people break theirs. even The p365 striker aftermarket dried up after sig redesigned their striker last year, the only ones left are designed after the gen1 strikers, because the gen2 ones dont break enough to warrant a profitable aftermarket.

Just to break it down by the numbers. lets be extremely liberal and say that 5% of kahrs 380 strikers are faulty and will break within 500 rounds (which would be VERY unacceptable for a ccw carry gun. at the height of sigs p365 striker fiasco even they did not come close to a 5% failure rate), then the chance of me getting 2 faulty strikers with two independent observations would be 0.05 * 0.05 = 0.0025 , or 0.25%.
    So I either won some 1 in 500 faulty striker lottery, or the percent of bad strikers is much higher than 5%.

another gentleman in this thread said he broke 5 strikers. So either he won a one:ten million lottery... Or kahr has a striker problem in their 380 handguns...

Most competition shooters dry fire their guns thousands of times a week.
    Even though I'm a competitor, I just don't have the time to dry fire, and practice nearly as much as I SHOULD.
    That said, out of all the dry fire practice I've done, the only guns I've had issues with is my M&Ps. I broke two strikers. Both times, I called S&W and they sent me a new one. All 3 strikers were different, which tells me that they knew they had a problem, and re-engineered their strikers.
    Maybe, one of these nights, I'll dig out my CW380, and dry fire it a couple thousand times to see if the striker will fail.
    Yup, I'll do it, and report back.

Wonderful, if faulty, supposition based statistical analysis. What's your point? Kahr 380's had a striker breakage problem. So what. I have a P380 and a CW380 with lots of rounds through them and no striker failures. Failure to extract was a huge problem with the CW but it was easily fixed. There was a lot of chatter on here about FTE. Guess what? Not so much lately. Under your logic I should get rid my 380's because a striker breakage is imminent. I haven't heard of a striker breakage on this board for AGES. Maybe Kahr, being a responsible manufacturer, fixed the problem. Are you just here to bust Kahr's balls? Are you on other makers forums busting their balls too? EVERY manufacturer has issues. I'm here to learn about issues Kahr owners and shooters find and resolutions to them. I think Kahr uses this forum for the same thing and that's why we don't hear much about broken strikers or FTE anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by charczard View Post
    Just to break it down by the numbers. lets be extremely liberal and say that 5% of kahrs 380 strikers are faulty and will break within 500 rounds (which would be VERY unacceptable for a ccw carry gun. at the height of sigs p365 striker fiasco even they did not come close to a 5% failure rate), then the chance of me getting 2 faulty strikers with two independent observations would be 0.05 * 0.05 = 0.0025 , or 0.25%.
    So I either won some 1 in 500 faulty striker lottery, or the percent of bad strikers is much higher than 5%.

another gentleman in this thread said he broke 5 strikers. So either he won a one:ten million lottery... Or kahr has a striker problem in their 380 handguns...

Quote Originally Posted by charczard View Post
    1) broken firing pins are not 'User error' (unless youre using snap caps made of steel or something)
    2) just because YOU have a pico thats fine doesnt mean they dont have problems ( the plural of anecdote is not data).
    3) the reason why I feel confident that Kahr has a striker problem with their 380s is because I had two independent guns break their striker in the exact same place (which is coincidentally the same place everyone's stikers break). Again, you for some reason feel like the countless examples on this very forum (and this very thread) of people breaking their strikers are somehow negated by the fact that YOU have one that didnt break.. That is faulty logic.

I love my p380. But to try and claim that Kahr doesnt have a problem with their 380 strikers breaking is wrong. Search around the internet, it happens to way too many people, and our strikers break in the *exact same* place every time. It happened to me with 2 separate guns with serial numbers 10 letters apart.
    Lakeline stikers exist specifically Because Kahr has a 380 striker problem. It is only cost effective for them to manufacture those strikers because so many people break theirs. even The p365 striker aftermarket dried up after sig redesigned their striker last year, the only ones left are designed after the gen1 strikers, because the gen2 ones dont break enough to warrant a profitable aftermarket.
    Actually have two Pico with no striker problems. Also have shot about 1500 rounds through the CW with NO problems and twice that with the CM9. Although I did replace it with the lakeland and still do not know why I did. The fact that I have not had any problems seem to really nerve you. The point about the strikers with the Pico was the fact that the manual specifically states to use snap caps, and all reported failures were with people who did not. It was NOT dry firing that was the problem.
    Just because Lakeland makes a after market product does not mean every gun without his product will have a failure. Where do YOU get your information. Gallaway sells after market products as well as dozens of other companies.
    I know you would like me to report I had a problem with a broken striker. But sorry, I cannot do this. I will have to stick to the facts from my own experience and not worry about the Internet.