Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 kahr 380s, 2 broken strikers

Is this conversation still going on?

There have been multiple reports of broken 380 strikers on this forum. Lakeline responded by selling a beefier striker which you can now also buy directly from Kahr.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Is this conversation still going on?

There have been multiple reports of broken 380 strikers on this forum. Lakeline responded by selling a beefier striker which you can now also buy directly from Kahr.
    It indeed has been a while since I've seen a broken striker on this board. I think the horse is dead. We can stop beating it now.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Not to keep beating the horse, but is this problem specific to the .380 Kahrs, or all of them?
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Mostly the 380's. Not heard of issues with any of the others.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I would immediately dump both pistols and move on to something more reliable .

Look hard at the Sig P365.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    I would immediately dump both pistols and move on to something more reliable .

Look hard at the Sig P365.
    I wouldn't dump anything.

I love my P365, but the 365 has had it's share of problems.

Broken strikers being one of those problems. Sig has had 3 iterations of strikers for this gun. The most recent seems promising, and also helps eliminate primer drag.

Lightning Strike also makes an aftermarket striker that is not a MIM piece, but it's like a hundred bucks - vs the 30 something for a 380 Lakeline striker. Interestingly enough, Kahr actually sells that Lakeline striker on their website.

My P365 came with a dead tritium vial on the rear sight. Sig sent me a new set of sights in a few days though, and also offered to install them if I sent them the slide. The dead sight issue persists for new 365's even today.

Other failures for the P365 that have been reported include broken trigger return springs, defective recoil spring assemblies, extractor issues, magazine follower issues, and persistent rust issues on the sights and mag release. New, un-purchased guns in gun shops have been reported to have rust on them, even though they just recently arrived.

These are just some of the more common problems, but like ANYTHING made by man, nothing is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Mostly the 380's. Not heard of issues with any of the others.
    Thank you for the reply.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Last December before our 3-week Winter trip, I went to put on my P40 and my CrossBreed Minituck holster. My pants had shrunk! I got out my P380 Mintuck and it fit fine.

I've been carrying the P380 mostly since then and it has always been my around the house and Dr. visit pitol.

I've been cleaning it more often because I rely on it more. I've been having a problem with rust... from the slide lock pin and spring area, aswell as the front and rear of the recoil assembly. I got my P380 new 1 April 2010... had a night-sighted one on order for 11 months!

I've put well over 200 +P rounds through the pistol and maybe a few thousand FMJ, too. I started out with 90-grain Gold Dots by Buffalo Bore and when they started using a different bullet, I switched to Underwood's 90-gr +P GD's at 1,200 fps.

I've never had a problem with my pistol, though the +P rounds ARE brutal... like .357 Magnums in a 2" snubbie!

Anyhow, back to the rust. I use Tetra oil and grease and I 'm still getting rust buildup, so I just ordered Lakeline's stainless guide rod, and while there I looked at the striker again and decided to get one of those as well because of the most robust design. I've had no problems with the original and I did put the lighter Wolff striker spring in it many years ago.

Since this has become my EDC until my pants get a little more room for the larger pistol, I thought I would get a few nagging concerns, or possible ones, taken care of. Next, I'll look for a replacement defense round... standard pressure... since my impact point has moved away from where I would like it with the +P ammo. Standard FMJ is okay for me. I'll see what Underwood has for defense... maybe even the +P with another bullet.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Great post.

Does the 380 striker use the same spring as the 9mm striker?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Great post.

Does the 380 striker use the same spring as the 9mm striker?
    When I was having light strikes with a used P380 I tried a PM9 striker spring in it. That cured the light strikes, but the slide would move rearward as I pulled the trigger (heavier striker spring overcoming the recoil spring). So my take is that they are not the same.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>