CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing AMT Update

Default Polishing AMT Update

I found myself bored this evening, with it wet and mosquito infested outside. So it struck me to get one of those “round tuit’s”. I remembered that I had started a polishing project last year, an AMT Back Up .380 (single action version) at the same time I started in on my K9. I started with what I would call a very fine example. The finish was still in great shape, with only a little tarnishing, “patina” and mild handling marks evident. Based on the time I spent with it on the range, I would definitely trust it more than my LCP, but maybe not as much as my P238 or CW380 I had at the time. Anyways, I want it to be a bit BBQish, so I started in on it with my sandpaper, files, stones, dremel, buffing compounds sweat, cussing and occasional alcoholic beverage. I’m posting up a few before pics. As you can see, the factory finish was kind of like dipped in hot glue, then rolled around in fine sand. Once you get past that stuff, the wonderful investment casting lines, pock marks and machine chatter marks rear their ugly heads. Well as of tonight (should I say this morning, as I just realized it is 1 am, I started in on it at 7pm) I have gotten most of the finish off of the slide, frame and pinky rest/mag floor plate. I’ve also worked past a lot of chatter and casting marks/lines and casting pock marks/holes. I will keep at this one over the next while and get it done before too long. As I did with the K9, I will update as I go, posting pics of the progress. Now if I could just get Al or Bawanna to make me some cool double diamond blackwood/ebony or G10 grips for it! : )

By the way, if anyone ever tells you that all you need is some Flitz and elbow grease to polish a stainless gun... Plan on living older than Moses did!

Amen to that brother. I did some polishing on my PM45, the barrel and mags and stuff polish easy, but that slide finish is tough and it was way nicer to start with than your little AMT to start with. I didn't get it as BBqish as I wanted but pretty shiny.
    The markings on the AMT are just painted on, see they all disappeared during the prep which to me is actually kind of cool. I don't much care for reader boards on the slide.

If I can find somebody around here with an AMT I can whittle out some ebony, think I might even have a piece big enough maybe.
    I don't mess with G10 much, actually haven't been making much sawdust of late but I suddenly got a few projects on the calendar.

Lady at my night job want's me to build a box / Urn for her departed horse. Wish I have better tooling/saws etc but I'll get r dun.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Amen to that brother. I did some polishing on my PM45, the barrel and mags and stuff polish easy, but that slide finish is tough and it was way nicer to start with than your little AMT to start with. I didn't get it as BBqish as I wanted but pretty shiny.
    The markings on the AMT are just painted on, see they all disappeared during the prep which to me is actually kind of cool. I don't much care for reader boards on the slide.

If I can find somebody around here with an AMT I can whittle out some ebony, think I might even have a piece big enough maybe.
    I don't mess with G10 much, actually haven't been making much sawdust of late but I suddenly got a few projects on the calendar.

Lady at my night job want's me to build a box / Urn for her departed horse. Wish I have better tooling/saws etc but I'll get r dun.
    I know exactly what you mean. I did a P9 once and while the slide was definitely easier than the AMT, it was no joke either. I wish I still had the pics of that one. Did my first stipple job on it too.
    Yes, I can’t stand billboard slides either. I’ve seen a few models out there that I would absolutely drool over if it weren’t for HUGE logo’s, etc all over the slide. Not sure how those manufactures think because any time those are discussed the guys I’ve spoken to all dislike them. As the AMT writing went away, it started reminding me a bit of the MK9.
    I was just poking you about the grips. I think they would be a royal pita to make with the areas of the back having to be just right to sit down into the frame cutouts. The little screw on the grips just kind of helps, while the protrusions on the back of the grips do the work of keeping them from sliding around. I think their too complicated, which is why you don’t see much in the way of custom for them, even though a lot of these guns were made. Thanks though, and mighty nice of you to think about it. Also very nice what you are doing for that lady! I hope good things come your way for the good you do!

Put about another 4 hours into it today. As good as it may look in the pics, it still has a long ways to go to be where I’m satisfied. I always tell myself, you put this much time in it so far, it would be a shame not to take it all the way!
    Then there’s the trigger, sear, safety, mag release, mag, and a few other tiny parts to go (sigh).
    While I was at it, I progressed a bit on a Springfield compact 1911 that I had started a while back too. That’s it’s frame behind the AMT’s.

Cool cutaway/3D/X-ray vid of an AMT in action

https://youtu.be/vrvV718T7dk

In this vid, at about 9:20, you can see what I mean about the backside of the grips
    https://youtu.be/N4GOSQWVO4M

Grips are like a Hi Power and a few others with a little tab to hold the front of the grip in place.

Not easy but not near as bad as all the angles and different planes that have to be perfect on the Kahr to make them look proper.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I wish I had the patience to do that.

Nice work!

I bought an AMT Back Up when they first hit the market back in the late '70s. A breakthrough, compact carry .380 at the time. For me, a working gun it's long since been replaced.
    NRA Benefactor

Looking good!

I had an AMT like yours, but traded it off for a lighter P3AT.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Grips are like a Hi Power and a few others with a little tab to hold the front of the grip in place.

Not easy but not near as bad as all the angles and different planes that have to be perfect on the Kahr to make them look proper.
    I bet you could do it, but would hate to put such a task on somebody. If I could somehow make a template of the frame I’m sure it would make things a little easier. I saw some clear grips for this little guy for sale somewhere in my research. Once the polish work is done I might give them a go. Something I have to postulate upon when the time comes! : )