CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting high with my new-to-me PM9

Quote Originally Posted by Noway View Post
    Thanks. I'll check that next time at the range, but on two sessions shooting a variety of ammunition the offset has been virtually identical. I've never had this issue before with any handgun I can think of, including not a few 9x18s that kicked like the dickens.
    Over time I've had problems with new handguns, it's amazing what a change in grip can do, one thing I've done is in using hogue grips with same feel.

Using the Dawson Precision sight calculator I need a front sight .230” high; stock is .180”. Or figure out a different hold.

or maybe buy aftermarket sights and just be done with it.
    Last edited by Noway; 06-23-2019 at 08:20 AM.

So, installing TruGlo TFO sights. Rear sight comes out okay, although there appears to be a tiny bit of rust in the dovetail cut. Seated the new sight with no problems at all.

Front sight, working with a Wheeler sight tool, the front sight blade shears completely off leaving the remaining base firmly seated in the dovetail. The break looks like pot metal to me, large rough crystals. It's also soft so my attempts to punch it out are just deforming the metal without moving it. I hope this was not a Kahr sight but maybe an aftermarket, given the quality of the material.

Now to find a way to get this thing out without damaging the slide...

Take a dremel with a cut off wheel and carefully just cut the base about the middle cross ways to the slide.
    The heat build up a lone will help a little. Can't cut all the way through but close and you should be able to punch it out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Take a dremel with a cut off wheel and carefully just cut the base about the middle cross ways to the slide.
    The heat build up a lone will help a little. Can't cut all the way through but close and you should be able to punch it out.
    Thanks, that was my inclination (guess), but I had to stop for the night as I was getting irritated and the garage is about 95 degrees... This will require some cautious deliberation.

When you get to that point time to sleep on it...

On the chance that the front sight had thread locker used on it, I'd give it some heat before going to the punch and hammer again.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Probably wise, maybe heat and a little Kroil. Might penetrate in there and loosen things up since he found rust on the rear.
    Then careful deliberation with the cutter.
    I have a hard time stopping when I get irritated, it is the smart thing to do to call it a day and try again another day, just not good at it.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Got the dovetail base out after making the cut.

Now, install from the left or the right (strong hand side or weak hand)?

There are a few YT videos on installation, but nothing particular to the Kahr...

I'm going to oil the new sight a tad, so I don't get a repeat of last night. Sheesh.

Usually right to left muzzle forward on everything I've done.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Usually right to left muzzle forward on everything I've done.
    Yes, I guess it's common-sense, but at that point I was being very wary.

Success, although the dovetail is a wee bit on the loose side. Will take it to the range and see if it holds zero, if not a few dimples on the underside should tighten it up.

Found the sight blade; boy that thing was in there TIGHT!
    Last edited by Noway; 06-30-2019 at 05:56 AM.