Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: CM40 Range Report

Default CM40 Range Report

Hit the range today to run 100 rounds through the new CM40. 50 Federal 180 grain FP and 50 reloads. For the reloads I was testing 155XTPs, 180XTPs, 165 gr TC and 180 gn FP coated.

I started with the factory Federal 180s. First two mags (10 rounds) were fired at a 10 yard target to get used to the sights and verify the POA/POI . I was expecting a bit more harsh “snap” from this small a pistol in 40 cal, however I was pleasantly surprised to find the recoil was no worse than my 9mm Shield, and just as accurate at this distance. Now that I knew what to expect, I loaded and fired the remaining 40 rounds at 8 yards to test the control-ability of the Kahr during rapid fire. Again, I was surprised at how well I could stay on target while firing 5 rounds in 3 to 4 seconds, with groups around 4 to 6 inches.

Next came the moment of truth. Will the CM40 function reliably using my reloads, and my very first 40S&W reloads at that. Thankfully every one of the 155 and 180 XTPs fed and fired flawlessly (15 of each), as did the 165gn coated TC (10 each). The problem was with the 180gn FP coated SNS bullets. 6 of the 10 rounds I tested jammed between the chamber and extractor so I had to sling-shot the slide to get these to feed. The issue could be that I had to load these to 1.100” OAL to compensate for the barrel’s short leade. Not an issue as I’ll use the 165s and XTPs for .40 practice and save the 180FP’s for my 10mm.

I did have one issue that can be written off as operator error. On a few occasions, during rapid fire, the slide would lock back with rounds still in the mag. Turned out to be my thumb hitting the bottom of the slide stop. Once I made a conscience effort to hold my thumb lower I never had it happen again. If I start to do it again over the next few hundred rounds or so, I might just go ahead and remove some material from the stop to provide more thumb clearance.

Another minor issue worth mentioning is the grip texture. The raised squares on the front/rear strap work well to keep your grip secure, however the front strap started to irritate my third finger after the first 50 rounds. At the 100 round mark, I was glad to be done as my finger was getting very sore. With a pinky extension it probably wouldn't hurt as bad, but since I'll be carrying it with the flush mag, I'll add a grip sleeve instead.

Final thoughts...
    Having never fired a 40 this small, I had some reservations about buying the CM40, especially after reading the internet/forum comments. When someone asked about Kahr CM/PM 40s, many shooters quickly recommended that they buy the CM/PM 9 instead. Their reasoning was that the 9 would be easier to shoot and follow-up defensive shots more accurate due to less recoil. Well, I have fired a PM9 and it's my opinion that the CM40 isn't that much snappier. I've also fired the Shield 40 (larger than the CM40) and find the Kahr less snappy, and easier to stay on target during rapid (defensive) fire. For those who have mastered the mouse 380s and micro 9s, I believe they would do real well with the Kahr CM40, I highly recommend it.

First 10 rounds @ 10 yards. 3.2" group

Favorite reload. 180XTP, 6.3gn BE-86, 975 FPS, semi-Rapid fire @ 8 yards. 2" group.

Very clean brass. Probably due to a minimum spec chamber.

2 Federal factory rounds(left) 3 reloads(right). Note striker drag (on all 100 rounds) normal?

Follower after 100 rounds. No contact with barrel feed ramp.

Barrel Ramp. Any difference from earlier pistols?

Trigger pull consistently at 5-1/4 to 5-1/2 pounds and smooth as silk.

Striker drag is completely normal and no concern.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Installed a Hogue grip sleeve on the CM40 and have been to the range a few more times. What a difference the sleeve makes. I can shoot this pistol all day without issue. Fired 300 rounds now, and the last 200 have been 100% reliable. I'm amazed at how accurate, and easy to shoot this little Gem is. It's ready for EDC as soon as my holster arrives.

60 rounds at 8 yards. Rapid-fire, double-tap, strong handed, weak handed, doesn't matter as the CM40 is easy to handle and stays on target.