CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr S9 vs Kahr P9 ???

Default Kahr S9 vs Kahr P9 ???

Anyone have any experience with both the S9 and P9, otherwise can someone elaborate on how well the S9 performs? I assume the P9 would be the pinnacle of the two.

Thanks,
    Ralph

Practically speaking the major difference is the barrel rifling. Other than the sights and rail on the S9, the rest of the pistols features and design are as similar as can be. No difference in action or recoil. Holster availability for the S9 is more scarce than for a P9.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Any holster that can take a CW9 will take an S9. The external dimensions are exactly the same. If you mount a light/laser on the rail, that changes things, obviously.

They're basically the same gun internally. The sights are interchangeable (identical except the CW9 rear is as I, the S9 a two-dot). The only real differences are are the slide (front-serrations on the S9) and the picatinny rail on the S9. Also, the S9 should come with two magazines, whereas the CW9 comes with one.

Quote Originally Posted by IDisposable View Post
    Any holster that can take a CW9 will take an S9. The external dimensions are exactly the same. If you mount a light/laser on the rail, that changes things, obviously.

They're basically the same gun internally. The sights are interchangeable (identical except the CW9 rear is as I, the S9 a two-dot). The only real differences are are the slide (front-serrations on the S9) and the picatinny rail on the S9. Also, the S9 should come with two magazines, whereas the CW9 comes with one.

A Kydex holster for the CW9 will likely be a problem with the S9, because Kydex is molded to the exact firearm, and the rail on the S9 won't fit. In a leather holster, sure, but Kydex is unforgiving.

That's true, I tend toward soft holsters for my CCW anyway, currently using an Urban Carry G2 which has molded just fine.

If doing a Kydex, you would have to have the correct laser/light identified too... likely a custom mold anyway. I got feedback from Aggressive Concealment that they would mold it if I sent it in. https://aggressiveconcealment.com/pr...olster-kahr-s9 but ended up just using the G2 all the time

I have a coworker that uses the Sneaky Pete for EDC https://sneakypeteholsters.com/kahr-...ku=SP-1246-BLU

Even a leather P9 holster will not take a S9. The rail makes too much of a difference. Some soft generic holsters may work.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Hello All,
    I can make my own kydex holster or hybrid if needed, so I am not so concerned with holsters. I'm most interested in whether the P9 outperforms the S9 in some fashion. Are the triggers the same, is the balance different, does the S9 exhibit less recoil due to standard rifling?

God Bless,
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
    Hello All,
    I can make my own kydex holster or hybrid if needed, so I am not so concerned with holsters. I'm most interested in whether the P9 outperforms the S9 in some fashion. Are the triggers the same, is the balance different, does the S9 exhibit less recoil due to standard rifling?

God Bless,
    Ralph
    To answer your question, no. The Premium pistols and the Value Line pistols are functionally the same. I have pistols from all three Kahr lines(third being the stainless) and they all work identically, have the same trigger(with a slight edge to the stainless guns, TBH). Rifling has nothing to do with recoil----it is supposed to improve accuracy, but that's anecdotal, at best.

The P9 is a better looking handgun, in my eyes, because of the extra milling operations. P9 has a front dovetail sight, where the S9 is pinned on. But the S9 has a rail and front serrations. Rail MAY have some use if you mount a very small light to it, like the Olight Mini Valkyrie. But mounting a laser to the P9 is easy with the Crimson Trace Laserguard.

The question isn't really is it worth buying a P9 over an S9, rather is it worth buying an S9 over a CW9.

Quote Originally Posted by IDisposable View Post
    That's true, I tend toward soft holsters for my CCW anyway, currently using an Urban Carry G2 which has molded just fine.

If doing a Kydex, you would have to have the correct laser/light identified too... likely a custom mold anyway. I got feedback from Aggressive Concealment that they would mold it if I sent it in. https://aggressiveconcealment.com/pr...olster-kahr-s9 but ended up just using the G2 all the time

I have a coworker that uses the Sneaky Pete for EDC https://sneakypeteholsters.com/kahr-...ku=SP-1246-BLU
    The Sneaky Pete might be an acceptable option for a very small pistol, like a CW380 or a LCP---but pocket carry would work better. Putting a pistol the size of a CW9 in a Sneaky Pete is going to look obvious and strange to most people. That being said, I have two of the Sneaky Pete mag holsters, and they're great. I especially like the one with the flap because it looks like a Leatherman case.

Quote Originally Posted by MMyers1970 View Post
    .......Rifling has nothing to do with recoil----it is supposed to improve accuracy, but that's anecdotal, at best......"
    Hello MMyers,
    Thanks for your input. In regards to rifling, the polygonal rifling creates more pressure and due to such recoil will inevitably increase, its physics. Standard rifling has deep grooves which allow some of the gases to escape which results in less pressure. So I cannot agree that rifling has nothing to do with recoil because it does. The question is whether the difference in recoil between polygonal and standard rifling is discernible?

Thanks,
    Ralph