Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty, but not perfect, but also not bad

Default Pretty, but not perfect, but also not bad

So, I have acquired one of the color case hardened Auto Ordnance 1911 pistols. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it might not be for everyone, but I think it's a looker.

Yes, a looker, but not, IMO, without some warts.
    There were three areas of significant size (if little finger nail size can be considered significant) where It appeared there was not any color. Here is a shot of one of those areas.

The other spots were below the thumb safety and just about the same place on the opposite side.

At this point, I'm going to discuss the word that was later passed on to me. To paraphrase that word: basically, this sometime occurs in the process, the contractor feels it is normal and doesn't receive many complaints about. Word was also passed that this is true color case hardening, not a sprayed on finish. Importantly, I can have it refinished at no charge if I desire to.

Well, after I noticed the areas the first time, I made up my mind to try my hand at "coloring" them to more closely match the rest of the finish. I have done some of this on color case hardened parts before. If the case hardened areas have been treated with clear paint(ie Cerakote) or varnish, then it's a non starter. If the areas have not been painted/varnished or it's an area where painted on, fake color case hardening has worn through, then some touch up can be done with cold blue. I do believe the AO has genuine color casehardening and that it may even had a sealer applied. However, after trying cold blue on it, I don't believe it has had a good protective finish. In short, I was able to color the areas I wanted to color. I won't be returning the pistol for refinishing as I am at peace with the results from the cold blue.

Other observations:
    The slide to frame fit is incredibly tight, as is lock up. The slide did not hand cycle that smoothly at first, but has smoothed out considerably after just about 100 rounds. I had a couple of failures to completely return to battery in the first 50 rounds, none in the second fifty. I'm a little surprised at that as the extractor seems to have a lot of tension on it.

For some reason, the firing pin spring is overly long compared to the springs in my other 1911 pistols. The spring is also way heavier. I had no failures to fire with it, but replaced it with something for my spare parts and had no issues with that spring either.

The trigger was pretty heavy out of the box. I put in a different sear spring to help with that. I also did a little polishing of surfaces, but see more of that soon.

The sights are tiny, but they do fit the look of the gun. It proved to be wishful thinking on my part to think I could shoot well with them as I didn't on my first outing (the trigger probably contributed to that as well).

After changing the sear spring and putting some orange paint on the front sight, I feel I could hit things if they don't move too much.

10yds.

The front strap is contoured to my liking. I find the gun pleasant to shoot.

The gun is made nicely. Lines are good, surfaces are smooth/flat, and the lettering is full. The magazine release does have a prominent casting line and there is a faint one visible on the top of hammer. I replaced the mag release.

I'm okay with where I'm headed with this gun
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

All negatives aside, she is a looker. I like that a lot!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    All negatives aside, she is a looker. I like that a lot!
    I also like it. I'm thinking hiccups instead of negatives. It's the only 1911 I have with an arched mainspring housing and it does have a GI feel to. Shooting it stirs up memories of time spent with M1911A1 pistols issued by Uncle Sam
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

It's fine as long as you don't mind the "hiccups". Most people aren't gunsmith's. It would be very disappointing to most to spend money and have to change half the firearm. Thumbs down for me.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    It's fine as long as you don't mind the "hiccups". Most people aren't gunsmith's. It would be very disappointing to most to spend money and have to change half the firearm. Thumbs down for me.
    I'd like to clarify a bit about the "hiccups". They were mostly in regards to the finish (which I could have redone at no cost and might not have even bothered someone else). There were two stoppages in the first 50 rounds, but the gun has run fine since then. It didn't require anything more than more rounds down the pipe to smooth things out. Other than that the gun was fully functional out of the box. I just changed some things to suit my taste or to accommodate my limitations. Sorry for not being more clear about that.
    Regards,
    Greg

Make my day and post a picture with some stag grips on the beauty.

I'm sitting down so ready whenever.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Make my day and post a picture with some stag grips on the beauty.

I'm sitting down so ready whenever.
    Here it is with a panel off my Colt !00 Years of Service pistol:

Regards,
    Greg

Gorgeous. Wide spur hammer, lanyard loop and stag, it's got it all.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Wow. That is a beauty.

Looks nice with the stag. I can understand some firing break in. Maybe it's just me, but at the cost of firearms these days, missing blue would be unacceptable. Maybe they would like to compensate you for repairs???????????