Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P380

@sudo. You should try your friends 380 and see if it runs for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Kahr .380s are known to choke on Fiocchi ammo. Apparently a case rim/extractor compatibility issue. Some members have fixed it by increasing the distance that the extractor hook sits from the breech face. I also heard that Kahr remedied it in recent extractor production but I have yet to find out if that is confirmed.
    First post here.
    Got a CW380 with the factory front night sight last weekend.

Kahr HAS NOT fixed the issue with Fiocchi ammo.
    (Wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't been reading on here.)

I sat down with the gun and 9 different flavors of ammo.
    I put one round in the top of the magazine and used the slide release lever to chamber the round.
    The only one that would not chamber was the Fiocchi fmj.
    The Fiocchi XTP round actually did chamber.

Results at the range verified this.
    The rounds that chambered fed fine, with maybe 5 malfunctions in the first 130 rounds.
    Fiocchi fmj would not feed without bumping the slide, and the second round would jam after the first fired.

5 misfeeds out of 130 rounds might be marginally o.k. for a range gun, but is unacceptable for a carry gun.

And who buys a p380 as a range gun?

I didn’t buy my P380 as a “range gun”, per se, but one I could carry, and shoot every time I go to the range without fearing it will break.

The reason I am here, is that I originally thought I wanted to buy a Diamondback DB380 as my first carry gun (I loved how the “tester” shot at the local range). However, I was told to “carry it a lot, but shoot it a little”. I was unhappy with that, and said “If I have to worry about a gun breaking with normal trips to the range, I don’t want to carry it.”

The response to that was, “Well, then you want to buy a Kahr P380 or a Sig Sauer P238. And, you need to go to another gun shop because we don’t carry those. They are too expensive for our normal customer.”

So, I went to another LGS, held the Kahr, held the Sig, did as much research as I could, and decided I liked the trigger on the Kahr better. And, I ended up here that same week.

So, long story short, I am that guy.

-Wlf

An we're durn lucky you found us too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by sudo View Post
    5 misfeeds out of 130 rounds might be marginally o.k. for a range gun, but is unacceptable for a carry gun.

And who buys a p380 as a range gun?
    I agree.

That was the first 130 of my 200 round break in period.
    The next range trip saw me go just over 220 with 1 FTE and 1 round that ejected but the slide closed on an empty chamber with rounds in the mag.??
    (That malfunction happened twice during the first 130 rounds.)

I am hopeful that the next range trip will see the gun start to run as it should.
    Otherwise, it's back to the mothership.

Quote Originally Posted by mini14jac View Post
    I agree.

That was the first 130 of my 200 round break in period.
    The next range trip saw me go just over 220 with 1 FTE and 1 round that ejected but the slide closed on an empty chamber with rounds in the mag.??
    (That malfunction happened twice during the first 130 rounds.)

I am hopeful that the next range trip will see the gun start to run as it should.
    Otherwise, it's back to the mothership.
    As someone who has been down that round a couple of times, I would suggest that you try to find a few rounds that would meet your SD parameters, and then see if you can get one or more to operate 100% in your Kahr.

I've got a P380 that seems to very much like Critical Defense (a rather forgiving round in most micros, it would seem) as well as both the Hornady and Underwood XTP rounds. There are quite a few rounds is flat out doesn't like, but as much as I love the pistol I'm not going to worry about the failures, and just be appreciative that I've got a great little gun that happens to really like a couple of great SD rounds.

I think that if you take that approach you may avoid a lot of wasted time and money, as well as undue frustration. IMHO, these Kahrs can be a bit finicky, and trying to force-feed ammo it demonstrably doesn't like is a long road to nowhere.

Good luck.....

Hi folks, been a while. I just picked up a P380 today from the pawn shop. I wasn't really looking to buy anything, I was selling. But I saw this thing, fondled it, thought about it for a few days, couldn't stand it, went and bought it. Good to know about the Fiocci, I'll avoid that. I'll try to get to the range in a couple weeks and see how it does.

Question: How to read the serial number to find the date of manufacture?

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Question: How to read the serial number to find the date of manufacture?
    The serial number plate is on the grip. If there is an aftermarket grip sleeve on your P380, it'll be underneath it. The plate is on the same side of the frame as the slide release lever

PM9 and P380 (3).jpg