Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 magazines, are there cheap ones?

Default .357 magazines, are there cheap ones?

Hey,
    I was watching a video about conceal carry of single action pistols, and the guy mentioned using an old magazine with the spring tension reduced as a quick reload tool.
    A quick search on Ebay found all of the .357 mags at 45.00 plus. Looking for something in the 20.00 range.
    NRA Benefactor

I have a buddy who picked up a Charter Arms Pit Bull in 9mm last year. It has an extra bit in the cylinder that lets you load the revolver without using moonclips. It's an interesting gun and if I ever find one for a good price (early six shot) I'll pick it up.
    But, it is slower to reload than a "regular" revolver like my Bulldog in .44sp. We tried two different "speed loaders", a speed strip and a Kahr K9 mag. I was (slightly) faster with a Tuff products speed strip (6 or 7 rounder loaded with five) and my buddy had a quicker reload with the (old but stock) K9mag.
    Any gunshow/web search you get to should yield speed strips but the only .357 magnum mags I can remember are Coonan (currently not open for biz). Those mags can be hard to find and they are never truly cheap.

Truth be told, I have a 642 S&W in my pocket right now with a loaded speed strip right beside it...
    My natural state of being, if I'm not at work.

Living in Texas I do know a number of folks who carry the single action Ruger for SD "because they can". Not sure what any of them use as an aid to reloading. The folks I know though are all Cowboy Action shooters and the single actions are "what they know best" and they shoot them VERY well indeed.

Good luck with the quest and let us know here what you find.

Peace
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

I've been carrying my Colt Clone little Uberti in 45 Colt once in a while lately. Kind of going back to my roots I guess, I'm a born thumb buster and prefer those single actions. Near as pretty as a 1911 in my book.
    I have a Ruger Vaquero Birdshead in 45acp inbound and hoping it's a shooter. It will see some carry time for sure once it proves itself.

I don't worry too much on reloads even though I generally carry a spare mag or two. Seem to care even less as time goes by.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Please post pics of your new Ruger. As you might know, I have grown to like their birdsheads....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I got to hold mine for a bit, looks like the bottom one in your pic. Polished stainless in 45acp.
    Since Washington is now a California clone, even with a CPL and a badge I have to wait for back grounds and nut case checks. No more instant checks and out the door. It was a close thing, went into effect July 1, I bought it on June 24th. Guy wouldn't take a card or Pay Pal so had to mail a check, dealer said he'd us the 28th as a transfer date but in the end he changed his mind, I think just to piss me off which he did a fine job of doing, not the first time. I only use him for transfers as the other shops now want 50 bucks or won't do transfers at all.

Waiting to pick up a gun thats 2 miles from work that's already paid for kind of upsets me to no end.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well, now I have a reason to bring both my Ruger Mark II and Heritage Rough Rider to the range. Gotta try squirting .22s into the cylinder like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I got to hold mine for a bit, looks like the bottom one in your pic. Polished stainless in 45acp.
    Since Washington is now a California clone, even with a CPL and a badge I have to wait for back grounds and nut case checks. No more instant checks and out the door. It was a close thing, went into effect July 1, I bought it on June 24th. Guy wouldn't take a card or Pay Pal so had to mail a check, dealer said he'd us the 28th as a transfer date but in the end he changed his mind, I think just to piss me off which he did a fine job of doing, not the first time. I only use him for transfers as the other shops now want 50 bucks or won't do transfers at all.

Waiting to pick up a gun thats 2 miles from work that's already paid for kind of upsets me to no end.
    You have my sympathy. Those draconian laws will not make a difference in the crime rates nor stop a nutcase. But you know that. Texas politicians aren’t much better, as they are too chicken to pass Constitutional Carry.

Anyway, that bottom one is a Single Seven - built on the Single Six frame in .327 Federal Magnum. If I buy another birdshead, it will be the New Vaquero in .357.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

So rumor around my parts, is the .45ACP rugers with fixed sights, shoot low. The sights were setup for 45 Long Colt, and when they added the .45 ACP, they kept the same sights, any truth to the rumor.

Well...I have given up on finding a reasonable priced .357 magazine. Desert eagles are the cheapest at 42.00 plus shipping. Guess I have to get a Single Action in .45 ACP, so I can use an old 1911 mag.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    So rumor around my parts, is the .45ACP rugers with fixed sights, shoot low. The sights were setup for 45 Long Colt, and when they added the .45 ACP, they kept the same sights, any truth to the rumor.

Well...I have given up on finding a reasonable priced .357 magazine. Desert eagles are the cheapest at 42.00 plus shipping. Guess I have to get a Single Action in .45 ACP, so I can use an old 1911 mag.
    I don't know about the .45ACP Rugers shooting low rumor, but my New Vaquero and Vaquero (two in the center below) chambered in .45 Colt shot low.

The good thing is it's a relatively easy fix (especially in stainless). Establish what load will be your "go to", then head to the range with that, your Ruger, and a file. At the range, determine at what distance you want to regulate your sights, then, carefully (while checking the results repeatedly), file the front sight down until your groups are up where you want them.
    Here's the target I used while doing this with my New Vaquero:

As to .357Magnum magazines. ProMag did make one for the Desert Eagle. It's been discontinued, but when they turn up on auction sights they are generally cheaper (mid $20s) than the Magnum Research versions.
    I wonder if a .30 carbine magazine would work?

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I don't know about the .45ACP Rugers shooting low rumor, but my New Vaquero and Vaquero (two in the center below) chambered in .45 Colt shot low.

The good thing is it's a relatively easy fix (especially in stainless). Establish what load will be your "go to", then head to the range with that, your Ruger, and a file. At the range, determine at what distance you want to regulate your sights, then, carefully (while checking the results repeatedly), file the front sight down until your groups are up where you want them.
    Here's the target I used while doing this with my New Vaquero:

As to .357Magnum magazines. ProMag did make one for the Desert Eagle. It's been discontinued, but when they turn up on auction sights they are generally cheaper (mid $20s) than the Magnum Research versions.
    I wonder if a .30 carbine magazine would work?

Regards,
    Greg
    Would you look at all that STAG! My oh my.
    It's usually caos with friends and family at the range when I'm at the lake but I'm hoping to get some alone or only one other with me a time or two, so I can actually work with the guns I haven't shot.

I'll bring my file although I doubt my Vaquero will get cleared before I leave anyhow, probably have to pick it up when I get back.
    Color me not happy.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan