Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tip for squeezing a new inner recoil spring of P380 in proper place?

Default Any tip for squeezing a new inner recoil spring of P380 in proper place?

The set of springs installed from the factory, after around 500-600 rounds, started cousing FRFB. So I ordered 3 new sets from Kahr online shop.
    Last weekend at the range I replaced the old with a new set.

The new inner recoil spring looks longer than the old one, much longer.
    I know it's because the new one had not been pressed in yet!

I could not do it by myself alone to squeeze 3 pieces: the guide rod, the outer recoil spring and the inner recoil spring, together into the slide. My fingers had not enough power to resist the springs energy. The long un-pressed in inner recoil spring seems causing most trouble. I had to ask for help from a range staff. We together spent about 15 mins to squeeze them in. Finally we succeeded. But my 2 thumbs and 2 index fingers are still hurt after 3 day past!

For betterment in the next round of spring replacement ...do you guys have any tip to advise? A tip that I can do it by myself alone.

I see the sticky thread at the beginning of the 1st page of the forum the tip for easy insert guide rod and springs avoiding the open end of the springs to poke out of the hole at the end of the slide. Having them oriented in either 12 or 6 o clock direction. But they seem already "pressed-in" springs. I want to know how to efficiently deal with a new spring.

Position the slide and barrel muzzle side down on the edge of a desk or bench.

Have the guide rod "hole" in the slide hanging over the edge.

You still have to "hunt" to find the guide rod hole with the tip of the guide rod, but it works easier than holding the whole assembly in your hands.

I saw a video once where someone with arthritis made a jig out of scrap wood that allowed this method to be done horizontally.

I have a similar way, upside down from Ed M. I got the idea from Bawanna, I believe. Place the recoil assembly on the edge of a workbench, with the flat side of the guide rod on the workbench, and the skinny end of the guide rod pointing toward the ceiling. Place the springs on the guide rod. Hold that assembly in place with your left hand. With your right hand, hold the slide, muzzle end painted at the ceiling. Place the slide over the top of the spring. Pull the slide down with your right hand, while using your left hand fingers to guide the guide rod into the guide rod hole. Once the guide rod goes through the hole, push the guide rod off the edge of the workbench, into place in the slide.

This is easier to to do than to explain.

-Wlf

I like to “prep” the springs by placing them on a long machine screw and then compressing them with a washer and nut. Put a washer on the other end too. After a few hours or overnight, the springs are a little shorter. It’s still a struggle though.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Thank you all Ed M, Wlfman13 and topgun1953.
    Now I have several techniques to try next round.

I'm using a jewelers vice to hold slide for me it's seems to be the best way for 75 year old hands, in this manner can use both hands to hold and insert spring..

It typically takes me at least 20 minutes and using every colorful metaphor I can think of in at least three languages before I can get brand-new springs to go in. C'mon Kahr, it shouldn't be this friggin' hard. Come up with a new spring design, or better yet redesign these pistols to use a captured RSA like most other gun manufacturers do these days.

I use a phillips head screwdriver just smaller than the guide rod diameter. I put that through the muzzle end of the slide. I put the springs on the screwdriver shaft and use the guide rod to push the screwdriver out and the guide rod slides right into place. Simple as can be.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Brilliant idea.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    I use a phillips head screwdriver just smaller than the guide rod diameter. I put that through the muzzle end of the slide. I put the springs on the screwdriver shaft and use the guide rod to push the screwdriver out and the guide rod slides right into place. Simple as can be.
    You're clearly more a gentleman than entrepreneur. You were supposed to grind the tips off a bunch of $2.00 Harbor Freight screwdrivers, then sell them as special $39.95 "Kahr assembly tools" to unsuspecting dummies like me.