Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Vaquero is a switch hitter now.

I'll have to look at my Vaquero that my son got. I don't recall what it says on it.
    I know it was the last one to hit Washington the last time they stopped making them so I'm not sure its old or New Vaquero.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thought we had a BBQ gun thread going but can't find it so I'll tag onto the switch hitter.
    Had a fine 3 day weekend, a little damp and got to spend time in my room and my garage, it was a great weekend, worked on some SP101 grip inserts and some other grip stuff.
    Tonight as the last hurrah before back to the sweat shop tomorrow I finished slimming down some "real Stag" grips that were on my 42 Colt. They were quite ugly, like varnished and also quite thick and certainly the old Colt deserved better. I'd cleaned the outside up pretty well, and they didn't look too bad but still very thick, and I much prefer thin on a 1911.
    So I've been working on slimming them down from the back since they couldn't really be slimmed from the top without getting smaller.

I finally got them quite acceptable, good enough that I hung them on my CBob everyday carry. Not the greatest looking piece of stag but at least they are real.

I'm not sure why this side is so out of focus, I already put everything away, I'll have to try again another time.

I got an email Thursday that my hopefully real looking fake stag for my Vaquero are shipping soon, ahead of schedule by a couple weeks if it happens. Fingers crossed that they look good enough for the best BBQ.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Nice work thinning those down and bobbing them Bawanna! They go well with the CBob
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Well after a rather lousy day at work especially following a great weekend covered with sawdust I got home to find my Stag Grips from Altamont delivered a couple weeks earlier, they even sent an email a few days ago saying they would ship soon.
    I'm very pleased with them, they fit pretty well, better than the factory. They are slightly thicker, a little more hand filling but not bad.
    The best part is even though they are fake they look durn close to the real thing, probably best I've seen. I'm tickled.
    Photo evidence.

Here's a better picture of the CBob with the "real stag". Wish the other side was closer to this, but it works.

And a shot of the happy couple. Now I just need a BBQ and a really sweet leather set up and I'm good to go.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

The Altamont grips do look pretty good on your Vaquero It's also a plus that you won't have to worry about them shrinking or cracking.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Good point, they are pretty robust and heavy but they won't swell and shrink. Hopefully not brittle, I don't drop my guns too often so shouldn't be an issue.

If I get caught by desperados and have to drop my guns, I'll look for a soft place to toss em.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Both look really nice. I'm a fan, and that stag on the Cbob looks pretty awesome. Maybe now a little tasteful engraving to complete the BBQ guns?

Wish I had a brother in law or knew somebody I had some dirt on so I could get some engraving. I'd love to engrave both of these and maybe a couple others. I love engraving but it has to be scary. Seems like it would be awful easy to mess up and unlike my grips you can't toss em in the fireplace and start over again.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I wonder if those birdshead stags would fit a Single Seven?
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I don't know anyone local with one I could try them on. I just spent about an hour fine tuning them, they felt a little thick to my hand so I worked from the inside and slimmed them down probably about a 1/16" giver or take, the color is all through and pretty soft so sanding and filing was pretty easy.
    I also took down the high spots so they fit the frame a bit better. I make work the butt down even more and taper it a bit, that would help slim a bit also and I think look better too.

I'm really liking these things, apparently fitting the stainless models is kind of hit or miss with several makers and these were just a tiny bit large so I can get a perfect fit and not have to work on the frame itself.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan