CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: P380 Range Report

Default P380 Range Report

Got a chance to put a few more rounds through my P380. If anything, I enjoy shooting this pistol more than I did when I first got it. The trigger, always very good, has gotten even smoother, and it is far more accurate than it has any right to be.

But I still have some trepidation. On this last outing, it choked a couple of times (failure to return to battery) on some loose Federal Hyda Shok ammo that I had in the bag, and for the first time I had the same issue on two occasions with the ARX ammo it previously liked.

On the positive side, it continues to eat up Critical Defense like candy, and even seems to like the Hornady XTP rounds (first time I tried it in the Kahr).

So, I'm torn. Should I be worried that the P380 is seemingly finicky and easy to throw off its game, or should I be thrilled that I have an otherwise great micro pistol that just happens to only like a couple of (excellent) SD ammos??

How many rounds do you have through it

Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    How many rounds do you have through it
    Gotta be 350-400 by now.

Cleaning and grip are critical on the micro pistols, I use tetra grease on all my slides. I have a Taurus Spectrum that requires a super firm grip, it's about 10 ounces.

Magazine issue maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Cleaning and grip are critical on the micro pistols, I use tetra grease on all my slides. I have a Taurus Spectrum that requires a super firm grip, it's about 10 ounces.
    Grip not an issue (I shoot a lot of micros), and I clean and grease it thoroughly every time I shoot. Slip 2000 on the slides. And I never let my round count get too high any time I take it out.

Magazine issue maybe?
    I took the preventative step of installing Magguts in my magazines, so I'm guessing I've got that addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    I took the preventative step of installing Magguts in my magazines, so I'm guessing I've got that addressed.
    I would try it with stock magazine parts. I have a PM9 that I haven’t modified anything on and have never had a malfunction.

I would try it with stock magazine parts. I have a PM9 that I haven’t modified anything on and have never had a malfunction.
    I probably should have clarified: I started out with the magazines stock, and it was just as ammo-picky then as it is now. I originally installed the Magguts because I started seeing issues right off the bat with a couple of other types of ammo (some cheap range FMJ and the Underwood Extreme Defender as a couple of examples), and I figured I should follow the lead of a lot of other owners who have reported their Kahr mags feeding better when the Magguts are installed.