Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Toying with changing out my sight(s) - what's out there for the CM9

Default Toying with changing out my sight(s) - what's out there for the CM9

i've been eyeballing the trijicon front sight Kahr sells on their shopping forum :https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/si...t-kwtfnskt.asp

seems many people change out the front and leave the rear original - Kahr also offers the combo :https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/si...ts-kwtnskt.asp

being my first Kahr firearm im at somewhat of a disadvantage at to what else is out there

who's done the change-out (front, rear or both), what'd you go with and how do you like them?

i'll try to research everything posted before i decide

thx

-Richard

ps, nothing i have to polish, my fingers are toast for awhile

The Trijican night sights Kahr sells are pretty much the only option for the C series Kahrs.

Dawson Precision also has a similar set, but it is attached by flaring the bottom of the posts with an included tool. The Kahr setup includes TWO screws and a tiny tube of red loctite.

I have both front and rear Trijican sights from Kahr on my CM9. My CW45 has just the front.

Kahr just had the set (front & rear) on sale for $60 over the July 4th weekend, so I bought them for my CW9. Installed them a couple of days ago.

At first, I kind of preferred just the front sight with the post style original rear sight, but I've grown used to both front and rears on my CM9. Actually, either setup is fine by me.

If you don't have a sight pusher, the front only setup is the way to go. Those rear sights are super tight!

Whichever you choose, here's some tips on installation.

Surround the original front sight with masking tape before you break it off with a pair of pliers to prevent scratching your slide. I used a set of lineman's pliers to break mine off.
    Be generous with the included red loctite - you can clean up any that oozes out afterwards with a q-tip.
    Go easy on those little screws - just snug them up. Let the loctite do it's thing.
    Let the loctite dry for 24 hrs afterwards before wiping the gun down or applying oil.

Test fit the front sight first to make sure it sits flush. All mine did.

Good luck! It's really an easy install....

I find the original sights on my CM9 perfect for my use, carry and target, the only advantage for the night sights would be for night carry or perhaps home security at night. The back sight on mine was so loose it fell out within a couple weeks use as I explained in another thread I returned it to Kahr for replacement seems fine now.
    I had night sights on an mk9 and never felt they were an advantage in my shooting style. Having said that it would be a simple install if you wish to go that route.

I too was unhappy with the stock sights on my CM9; I have sights now that are visible in any lighting conditions. TFOs! (GRN./YEL.) Iwanted my CM9 set up as my EDC/COMP.BUG DIV. gun and this is the best choice for me; now I see the sights so well with my 73 yr. old eyes, I took the LazerMax off. the price of the milling the front dovetail (which Kahr refused to do) is worth every cent and would do again. this also makes more sight options available to choose from.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER

I installed a fiber optic front sight. I like the bar-dot design so I kept the rear sight stock and painted it florescentSAM_1469.jpg.

I bought my CW9 almost 10 years ago and just a couple months later Kahr was offering the Trij sights for the CW. I had a little more expendable cash then so I called Kahr and arranged to send my slide and had them install the sights. I've been a happy camper with the package, but since the half life of tritium is only about 12 years I'll probably be in the dark before I turn 70.

Now that I think about it, this is probably my first post here in several months.

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

I can confirm it's been several months, just about ready to form a posse or search party?
    Hows everything in mr surveyors world these days?
    There were some medical issues as I recall quite some time back.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I can confirm it's been several months, just about ready to form a posse or search party?
    Hows everything in mr surveyors world these days?
    There were some medical issues as I recall quite some time back.
    Yep, I only thought the little episode in January 2015 would be "it" for a few of my 60's years ... strange, unexplained cyst growing right beside my appendix messed up the appendix, 6-8 inches of colon and 6-8 inches of small intestine. They tried going in with the "lapro" tools, but ended up guttin me from the sternum to the belly button. The docs didn't need to know it, but I was back in the field, rather slow moving, two weeks after. I was able to make my West Texas dove hunt that September. Only thought all was under control until late April of 2016 I started getting whacked with a strange electrical shock to my right inner ear. I won't go into the med term stuff, but turned out to be a cranial nerve in my skull that was shorting out - kinda like rubbing the insulation off a hot wire as it turned out to be a vein had come in contact with the nerve and rubbed the sheathing off of it. It took a couple of months and a lot of random pains before the folks at the ER decided to investigate the issue. They had never seen that particular malady but came up with an accurate diagnosis. Did I mention the pain. July and August they had me seeing a neurologist that wanted to keep me on expensive nerve blocker meds (and keep paying for office visits to her) for the rest of my life. It kept getting worse ... a lot worse, until finally I got a referral to a surgeon that knew how to handle it. First surgery (back of skull) was towards the end of September, and I figure the surgeon at least wrapped some friction tape around the nerve - second surgery was about 12 hours after I had gotten home from the first rodeo. Turned out I had a blood clot and brain bleed in the front of my skull ... no explanation as to where that originated. The second go-round was probably what caused my equilibrium issues, memory loss of short term events and other things. I'd guess I'm around 75% of what I was before the brain thing hit in 2016, but I was already past 62 when that started. Not sure how much of this crappy current condition is due to the crazy med issues and how much is just natural aging. Some people didn't get to enjoy a normal childhood ... I didn't get to experience a normal "oldhood".

Crazy thing, I still had to (obviously still do) try to keep my business going during all this to help with the household budget. It's been a real ride.

Sorry for the thread hijack

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

You've got an excellent attitude and outlook considering all the challenges you've faced mr surveyor. My hat's off to you, I don't think I could be so stoic about it. I too am facing some "old age" issues, though not nearly as serious (yet), as yours. Two things I have learned, youth truly is wasted on the young, we don't appreciate our body's wonderful ability to adapt and heal when our body is young. And two, growing old is not for sissies, it's hard work and requires much attention to detail.

I hope that things even out for you and you do get to enjoy that normal "old hood" yet.