Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Mag lips mod

Default Mag lips mod

Hello,
    It been a while since I've posted here. Been busy cutting 80% AR lowers for 5.52 and 9 MM ' s
    As some here know I've posted here with pics of our customized pistols, and mods I've done to their workings.

Again as some here may know the wife and I have two customized K9's and two PM9's They are our e.d.c. units depending on the time of the year.
    We love them except for the rounds dropping out of the mags, especially when in a pouch.
    First thing I did years ago was to tighten all the mag lips, it was kind of a fix.
    So I formed dimples in the mag lips where the bullet extractor groove would sit. Now there's a distinctive click when sitting a round
    We've been using this mod for the past 3 months, shooting two to three times a week ad haven't had an issue
    Attached Images Attached Images

How’d you make the dimples? Was it as simple as using a punch and mallet? I like it.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Excellent post jg rider(good to see you stopping by)!
    I tried it on a 7 round, 9mm and it definitely seems like it will eliminate the "loosing rounds from a spare magazine thing"

For those thinking about doing this, I'd advise you try to closely mimic the work in the photos jg rider provided,
    I'd also say don't use an automatic punch (or at least try it in a different spot than I ). I didn't go up as high on the lip as jg rider did and cracked a lip. I had an empty case in place, but wonder if using a brass rod instead might have saved that lip.

Beyond that, the mod seems to work fine. I'll carry this mag when I go the range to see if it holds up and how well it holds the top round over time.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    How’d you make the dimples? Was it as simple as using a punch and mallet? I like it.
    OK,here's how I did it
    Tools used were a sharp chisel. a dull chisel, a vise, a hammer, 7 dummy rounds, and a small thin screw driver

Loaded the dummy rnds into the mag to act as an anvil
    Put the mag in a vise with the base pad bottomed out for support
    I used the sharp chisel to cut a light crease across the top of the feed lips where the extractor groove would be. (Think starter punch before drilling )
    Then I used the hammer and the dull chisel to create the dimples into the sharp chisel creases, one at a time.
    I hammered into the lips at a slight angle so that the top dummy rnd. acted like a anvil

Oh I forgot ! To keep the top dummy rnd. from moving foreward I stuck a thin screw driver into the mag, in front of the bullet nose.
    I don't think I forgot anything
    John

Oh one more thing. Some time back I came up with kind of a fix for keeping the top rnd. popping up by adjusting the feed lips closer together. I made a tool for the adjustments, out of a piece of 1/4" aluminum square rod. That post should still be around

Hi Greg,
    It's been a while. You know what they say about a bad penny. Hope all is well with you and yours.
    You know when I do post here I always look forward to greetings from Bawanna and you.

You know it would be nice if there was a machinist around here who could make a tool to do dimples.
    I'm thinking of a u shaped unit with two punches at an angle at each end that could be used to hammer stamp in the dimples on both feed lips at the same time.

Always nice when you stop by. I"ve been AWOL for a couple weeks. I did get 3 extensive solo range visits this year on vacation which was awesome.
    I'll do a post after a bit and share my joy. Putting stuff away and getting back to normal. Got home middle of the night last night but great to wake up at home and not look forward to a day of driving.

Thanks for stopping by.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

HELLO boss !
    I started to worry when you didn't reply almost immediately. Greg and you are almost always the first to reply to my bird brain ideas.
    I didn't get any notification that there was a new reply to this thread or I would have responded sooner.
    I hope all is good with you and yours.

Been working on a new 1911 build for the last several days. I'll post it in the 1911 section