Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel gun itch with solutions

Default Wheel gun itch with solutions

I once went through a nub nosed revolver phase, then parted with them as I could not carry such heavy pieces, preferred more rounds over more power and generally just did not shoot them well. I went through a similar phase with 1911’s, buying officer sized deals as I though they just looked soooo cool! But again, could not shoot them well, heft, etc. and prefer 5”ers these days.
    I think I have myself and my gun “needs” (Lol! We know they are just desires.) figured out this time. I have a few I keep for carry an a few for pretty much just cleaning/fondling, bet everything else is all about punching paper at the range.
    This time around I’ve got a few longer barreled deals, with real sights, not “trench” sights. Not bashing them, as the first gun that I ever “did good” with at the range was a S&W model 10 38 spcl. I just know that the better sights will give me even better results.
    The one I’m going to test out tomorrow is is a Taurus 941 in 22 WMR. Funny thing is, I bought it to shoot cheap at the range. I thought, “22 rounds are cheap!”. Yep, 22’s are, but not 22 WMR’s! I can shoot a 9 for cheaper! Anyway, I’ll post pics below. It’s shiny (I like) and the almost full lug makes it look like a mid sized revolver, even though it is more comparative to a little j frame. Came with a nice speed loader too! I think I read that they don’t make them anymore. I did all of the standard revolver checks and everything passed with flying colors.

I also got a S&W 686. Newer one with lock, but lock has been deleted. I already have some .357 and .38 stocked up, so that will be easy to test out. I’ve ordered some grips for it and the 22 WMR. The bigger one is a Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casull. I just went up the Georgia to visit my dad. I took it with me and shot it a bit up there. My son filmed me and it’s shameful to see how evident flab is about yourself when the recoil goes through you in slow motion. He laughingly showed it to me a few times. Both have the longer barrels I wanted and have real sights, so I look forward to spending some time with them at the range. I will do a few double action shots, but mostly single. I’m a 1911 guy, other than carry time, so single will get me as close to my wimpy trigger finger desires as could be! : ) If I can remember to snap some shots I’ll post them up.

Nice iron! I'm such a sucker for polished stainless. Taurus seems to have stopped making .22LR revolvers, unless I'm just not looking in the right place. I'm thinking about a Charter Pathfinder 4", myself. Not too big, not too small, decent trigger.

How's the trigger on the .22? I find that .22 revolvers always have heavy triggers. I think it just takes more energy to fire a rim fired cartridge. The only exception I have encountered is older High Standard models.
    NRA Benefactor

The Charter I tried in the store wasn't as heavy as a S&W rimfire trigger, that's all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    How's the trigger on the .22? I find that .22 revolvers always have heavy triggers. I think it just takes more energy to fire a rim fired cartridge. The only exception I have encountered is older High Standard models.
    You know I don’t know. I have only done a few single action dry fires with it, while catching the hammer as it falls, so not really even a good feel for it. I will certainly be able to answer that after today. I too had read that the triggers on the WMR revolvers can be a bit stiff due to needing stronger springs so that the hammer can wallop that pin into the casing. I’m hoping it is not so bad that I can’t shoot it well. It will be gone quickly if I can not as it’s whole purpose (for me at least) is to have a fun, but also accurate little bore wheel gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Nice iron! I'm such a sucker for polished stainless. Taurus seems to have stopped making .22LR revolvers, unless I'm just not looking in the right place. I'm thinking about a Charter Pathfinder 4", myself. Not too big, not too small, decent trigger.
    Thanks, I’m a sucker for the shiny one’s too! I looked at a Charter too, but it was blued, so it didn’t grab me. It seemed like a good gun too, as far as revolver checks go. I’m amazed at what you can get a Charter or Taurus for when compared to a .22 S&W. Those S&W’s have quite the following apparently as people won’t turn them loose without you handing over a mortgage payment!

https://kygunco.com/Search/AjaxSearc...e=0&MaxPrice=0

A Circuit Judge is another variation on a wheel gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    https://kygunco.com/Search/AjaxSearc...e=0&MaxPrice=0

A Circuit Judge is another variation on a wheel gun.
    Those are so cool! I couldn’t believe what I was seeing first time I saw one.

Range Report!
    As expected, the .22 WMR in double action was forget about it heavy. Not gritty, just looong and heavy. I was not very accurate. In single action she was quite the plinker. At about 10 yds I was shooting respectable groups, moved it to about 15 and it (or should I say I) was still holding combat worthy groupings. I really enjoyed shooting it.
    The Smith 686 was AWESOME! Guy I got it from had it (or maybe it was him) smoothed out a bit. Double action was not so bad (world better than the 941) and single action was like one of my better 1911’s. Very happy with that one!
    When I shot the Raging Bull, I did not do as well as I am still getting used to it. I’m sure I was flinchy, wobbly, etc. It is my first big bore, so I will have to get a bit more relaxed with it. We got a bit of a crowd behind us in the range, and out in the lobby (behind the glass) before getting kicked off the pistol range. I incorrectly assumed that since it was still a handgun that we were ok, but apparently not. Said I would have to move down to the rifle range. My thumb was already numb, so we just agreed to leave. I was very apologetic, and they were very nice about it as I go there often enough that they all sorta know I’m a regular.

Some still shots of the right side fireballs. Wish he could have angled the camera to have caught both sides, or both fireballs as they came out simultaneously: